God I love ATV's

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

God I love ATV's

Post by madman4570 »

Logged off here about 45 mins ago and since went out started and warmed up my Grizz 700
Did 300ft of driveway and a 50 X 50ft parking lot
Also the 150ft dog walk driveway out back(go do do)

Done. Had about 4.5 inches of wet snow!

Oh then zipped up and down plowed driveway showing wife--I'm Bad!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: God I love ATV's

Post by Blaine »

And you're scared of motorcycles? :shock: More people get hurt on those 4 wheel death traps than motorcycles 8)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I love mine, but I don't drive it like there is a fire chasing me.
I use it mostly for hauling firewood to the truck.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

BlaineG wrote:And you're scared of motorcycles? :shock: More people get hurt on those 4 wheel death traps than motorcycles 8)

:lol: :wink:

Got me bro!
Knew I was going to get spanked on that one!

When I pull wheelies with the plow coming down it makes a BOOM! :lol:

No helmet either! :oops:
92&94
Senior Levergunner

Post by 92&94 »

You can keep 'em :mrgreen:

I had a couple jobs where they were the easiest way to haul stuff, but usually I prefer either a pickup or dirtbike, both are safer :lol:

One of those jobs was a site way up in the mountains in Mexico, and a driller flipped the ATV over, cracking a collarbone and gashing his head open. I had to drive him out to town on a bad road to find a doc for stitches. Figured the collarbone would keep but the head needed stitching up before too much time passed. Took all day to find a town with a doctor. Looking back that was quite a day, but at the time I didn't enjoy it much.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Really, the ATV is extremely safe.
First you have to do your homework and just pick the right one. :lol:

But in all honesty don't know what that driller was doing but lets take my 700 Grizz.
Now out back I have a log trail running up mountain along a gorge. It is steep. About 13% grade.

Certain Manufactures and certain models have developed engine braking systems beyond your wildest dreams.
My Yamaha 700 Grizz Outdoorsman Edition coming down the log road at 13 % grade does not need any braking applied. That meaning front or rear discs applied. The engine braking holds it. Not many do.

Now, the dirt bike deal being safer :lol: Had them all my life growing up. The only thing making them safer in some regards is the weight. However no dirt bike going same speed as the ATV will climb like a ATV.

Super steep inclines dirt bikes are dependent on one thing to get them to desired location. Speed. Enough momentum to propel the single rear tire shot like a bullet up a steep grade. Try it slow, try it fast halfway through incline and you will be eating the front tire while being shot off bike like a bucking bronco.

Take that same grade, put you 4X4 Diff Lock on ATV and just creep up it while leaning a tad frontwards no problem.
Take that dirt bike coming down steep leaf covered log road. Apply rear brake slightly and work front brake as needed while trying to keep control. Not! It will slide.I have yet to ever find a dirt bike that performs any type of engine braking like a 4x4 ATV if again you get the right ATV.

I had a light ATV,I used to lift front end up set front tires in pickup bed and easily lift rear end in. Very light. Think whole ATV weighed 230lbs Suzuki 250 Quadracer. Great for racing but for woods on hills nothing like a 4x4 atv.

Honest guys for 99% of the people a nice 4x4 atv I know of nothing that beats it for some things. When I got mine it was unheard of to have a 700cc 4x4 workhorse ATV that weighed within 600lbs. The frame, drivetrain, every part was like carefully thought out. As how a light off road race car might be. By that I mean special alloy parts that were lighter but as strong or stronger. I tried them all.
Also this was when the EPS came out. Electric Power Steering. Wife can one handed ride it about anywhere. Easy as pie!

Honestly, I have never ever even wore my helmet with this machine. Should I ? probably. Did I with dirt bikes? Yes!
The 250 Quadracer ATV ? Yes!

usually, this machine I am going under 20mph and on a field, log road, driveway, or mild trail. Extremely mundane!
If you would wear a helmet for that,better get it out for mowing the lawn with a riding lawnmower too. :wink: :D
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

madman4570 wrote:Also the 150ft dog walk driveway out back(go do do)
Hey! You'll have a nice flat space to run the lawn mower.

:wink:

:lol:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

AFAIC it aint an "ATV" unless it's an Argo or got Tracks... :twisted:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I like my 4wd 'Utility Tractor' for the same reasons; not as 'athletic', but it will do, slowly, whatever we need around the place.

It WAS kinda fun when we had our John Deere 650 Bulldozer, though. . . :mrgreen:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Yeah,
It is always a hoot to fire up my Galion 503 road grader!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I got to watch this puppy in action in 1968.....The electric cable for the 13,500hp motors was as thick as a man......
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Silver_Spade

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I love my Polaris 700 sportsman x2. How can you argue with an ATV WITH A 2 FOOT DUMPING PICKUP BED, AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION, AND IN ABOUT 30 SECONDS CAN CONVERT THE BED TO A SECOND SEAT FOR MRS. FORDWANNABE. I admit I am a slow and go kinda rider though, it is mainly for work around the house and deer camp.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

madman4570 wrote:The 250 Quadracer ATV ? Yes!

D
Do you remember Quadzilla ? That 4 wheeler left quite an impression on this youngster in about '86 o r87
----- Doug
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Old Ironsights wrote:AFAIC it aint an "ATV" unless it's an Argo or got Tracks... :twisted:

Neighbor has an Argo :lol:
I went by him on his big field at 62 mph on my Grizz! :lol:

Oops , shouldn't be telling you boys that one! :oops:

I would ride around with him sometimes in that thing, except for the water deal honestly kinda kludged! :lol:
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

fordwannabe wrote:I love my Polaris 700 sportsman x2. How can you argue with an ATV WITH A 2 FOOT DUMPING PICKUP BED, AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION, AND IN ABOUT 30 SECONDS CAN CONVERT THE BED TO A SECOND SEAT FOR MRS. FORDWANNABE. I admit I am a slow and go kinda rider though, it is mainly for work around the house and deer camp.

That is a unreal machine! :wink:

I was hung up on the size/weight factor deal when getting mine. Think your monster is around 900lbs which in many many ways is a good thing too. I would take one of those in a NY minute. The killer they were the same price too! In fact mine might have been more because they would not come down one nickel! And boy did I try! Mine base price with tax was $9500
Course then you got add the following 5 year warranty,set of 4 V-Bar chains,Cycle Country complete Plow Package being the electric one not the manual one,Warn 3500lb winch,tires filled with pink Honda sealant(yep wouldn't even give me that), Mid Atlantic 3500 GVW 5'x8' trailor, and a Stihl 260 Pro chainsaw hooked to front lobster claw front rack in case winching don't work and cutting needs doing! Add er up! :lol:

But anyhow yes that beast of yours should out pull/work mine any day of the week. I cannot imagine what that one can do if my little 600lb one plows 18" of snow without chains up my 300+ ft dirt driveway and in regular 4x4 not using diff lock! :mrgreen:

You have an unreal awesome machine. I love those!
Polaris really had their thinking cap on right with that wonderful machine!
Guys, what he has I don't think you can beat it?
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I had an ATC 200 to start and I got that after three wheelers were no longer made . That thing was worth every dollar I had in it even though it wasn't the most safe thing in the world , later u got a Kawasaki Prarie 360 4x4 later I got a Kawasaki Brute Force 750 4x4 then about three years later they brought the 750 out with fuel injection do I traded for one of those and have had it now about six or seven years . As long as you don't get stupid when riding it's the greatest thing since sliced bread . I will say I never owned a helmet until I got the first 750 but I rarely use it any longer .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Several times that Brute Force has come out of the woods with me riding , a deer on the front rack and two deer on the back rack . One occasion it came out loaded that way and dragging two more deer behind it . I made the other fellows walk lol's !
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

In Washington, about the only place you can ride them is in a dedicated ATV park....legally, anyway. The logging and forest service roads require a street legal vehicle, and you may not drive off the road. I can't say that I'm sorry about this. Usually, the ATVs or dirt bikes are ripping thru the area with loud mufflers, and totally peeing off all the hunters.....

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

I take my chances with my dirtbikes --- LOL, I prefer to take my Jeep as far as I can in the woods now -- when it doesn't go any further, that's when I walk (heater and enclosed space for your gear is nice)

The little Japanese pickups are cool too -- the tiny ones with a dump bed --- they can go as many places as a Jeep (well, the places I take my Jeep that is) and are cheaper than a side x side .

The 4 wheelers you guys are referencing are cool machines though, no doubt about it
----- Doug
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

BlaineG wrote:In Washington, about the only place you can ride them is in a dedicated ATV park....legally, anyway. The logging and forest service roads require a street legal vehicle, and you may not drive off the road. I can't say that I'm sorry about this. Usually, the ATVs or dirt bikes are ripping thru the area with loud mufflers, and totally peeing off all the hunters.....
If I were in Washington state and had the same setup I have in Virginia the state could KMA I'd use the thing on my own property as I saw fit .
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

6pt-sika wrote:Several times that Brute Force has come out of the woods with me riding , a deer on the front rack and two deer on the back rack . One occasion it came out loaded that way and dragging two more deer behind it . I made the other fellows walk lol's !
Nephew has a 750 Brute Force. That is another real barn burner 6pt. Tons of power and it really goes too! :mrgreen: One fine machine!

Blaine I know you get yahoos wherever you go. Its a shame though responsible riders can't enjoy that state's many fine riding places.
If I could just get you guys up to Tug Hill, Adirondacks you would flip out. And not the flip as in over either.

The big 4 stroke machines like these guys have at a short distance from you coming up say a log trail heading towards you, you might not even hear them. They are very quiet.

All the farmers around these parts be it animal farm, fruit farm, or just someone with land, lost without their ATV(s)!
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

They're the modern replacement for a horse.

Don't own one, but have ridden many, usually in the utility role. Worked with a friend's while setting up blinds and stands on his property, his is a Yamaha? I think with the front load deck and the rear deck/convertible seat setup, and getting people and supplies across large stretches of land is definitely easier with wheels (in several cases, trucks came along as well).

The military uses them for Special Forces use with a roll cage attached. Since they tend to be doing pretty extreme stuff, it makes sense, and gives them extra handy attachment points for antitank rockets, bags of grenades and all that too.

They're safe, as long as the driver has a brain. The little Gator ATV-based trucks are also very handy, my unit used to have a couple for when Humvees or pickup trucks were too big and we still needed to drop gear or people in a hurry somewhere. Usually for rotating sentries out on a really large area (having a one mile outer perimeter, etc), bringing a guy, ruck, ammo can and weapon out or in quick was nice.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

:oops: :oops: I must be getting old and soft.....I can't imagine anything better than this Wrangler I got...dry, warm...nothing electric in the solid doors, so I don't have to worry about ruining some million dollar winder, or speaker. If I can't get there in this, I don't need to go there (and it's cool for around town)

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

madman4570 wrote: Nephew has a 750 Brute Force. That is another real barn burner 6pt. Tons of power and it really goes too! :mrgreen: One fine machine!
If I could just get you guys up to Tug Hill, Adirondacks you would flip out. And not the flip as in over either.
The young lady that sold me the 360 Prarie also sold me the first Brute Force , well she actually didn't sell it I wanted one before I went to the store for some warrenty work on the 360 Prarie !

The 360 Prarie I could take up through my woods wide F'n open with no worries about hitting a tree . When she sold me the Brute Force she told me "You bought a different animal BEWARE" . And me being me I said uhm yeah whatever . I took it home backed it off the truck and drove it around slowly for 15 minutes (break in lol's) . Then I hammered the throttle , I scooted back on the seat and had to hold on as if it were a run away horse . Next day I went back and got a helment from her , she laughed and said I told you so !

It took me about a week to get used to it compared to the 360 . I still can't hold it wide open thru the woods and have been on it on a granvel straight road at 60 MPH . But those days are past me now , incidently 60 MPH ain't the most pleasent on ITP tractor tread tires all around !

I have been relatively close to Tug Hill my buds formerly of Doylestown/Newfoundland PA used to always wanna take me there to snowmobile !

I have however drank more then my fair share of beer in Monticello NEW YORK at a Country Inn on the banks of the Delaware river . I suppose you'd call that the Catskills .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

MrMurphy wrote: The little Gator ATV-based trucks are also very handy.
I wouldn't mind adding one of the new 850 Sport Model Gators or the Kawasaki Teryx to my fleet of outdoor vehicles .

I realize there's no need for speed in the utility ATV's I use but I gotta admit whether I need it or use I still love it !

What did Tom Cruise say in Top Gun "there's a need for speed" . While it ain't always practical usually , I still agree 200% !
92&94
Senior Levergunner

Post by 92&94 »

You're right really, that an ATV is safer than a bike on the whole. They also make it very easy to get very complacent about doing dumb hot dog stuff, and when an accident happens, usually the rider has no helmet :mrgreen:

I only ever used to use stuff like this on the job anyway, and jeeps and trucks were better because you could haul lots more samples. ATV's were great for hauling bundles of claim posts though, I hated doing that in states where you couldn't take anything off the road.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I find your responses to some of these conditions, intriquing.
Can you elaborate on the jobs you have had, that cause you to respond the way you do?
92&94
Senior Levergunner

Post by 92&94 »

Did a lot of summer work while in college, mostly as a surveyor's rod man, lugging salt water for geophysics surveys, and replacing PVC pipe claim posts in CA with wood ones. The surveyor did a lot of claim work too. It was good work when it turned up, I could pay for a whole semester with about a month of work (U of A was still a very economical school then).

After graduating I worked for a few years in gold and copper exploration before the bottom fell out right after that whole BreX scam. There was a ton of work in Mexico then, and it was still pretty tame down there. I mostly had to sit at the drill rig and log the core or chips, maybe go out with the sample crew and write descriptions as they did the sampling.

Seems like we were always short of trucks in Mexico. There was always some office guy back in the city who wanted to drive a company truck around and we had to fight with him to get one for actual field work. In the US, we always had vehicles, but finding willing and able sample crews was a real pain, which it never was in Mexico.

Most of the exploration work dried up around 1997, and by the time it came back I was doing other things. I don't really miss the unstable nature of mineral exploration, but it sure was nice working in several different places every year. Never got bored with a new place to see every few months :mrgreen:
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

That is what I should have done instead of aircraft, would have been more adventurous. :oops:
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

That is what I should have done instead of aircraft, would have been more adventurous. :oops:
44-40 Willy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 44-40 Willy »

I've got my Polaris Diesel put up in the barn for winter. After the temp drops below 45F, it just doesn't want to start. I'll get it out on warmer days and ride it around to keep the battery charged up. Mrs Willy has a Honda Rubicon that just keeps going and going.

I'll say one thing about an ATV. They sure beat dragging a deer out by hand. Just load him up on the back, tie him down and go.
44-40 Winchester. Whacking varmits and putting meat on the table since 1873.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
92&94
Senior Levergunner

Post by 92&94 »

Mescalero wrote:That is what I should have done instead of aircraft, would have been more adventurous. :oops:
More adventurous perhaps, but probably not as profitable :mrgreen:
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Rokon anyone? I always wanted to play with one of these for a few days.....http://www.rokon.com/

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Yeah,
I made good coin.
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

I am 72 years old. I and my favorite wife are both more than heavy. We live in SW utah and that is considered about the best atv trails in the U.S. Mostly BLM too. South of us there is sand dunes. All around us is mountain country. When we moved here I bought the best 2 up atv made at THAT time. A Bombardier 650 Traxtor max. I also have a plow for it. Nothing stops this one lunger 650cc. I do want to update to a sise by side. We also are members of a large club of mostly retiree`s here. Actualy I am a loner but its smart to ride with someone else in this country. In minuets you can be so far back in, in steep country you might not walk out if you are old and 300 lbs. I once pulled another couple out about 12 miles. He had hit a rock just wrong and knocked out his oil drane plug. We live near the piute trail system that has about 1,500 miles of wilderness trails. Other systems too near bryce canyon and zion national parks. LOVE IT! Here are a few pictures.

Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

Some more.

Check this out. This is what I really want (but cant afford). A can am commander with this cab kolpin is comeing out with.
http://www.gearup2go.com/default/can-am ... d-cab.html
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Bill, I wish I could have fun with my wife like that, but she won't even take a ride in the Jeep with me!
Maybe someday---- I can also show her your picture to show her how much fun it is :D
----- Doug
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

BlaineG wrote:Rokon anyone? I always wanted to play with one of these for a few days.....http://www.rokon.com/
I go on a British Stalking Forum and there's a bloke from South Dakota or North Dakota on there that goes by the name "Muir" that has a Rokon . He sings the praises of that thing .

I'm still more inline with the Kawasaki 750 Brute Force or perhaps the Arctic Cat 1000 !

Although once the wife's over here I'm thinking something along the lines of a Kawasaki Teyrx or a John Deere 850 Sport Model Gator !

But then I'm not what I would call a regular trail/group rider my use for an ATV or UTV is pretty much hauling deer period and or using it to go in and clean trails hauling chainsaw gas oil etc !

I also don't use a whole lot of accessories other then skid plates , ITP tractor tires , gun boot , winch and this metal front basket . I've had the basket ever since I got the first Brute Force and I use it awhile then remove it for a year or so but it seems to keep coming back . Works wonders when the deer are on the uh small side !

Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

I could be wrong but I do know bombardier made some models for john deere. Bombardier is now can am. Out here Polaris RZs are big. For the money they are acknowledged to be about the best side by side. The forestry service and BLM in some areas have 50" bridges you have to squeeze through to legaly ride the trails. The original Rzar is the only side by side that could squeeze through. However there is a push to do away with many of those bridges. The thinking was/is to keep off jeeps and 4wd trucks from tearing up the trails and country. I have only encounterd the bridges a half dozen times or so. You dont want to illegaly go around them or it will get costly for you.
This has been a bad year for my trail riding. My wife had a major foot operation this last may and she is still laid up. Hopefully I will hit the trails hard next spring. Its my favorite thing to do out here. A year or two ago I rolled the quad over on us at a low speed. Thankfully two other couples we were riding with lifted it off us. I am not real sure I could have by myself. Not only that but we were about 10 miles back in the mountains.

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Check this out. This is what I really want (but cant afford). A can am commander with this cab kolpin is comeing out with.
http://www.gearup2go.com/default/can-am ... d-cab.html
Looks like it could be street legal....

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

44-40 Willy wrote:I've got my Polaris Diesel put up in the barn for winter. After the temp drops below 45F, it just doesn't want to start. I'll get it out on warmer days and ride it around to keep the battery charged up. Mrs Willy has a Honda Rubicon that just keeps going and going.

I'll say one thing about an ATV. They sure beat dragging a deer out by hand. Just load him up on the back, tie him down and go.
Willy,

Something is not right here. It would be a cold day in he## if I owned an expensive ATV and in cold weather it wouldn't start ?
Look, mine is not a diesel, however it is a big engine 700cc and mine does not have an auxiliary pull start so if the battery don't crank er your screwed. But it would pull hard, but that part I wish they did put one on it! :roll:

Anyhow, two things I have found. And please check with the one about using CW oil.

Got my new machine in November 08, wow, this is really cool I love it. Played around with it etc. big time first month or so.
Ok, it's winter time,snow on, time for plow on ready for snow plowing. It's getting cold. Notice when I go out machine is in a big unheated garage and its about 15 degrees. Crank it, notice a difference, it blurps once not starting ?.Hit it again it blurps twice not starting ?? Hit the start button the third time it started. Sitting there thinking ??? Didin't like that. So, used it that day plowing,playing etc. Fun ,fun!

Go out next morning at 7am to garage, got 4 inches of snow temp 5 degrees, get on machine hit starter doing the blurp deal this time.
Did it about 10 friging hits waiting about 30 seconds in between hits.Get off check gas tank? yep there is a almost full tank. Tthe machine would act like it was almost going to start but it would not. WTF now I am pi##ed.
Piece of sh## I am thinking just shelled out about $15K (with all stuff with it)and a new machine won't start. WTF :twisted:

Storm in, really ready to rock just waiting to call Dealer for the come get this thing deal.
Wife says, settle down! Says I am growling! :lol:

Finally get a Tech, HE DON"T KNOW ??? :lol: :roll: Thinks maybe the gas? The fools they put in the gas????

So, thank God for the internet. I dive into this problem. Course after shoveling my 300ft driveway by hand! :twisted:

Here is what I found!

1) These bigger machines especially with the single cylinders and also the twins crank hard in COLD temps. I mean it takes a lot of battery wallop to turn them over to the point of starting. You better have a pretty much fully charged battery from the get go.

2) But that isn't all of it. My problem was and I found it out myself.
My machine and I have got to believe the other mfgs,models etc. when sitting out in lets just say Zero temps for any length of time.
They need COLD WEATHER OIL. They need a charged battery.

In my case my Yamaha 700 Grizzly, for running it in COLD WEATHER,first to run it you have to get it started and to get it started every single time like it was the fourth of July you need CW Oil.

Once I changed to Cold Weather Oil guess what ???? It was fixed,it turned over in zero degrees like it was 60 out. Called Dealer and they said, WOW! :lol:

Now for the battery, you will hear people say, yep them there ATV batteries are only good for about 2-3 years. NOT!
If you get a BATTERY TENDER and use it religiously like breathing. And if you are going to get one get the tender that maintains memory in very cold weather. Meaning get the regular little more expensive tender over the Junior tender. But the Junior tender is better than no tender if it is used religiously from the get go.But verify and tell whoever you want the one for temps even for ZERO and below!

If, I was you right now at your place. I would insure I have a full tank of good fresh gas(I mean Diesel for your unit if its a diesel)
I would have a brand spanking new Interstate battery in that sucker.
I would verify if OK and have the COLD WEATHER motor oil in it.
I would have a Battery Tender always plugged into machine when not in use.

Tell you what, I went from a brand new machine not starting its first year, no make that little over a month in COLD temps to having it start perfect with SAME battery for last going on 4 years. Absolutely perfect and there is times it does not get started for months.

Now, with the Cold Weather Oil when you use it heavy in hot temps etc. verify what is OK to not overheat the engine with too of a low weight oil etc.

My case, the CW oil stays in mine year round. Even in 90 degree temps for what I do. I monitor my temp gauge etc. and have yet to have any over temp issues but that is just something to be heads up about!

That machine of yours,not being able to be used in 40 degree weather :lol: (the laugh is really a mad face)not being a smart a##
It would either be resolved, or in the summer it would be sold,when it started!

Good Luck!

ps--by you saying you have to ride unit around to get battery charged tells me you are not using a battery tender.Just know you need a charged battery to start with then use the tender from then on!

Think of a Battery Tender as a little man in that little black plastic box saying OK fellers a little juice has drained out of battery we remember what should be in here, lets slowly pour some more juice in like we remembered when it was new.
Mine has it clips permanently hooked to battery,unless you want to unhook it, and the hookup hooking to tender ends just barely come out of front of ATV about 12" also has little attached covers to put over contacts when unplugged. Think they always give you that charge direct connect to battery lead with tender unit! It works absolutely wonderful.
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

It gets cold here too at 6,000 ft. I learned to get a cheap battery minder that keeps it charged, In winter if you leave them in the open outside and dont run them you will have problems. Keep them plugged in and you will be all right.
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

Looks like it could be street legal.

Yeah, you can get quads here street legal with add on horn and lights. Around here many towns have "routes" that will get you on the nearby trails and through town especially the towns on highway 89. Many times you will see where quads have a trail along side the roads to ride. Here in cedar city if you know the published route, I have seen quads make their way to walmart etc. Once in awhile you might have to gamble a little but I haven't heard of too many riders getting into trouble.
The smaller towns here like the tourists coming to ride. Some business`s live off the revenue. Richfield hosts huge ralleys where they let atv`s drive through town etc. Its the hub for the piute trail system. Also out of panguitch near bryce canyon NP you have some other trail systems like the margut and pangusat (sp) trail systems. We live at cedar city and there is a lot of BLM out of town. You really do need a truck trailer though to ride different areas overall.