How did you first arrive at the Leverguns.com Forum?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.

How did you first arrive here at the Leverguns.com forum?

Personal invitation by a founder (Paco Kelly, JimT)
5%
Personal invitation by a member
8%
Heard about Leverguns.com on another forum
24%
Found leverguns.com on a search engine (google, etc)
59%
Huh? What's leverguns.com? Where am I?
4%

Total votes: 156
RJS
Levergunner 1.0

Post by RJS »

Where am I :? All kidding aside, this is a great place to hang out !
Ron
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Was looking for Winchester parts. Used Google, got here, great stuff :D :D :D :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
spaceman spiff
Levergunner 3.0

Post by spaceman spiff »

a google search looking for info on the .38-55 I inherited from my Grandpa. :)

Regards,
I didn't fail the test, I just found 100 ways to do it wrong.

Benjamin Franklin
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Fell off the turnip truck...
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
jengel
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jengel »

GANJIRO wrote:Back in late 2003 I had just purchased a new in box 94AE Ranger Compact in 357 mag ($230.00 hard to believe now) and was looking for loads to work up for this new toy. and stumbled onto leverguns.com This was even before my back injury, and 2 surgeries, and 3 years of rehab, before I found little Lucille in the woods, and my mom & pop were going strong, I thought they'd live forever. Boy have things changed these past several years.
Those were the days. I miss all of them too. I couldn't wait to hear more about Lucille. Any word on how she is doing?
Blackhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Blackhawk »

A drunk hippie dropped me off on his way to a PETA meeting.

Actually it started some time around 2000 on a board named www.singleaction45.com and a guy named Spike. It slowly lead this direction from there.

Johnny

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 1894 »

Looking for info on a couple of dads rifles . First forum I ever joined :D
Phil
Idahoser

Post by Idahoser »

Looking for a bad times rifle for the vehicle. Got to the Gunblast review of the Ranger Compact early in that process. I was all into latest and greatest, plastic fantastic back then. Now I've got levers and revolvers and Garands and a C&R license and and and...

ETA:
Hey, what the heck happened up there? I typed bad times and it replaced it with "bad times"

EATA:
AHHHHHHHHH!!!! It happened again!?
Boreman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Boreman »

I found Leverguns when it was back on the orig.forum. I was looking for some help for a lever drop problem I was having with a M-71 I had purchased. Got my problem fixed and been here ever since. Great group of people. Thanks to all who make this site possible. Thanks to all for some great convesation and advice. :D
Model-71's forever !!!!
NRA Patriot Life Member
Endowment level
FOPA #5
GOA,Inc
WVCDL,INC
65 in 25-20
Levergunner

Post by 65 in 25-20 »

I found it several years ago while searching for info on my Winchester 71 carbine. Been lurking & learning ever since. 8)
The only hope you have is to accept the fact that you are already dead. And the sooner you accept that, the sooner you will be able to function as a soldier is supposed to function, without mercy, without compassion, without remorse.
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

In my states Deer season of 06 I happened to miss the biggest Buck I have ever seen, and I have managed to harvest 2 bucks scoring over 160 typical. This was just a Brute. I have a Live picture of him I will post later. I believe he will score 180 as an 8 point typical. But anyway this Buck was 25 yards away sneaking fast as a Mature Buck will always do, I managed only 1 shot with my Scoped Bolt action rifle, and due to the Big, heavy tag alders he lives in my bullet never made it to the deer. After the season I Googled "Fast deer rifles", and came upon you guys. I knew I needed more than 1 shot in the stuff I hunt in. I saw the same buck this past year 2 times during archery season, my wife snapped 2 pictures of him chasing a doe 4 miles away from where I saw him that same morning while hunting him. Did not see him while Rifle Hunting with my Winchester 64A. He is still there though. His tracks prove it.Can you tell I'm Obsessed? I will not hunt any other deer in Wisconsin. To put it in short words with every needed piece of valuable information I have received from you all, I feel "You are all Family to me now" Thanks for everything. If I happen to get this Buck will you help me drag him?
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

don't remember how i got here ,but glad i did. might be the best site on the web. i consider it a privalidge to lurk here. good discussions and a LOT OF KNOWLEDGE. thank u for the education.
Bearhands
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Bearhands »

The stork brought me. :lol: I think his name was Google. I'm sure glad he did! There are a fine bunch of folks here :D
All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
Thomas Jefferson
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I found it from Gunblast.com, too. I was looking for something to accurize a .22lr rifle and found the article on Paco's Acc'rzr. I took the link to leverguns.com, bought an Acc'rzr, and somehow forgot to leave.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Mokwaw
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mokwaw »

Came over when the sixgunner forum went down.
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

Linked from John Taffin's website originally. :)
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
Buffboy
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Buffboy »

I was thinking of getting a 45-70 and then heard that they made the Rossi in 454. Hey, I already load for thatin my revolver, I like leverguns, and it sure would be nice to have a rifle that caliber too, so I went in search of information. I wound up here because of Paco's(and other board members) work with the cartridge in the Rossi's. I did a search of the board and learned a lot about the setup. I kept coming back all the time to read more, then after about a year, I signed up.
"People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence, they're begging for rule by brute force, when the biggest, strongest animals among men were always automatically 'right.' Guns ended that, and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make it work."

- L. Neil Smith
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

After hunting with only archery equipment for 15 years I bought a USRAC model 94 Legacy,around 2001. It was the worst out of the box rifle I have ever had and in frustration to cure it I searched the net and found this site. Bad gun, Great site and People. :D .Jim.
big bear
Levergunner 2.0

Post by big bear »

I was searching for info on Winchester 71 :( Wish I had never found this place , at that time I had aSavage 99 with recoil pad , a Winchester 94 (44mag), a Browning 71 carbine, now I have....waaaay too many lever actions :lol:
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

I think it was around 2003, maybe a little sooner or later, but I was just discovering online message boards. Marlin Talk operated by the Marlin firearm corp was the first I discovered & real quick after I found this one.
Cant say I'v ever regretted it. :)
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

I was one of the folks who got advanced notice the forum was being set up. I have been here since day one. This site has linage and links back to others forums for a dozen or so years. I have been involved in that family of sites for about ten years. Many of those early folks are no longer present and accounted for. That is a shame because they represent hundreds of years of experience.

Some are no longer present due to the conflict over politics and religion. Lots of intolerance in these issue.

Others just got tried of having folks who don't know squat, telling them they were wrong every time they posted something. Way to many short horns that think they know more than they do.

The real experts like Paco, John Taffin, Terry Murbach and Lee Jurris are seldom seen here anymore. Real pity...real pity!
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Charles wrote:The real experts like Paco, John Taffin, Terry Murbach and Lee Jurris are seldom seen here anymore. Real pity...real pity!

Too many don't know who Paco, John Taffin, Terry Murbach and Lee Jurris ARE or the experience and knowledge they possess. And I agree with you, it's a shame so many have moved on down the road. And yet, many have come back - even if they only lurk. It's nice to know they're around.

Another thing, a LOT of people have no idea that this forum is actually part of http://www.leverguns.com - it has a different domain name merely to facilitate the direct arrival here and to provide enough disk space and bandwidth for the forum to function.

The people are what make the forum, not so much the software or domain name, it's the people.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Well, it's kind of what I expected. Most drifted in via a search engine. Kind of the way I first found the original sixgunner.com site way back when. Anyway, I'm glad y'all DID find the place. It's a great place to hang one's @...
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

First time, it was back in '04 or '05 as I recall.

It was night time, after a long, lonely day on the road. Close on to midnight, it was shaping up to be an equally lonely night, with only the glow of the IBM Thinkpad and the hum of the hotel room air conditioner to keep me company. Out the 32nd floor window, the lights of Midtown sparkled like diamonds on black velvet, with a few winking red rubies tracking across the distant dark sky. Looking the other direction, high overhead the orange-red letters "GE" crowning a wide skyscraper signified the location of Rockefeller Center.

I had been searching, searching for quite some time. And now with the whole night ahead of me I sat down to search some more. Taking a sip of Macallans, and letting the smoky, peaty flavor flood throught my mouth and burn it's way down my throat, my fingers flew across the keyboard, typing in "Marlin 1894CB 45 Colt." Seconds later, the first page of hits appeared, but the fourth one stood out. "Leverguns.com" was highlighted in that curious shade of fuschia that Google chose to indicate URLs. IT wasn't the color, but the "Leverguns" that caught my attention. That was something new; it hadn't appeared on my personal radar before.

So I clicked on it.

Folks say that you only get to make one first impression. My first impresson of Leverguns was, "Huh. A one-forum board. They keep it simple." Another sip of Macallans, another assault on the esophagus, another rush of peaty Scotch warmth.

The board software was Snitz, a name in which I always mentally substitute the letter "h" for the "n," seeing that it's not my favorite forum software. But again I thought, "They are keeping this simple and straightforward."

Opening the forum, there was a half-page of stickys which, like everyone else, I promptly ignored. I was on a mission. This was a new firearm discussion board to explore, and the pressing issue of the 1894CB was in the back of my mind. I started scrolling down through the pages, clicking on this thread or that, where the titles caught my interest. Page changes were done with the obligatory Shi . . . , I mean, Snitz page drop-down box at the bottom of the current screen. As page after page unfolded on that laptop screen, illuminating the dark hotel room with its cold white glare, I realized I had hit the mother lode of levergun 411.

The breadth and depth of lever information was incredible. Vintage levers, modern levers, you name it. More striking was the sense of tight "community" that was apparent after reading the first few posts. Not just leverguns were under discussions, but personal goings-on in member's lives. This member was changing jobs, that one was getting ready for a hunting trip. Another member asking for prayers for an ill relative. This guy looking for a new home for a rifle, that guy looking for another rifle for which to provide a home . . .

And in the process of a couple of hours of skimming Levergun.com posts and Paco articles, as I tossed off the last of the Macallans and powered down the laptop in a dark hotel room high atop the middle of Manhattan I realized that I had found a new 'cyber home" of my own . . .

It went something like that, anyway.

Noah
Last edited by Noah Zark on Sun Mar 30, 2008 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Noah Zark wrote:First time, it was back in '04 or '05 as I recall.

It was night time, after a long, lonely day on the road. Close on to midnight, it was shaping up to be an equally lonely night, with only the glow of the IBM Thinkpad and the hum of the hotel room air conditioner to keep me company. Out the 32nd floor window, the lights of Midtown sparkled like diamonds on black velvet, with a few winking red rubies tracking across the distant dark sky. Looking the other direction, high overhead the orange-red letters "GE" crowning a wide skyscraper signified the location of Rockefeller Center.
<snip>
And in the process of a couple of hours of skimming Levergun.com posts and Paco articles, as I tossed off the last of the Macallans and powered down the laptop in a dark hotel room high atop the middle of Manhattan I realized that I had found a new 'cyber home" of my own . . .

Noah
Excellent piece of writing, Noah. 8) I never cared for the shnitz forum either, found it cumbersome and impossible to keep up on. Different strokes and all that, some folks loved it. :shock:
Paul - in Pereira

OD*
Member Emeritus

Post by OD* »

Received advanced notice from, Jim.
Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
End the cycle of hatred, don't give them a tomorrow.
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

OD wrote:Received advanced notice from, Jim.
It's good to see you posting again, sir. Did you make CSA this year?
Paul - in Pereira

OD*
Member Emeritus

Post by OD* »

Hi Paul, long time no see. :wink:

No Sir, we haven't made it to an Arkansas CSA yet, seems something is always happening here around that time in March. We are going to do our darnedest to make the next one.
Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

OD wrote:Hi Paul, long time no see. :wink:

No Sir, we haven't made it to an Arkansas CSA yet, seems something is always happening here around that time in March. We are going to do our darnedest to make the next one.
Well, so far I'm not batting a very good average myself. Only one in 9 years so far. I was hoping my brother would get a chance to go this time, but work and family obligations negated that too. Such is life. :)
Paul - in Pereira

OD*
Member Emeritus

Post by OD* »

Maybe we'll get to see each other again next year.
Last time was what, Athens, Texas? Too long in any case.
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

OD wrote:Maybe we'll get to see each other again next year.
Last time was what, Athens, Texas? Too long in any case.
Athens it was, 2004. And, by the way, thanks again for helping clear the '64 when it got jammed. My brother got his first deer with that rifle in '06, continuing a family tradition of hunting with the ol' gun.
Paul - in Pereira

ohwin94_61
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ohwin94_61 »

I had just bought a Winchester 94 and was doing research to find as much information I could Since this gun was 45 years old there was no paper work with it. I still found the lever gun site even after Google found 600,000 sites under Winchester 94 i some how stumbled on to Leverguns.com by mistake well something like that I'm glad I did
OD*
Member Emeritus

Post by OD* »

No thanks needed Paul, you know how much I like messin' with the '94s and 1911s. :wink:

I happy to hear the old rifle was blooded again.
Bis
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bis »

I have been a long time follower on handloads. com (ever since the H&R forum went belly up) and I am always seeing some one say that on leverguns they read ...... So I decided to see what it was all about. I have been lurking for over a year and finally decided to join. It is a great place with some friendly and knowledgeable people.
when your enemy is within range so are you
Dastook
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dastook »

Jeeps wrote:
cnjarvis wrote:
jengel wrote:
JReed wrote:I was google searching for some .45colt hunting loads for my trapper and came across Paco's article on .45colt in leverguns. This was back in 04 and just never left. :D
Me too.
Me Three... I think. :)
Must be contagious, hope I don't get a sore on my lip :shock:
Me five. Actually I think I read all of Pacos articles before I found the forum. I couldn't break away from the articles. They are great.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

NRA Life Endowment
SASS & CAS

Born in Idaho, the same great state Elmer Keith & Jack O'Conner lived in and loved.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

If you liked the articles, you will love the book.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Dastook wrote:Me five. Actually I think I read all of Pacos articles before I found the forum. I couldn't break away from the articles. They are great.

Same thing happened to me when I first found sixgunne.com WAY back when. I read everything on the site until I finally clicked on the forum link. Had no idea what that was about. I've met some great guys through the sixguns, sixgunner and leverguns sites and forums. I believe that it's due to the caliber of men who founded them.
Paul - in Pereira

greasy dan
Levergunner 2.0

Post by greasy dan »

Looking for info on the web concerning my first Model 92 purchase. This site was amongst them... looked pretty good. In the years since,,, I have not found another "Levergun" website to be equal. Thanks to all...!!!
John Wayne, Jimmy Stewart, Henry Fonda and Winchesters. I'm a kid again.
YellowHorse
Levergunner

Post by YellowHorse »

I had been looking for a good family gun forum (some of the ones I pulled up on google had forums with vulgar avitars, sig lines and language :shock: I can't have that on screen with my kids in the same room).
I am a member on a horse forum, I remembered a forum member, gunslinger or Bob, that had mentioned in passing that he was on some forums for firearms. I know him as a respectable individual and figured he would be on some good gun forums, so I PM'd him about it and, well, here I am :)
This is my favorite gun forum, more activity and good info than the others 8)
TxHunter
Levergunner

Post by TxHunter »

I started out on JT's sixgun website . Then I got away from the internet for a couple of years. When I came back the site was divided between
sixguns, sixgunner and levergun ( The sixgunner community ) Since
single-actions and leverguns are my almost favorites ( I am partial to M/L)
I figured that these were the forums to call home .
Scoutmaster
Levergunner

Post by Scoutmaster »

Someone on the old MarlinTalk, I don't remember who, first told me about Leverguns.com a while before MarlinTalk closed their doors. I was going by a different name back then which somehow got lost over the years. About 32 years ago I bought my first center fire rifle, it was a Marlin 336C in .35. I found MarlinTalk when I bought my first computer and a new Marlin 1895 Guide Gun. The .450 came out soon after and we spent a lot of time feverishly discussing the merits of the .450 compared to the 45/70, ported barrels and their noise levels and what was a safe pressure level for 45/70 lever actions. Some things haven't changed much. :lol:
Don
shawn_c992001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by shawn_c992001 »

I came over here from reloadersnest.com I believe it was Shasta who told me about this site. I was wondering if I could use 50-90 Sharps dies to load 50 Alaskan ammo. I got my answer.
SASS#43836
Ain't easy havin' pals.
steveb
Levergunner 2.0

Post by steveb »

I drifted in via the search engine looking for Rossi 92 info , pulled up a stump, made some fine friends, (got quickly sucked farther and farther into levergun addiction)and well, the rest is history. :D A fine campfire indeed.
Iron_Marshal
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Iron_Marshal »

I was looking for information about buying my first levergun and I came across a link to this site. There seemed to be (and was later independently verified...IMHO) a wealth of knowledge here on the subject matter.
Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter.
Ernest Hemingway, "On the Blue Water," Esquire, April 1936
dbateman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dbateman »

i was looking for some info on my then new 45 colt trapper joined the old
forum and about to weeks latter we all moved over here
so glad i found this place :)
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

Googling for articles on 357 and 30-30 rifles and found Pacos articles and ended up at the old forum and then here.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
Ram Hammer
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ram Hammer »

I was looking for some information/help on a recently purchased Winny 71 and found this site via google searches. Been hanging around ever since.
No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself

There's no trick to being a humorist when you have the whole government working for you.
Will Rogers
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

I found this site purely by accident several years back. I've always been a Winchester collector, but bought my first and only Marlin because of the enthusiasm of you members. I do miss the "old" site, where my thousands of posts earned me a 4 star "General's" rank. :D
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

JimT wrote:The last thing I remembered was going into the bar in Shanghai. When I woke up, here I was!
THAT is the kind of comment that makes Leverguns worth logging on to every day! :lol:

I was searching for info on .32-20 1889 Marlin stuff, if I recall.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
otteray
Levergunner 2.0

Post by otteray »

Divine intervention led me here.
I was searching for Cabbage Patch Dolls and that stupid purple dinasaur for target practice.
otteray