Marlin 336 Cowboy in 38-55?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
oneyeopn
Levergunner 1.0

Marlin 336 Cowboy in 38-55?

Post by oneyeopn »

I just stumbled onto a 336 in 38-55. The rifle is like new and has the JM stamp on the barrel. I will get some pictures posted. It doesn't appear to be very old, it is like new but I had never heard of the 38-55 and am trying to find out all I can. I am doing internet searches but not having a lot of luck. We are trying to settle onto a price but I do not know what it would be worth. So if anyone can help me with information I would greatly appreciate it. :?:
USMC
We are not in a post-cold war period, we are in an inter-war period!!
Rossi 92 in 45Colt
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Marlin 336 Cowboy in 38-55?

Post by JerryB »

I can't help you on the price but I can tell that it is a really great round. I have a 94 Winchester 30-30 rebored to 38-55, I killed a big doe with it last week. I reload for it and it is an easy round to work with. Buy the rifle if you can, you sure will enjoy it.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

Very desirable rifles. Sounds like you found a prize! 1886.
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

If you can buy it for the price of a 30-30 Marlin, you bought it cheap!!!!!
Look on GunBroker some times they have one, they go for what one is willing to pay
I traded into one a few years ago with a well used 686 S&W :D
the cowboy is a nice gun & in 38-55 its even better
Its a hand loading caliber for sure (mho)

ollogger
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I bought a like new one a couple years ago for $600 and thought it was a deal.
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

It is great caliber for deer or just shooting steel plates with lead. The Cowboys versions command a lot more money. They don't come up often. Since a new basic 30-30 Marlin with walnut fetches over $400 anything under $500 you should have no problem reselling if you don't like it. If you get it then we can talk about loads. Good Luck!

I forgot say just buy it.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

Chuck 100 yd wrote:I bought a like new one a couple years ago for $600 and thought it was a deal.
That was a great deal!! 1886.
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

From what I observed and heard, the Marlin Cowboys always commanded a bit of a premium and the .38-55 Winchester caliber more so. It is a very popular round with the cowboy action shooters. And I would not doubt that since the sale and relocation of the Marlin factory, asking and selling prices again increased.

Buffalo Arms may have some.38-55 commercial ammunition and hand loading supplies available. As others posted, it is best to hand load the cartridge to exploit its full potential. It has a well deserved reputation and history of being an effective deer and bear killer as well as a 200 - 500 yard target round.
http://www.buffaloarms.com/default.aspx

If you purchase the rifle, I would advise slugging the bore to determine its diameter and do a chamber cast to determine proper brass length and chamber size. Some manufactures cut the .38-55 chamber per the older, longer specifications; other cut a shorter chamber.

As an aside, the .375 Winchester is a shorter smokeless adaptation of the .38-55 Winchester. Neither the .38-55 nor the .375 should be confused with the .38-56 Winchester.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

The .38-55 was one of the first cartridges that Winchester saw fit to chamber in their then brand-new Model 1894 Rifles & Carbines.

It was (and still is) an exemplary hunting round, with enough power to down game reliably - and was/is a very popular target round.

It's case was the basis for the later-introduced .30-30 Winchester & .32 Special.

The Marlin Cowboy series were all octagon-barreled (AFAIK) rifles - which give a weight-forward balance, that happens to steady the aim.

missionary5155
Levergunner 3.0

Post by missionary5155 »

Greetings
Been reloading caliber 38 rifles since near I started reloading. The 38-55 in a modern Marlin is a powerhouse well capable of thumping any critter this side of our world.
I watch alot of Cowboy models go through Gunbroker. I have not seen a 38-55 CB sell for less than $825 this year. That one was not pristine. Many have starting prices over $1k.
If I could get one for $800 in Like New condition I would if I was interested in the caliber.
But caliber 38 is one of my favorites in rifles and a Dan Wesson Supermag. Just something about that plump longish 255 grainer and heavier bullets that gives me total confidence I can tackle any nasty bitty preditor that thinks I am easy prey.
A CB is a bit heavier than a round barrel but holds on target nicely. Only negative I can think of is that there are not more available.
Mike in Peru
A sinner saved by FAITH in the Blood of Jesus Christ &teaching God´s Word in Peru. John 3:36
Tanker 71-74 NRA Life Ready to Defend the Constitution from enemies within and without.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I bought a 336CB 38-55 new in about 2002 . Put a Lyman tang on it and used mostly Lyman 375449 and RCBS 37-250 bullets . The first deer I ever killed using cast bullets and a non scoped rifle was with thus gun . Shot a spike at about 40 yards using the Lyman bullet pushed with SR4759 . Now with that being said I sold the gun three or four years ago LNIB for $750 . The one I had was factory checkered the later ones were not checkered . FWIW I had this gun in 30-30 also and liked them both , killed deer with both using home cast bullets and shot a fair amount if silhouette . I liked the 38-55 more !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Okay, it's been 3 hours... have you gone back and bought it yet? If not, get back there! Where are the pictures of your new rifle? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Basically, it is an excellent levergun, and for the cartridge's potential, look up the 375 Winchester, and in a modern gun, handloads for the two are identical in potential.

You would have a GREAT levergun...!!!!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

Try these links for more information;

http://www.sixguns.com/range/336cwby.htm
John Taffin discussion about your rifle

http://shootingwithhobie.blogspot.com/2 ... -post.html
About the cartridge specifically by Hobie the moderator of this forum

http://www.rifleshootermag.com/2011/01/ ... er_200811/
Layne Simpson also has been a big supporter of the 38-55

http://www.barnesbullets.com/copper_man ... 2c28a5bda8
If you are going to shoot a commercially jacketed bullet, you won't do any better then the original Barnes soft point IMO

http://www.castpics.net/subsite2/ByCali ... .38-55.pdf

I have a Winchester 94 rifle in 38-55 and a Marlin in 375 Win (which is to say a 38-55+P) and would not part with either one but they are a handload only proposition ....... you just can't seem to find commercial ammo very often and when you do it is prohibitively expensive. I would shop around for a set of dies if you plan on shooting this find much.

Wm
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

If you do buy the rifle, purchase Starline 2.125" brass and projectiles sized .380-.381" and have a blast. They are great rifles. 1886.
msmith1228
Levergunner 2.0

Post by msmith1228 »

I paid $700.00 for mine about a year ago and was glad to get it.
Mack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

oneyeopn wrote:I just stumbled onto a 336 in 38-55. The rifle is like new and has the JM stamp on the barrel. I will get some pictures posted. It doesn't appear to be very old, it is like new but I had never heard of the 38-55 and am trying to find out all I can. I am doing internet searches but not having a lot of luck. We are trying to settle onto a price but I do not know what it would be worth. So if anyone can help me with information I would greatly appreciate it. :?:
Did you get the rifle? Do you handload? If so, let me know. I have some extra Starline 2.125" .38-55 brass. I will gift you some. 1886.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Here's a "seller's" thread on the same topic - http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/32-40 ... -55-a.html

When the guy posted it, he wound up asking $1,250... :shock:

http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/rifle ... -sale.html
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

AJMD429: I was 'sorta' surprised when a poster said it should bring US$1100-1200.

But, it could be that Pre-Remington Marlins will command a premium like the pre-64 Winchesters? Or, it could be a passing price spike like when Winchester announced it would no longer build the M94 and prices then went through the roof before settling back down to more realistic prices. Bill Goodman, an internet dealer, claims this 'bout the Pre-Remington Marlins :

"I doubt if any of the octagon barrel 'cowboy models' will be produced again, although their online catalogue does show a model 1894 cowboy-type with octagon barrel in .45 Colt caliber only. I believe these traditional Marlins made in limited runs in North Haven, CT are going to be tomorrow's sought after Marlins. Already prices for them are escalating rapidly."

Goodman's on-line catalogue -- http://www.shiloh-ballard.com/
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

Old thread but I just noticed it :shock:

I can't say enough good about the Marlin CB in 38-55. I have to report, with mine, I've taken a couple elk, a half dozen deer and one antelope! Oh, and shot the heads from quite a few grouse... :wink:

Accuracy that is amazing. I shoot a pretty heavy load, a 280gr cast at over 1900fps. 1 1/2" five shot groups at 100 yards is the norm with it, with a 2-7X Leupold.

Get it, you will never regret it if you shoot it enough and are willing to reload for it.
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Ray Newman wrote:"I doubt if any of the octagon barrel 'cowboy models' will be produced again, although their online catalogue does show a model 1894 cowboy-type with octagon barrel in .45 Colt caliber only. I believe these traditional Marlins made in limited runs in North Haven, CT are going to be tomorrow's sought after Marlins. Already prices for them are escalating rapidly."
I wouldn't at all be surprised...

Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

AMDJ429: that was a quote from an on-line dealer.

Only time will tell. Remember when Winchester 94's went "sky high", only to drop down in value.
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.