Hobie , AmBraol , What`s with all this spam??

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Hobie , AmBraol , What`s with all this spam??

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I have been deleting half a dozen of these spam add posts a day. Is there any way of blocking them?
1894c

Re: Hobie , AmBraol , What`s with all this spam??

Post by 1894c »

.... :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

I heard about another guy years ago with the same question.

Seems years ago a bunch of WWII vets were in a bar in Alaska talking about the war, when it was still fresh in their minds.

Another guy was sitting there and they asked him what he did in the war. He said he got out of serving in the military by getting an important defense industry job. Not impressed, they asked what he did. He replied that he had been the quality control supervisor or something similar at the Hormel plant, in charge of QC of the Spam. He began to explain how much Spam was sent out to the war effort. At that point, one of the former soldiers attacked him and beat him to the floor. The other former soldiers were surprised that his reaction to someone dodging the draft was so violent, but they pulled him off the poor guy and got him settled down.

Turns out he was assigned as an observer on some tiny island in the Pacific. He and another guy were put out there early in the war with a radio and some supplies to report on Japanese air and surface movements, to be relieved on a certain interval by other observer teams. Unfortunately the Japanese advance was faster and farther than expected, and all that the US forces could do was resupply them with an air drop before falling back. They dropped cases of food and then were gone, leaving the two men well behind enemy lines until Allied forces were able to again advance in the Pacific. On a couple occasions, a resupply flight was able to drop more food, but other than that, for a couple years, it was just the two guys, their radio, and cases and cases and cases of . . . . Spam.
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Watch "Island in the Sky" with John Wayne...
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Guys, Guys, I don't think that was the kind of Spam He was referring to. Can We disperse with the levity for a bit while We try to help this poor sole Who is knee deep in sammich fixins. :lol: couldn't resist.
Seriously Chuck, I haven't had any for a couple weeks but I forgot what I did. Go to tools then manage addons and take a look. I've got almost everything disabled.
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Just deleted three spam posts moments ago...
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Perry and all, Chuck is referring to posts waiting for approval here on the Leverguns site that are merely advertising, links to other sites. Probably amounts to 50 or more per day.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Mmmmm......Spam Chili with black beans, and corn, and chili stuff.....Or, fried with eggs, or omelet....or a sammich....
8) 8)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Me too,
I thought I had done something wrong.
I keep getting ads for very large skirts.
Anybody that knows me knows I don't do fat chicks.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Ahso Kemosaby, wondered what He was talkin about. You Guys r doing a good job of keeping them Out.
On a side note, for those that like the edible Spam (Myself being one of them) have U checked the Sodium content ? I don't eat it anymore.
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

It's like shooting cyber varmints - found a way to do half a dozen at a time. :)
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

There is a "reduced sodium" version on the market now.. I like it better than the old stuff...
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

There you go, ten this morning, if you want to get your share you have to be quick before Chuck and the likes get them. :) First thing when you get on you look for one then use the multi method and get them in groups. Cold and windy here in the high D. Ah, not sure I would touch that low salt version. But the other is like STP the old alimentary tract.

Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

OTOH, I'm glad my not-so-smart Windows Phone doesn't pick up on the popups and the spam.. There is a lot to be said for 'low-tech..'
Regards

Buck

Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Mescalero wrote:
Anybody that knows me knows I don't do fat chicks.
You were Navy, and never went hoggin" ? ? ;)

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Nope
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Old Savage Thanks for covering my back. Would you explain the "multi method" ???
Doing it one at a time is very time consuming. :wink:

Maybe we can have a contest to see who is the Siber Varmint hunter of the year!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I sent a message to AMBRACOL. He did a few things including shutting down registration. he and DAVE are looking at updating the protection. It literally was hundreds of attacks a day we were cleaning up behind the scenes by banning the spammers first, then deleting the messages.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

NOW you understand the y'all were picked to be "Moderators"! Just think how Hobie felt, all by his lonesome! Thanks for the job y'all are doin'!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Chuck if when you see one and click it to approve it it will then ask you if you really want to approve it then you say no and it will list about 5 or 6. You can then choose a box labeled mark all then disapprove all of them in a block. Of course then you will be asked are you sure and then you check yes. Quicker than one at time and you don't have to scroll down further to see if there are more, it will gather them - repeat as needed.

And yes Griff if was made clear from the outset that Hobie wanted some help.

rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Make sure you bann the spammers before taking care of the posts or they can continue to spam under that name.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Old Savage , Thanks, I will try that.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

You can eliminate at least a dozen at a time that way.