Sorel Caribou beats Danner (in below zero conditions for me)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Sorel Caribou beats Danner (in below zero conditions for me)

Post by Streetstar »

I'm not sure if I should've put this in the "New vs Old " thread or not --- but I think this is not quite there , --- more like something that is righteous for those doing some late year stand hunting

-- We are having almost blizzard conditions here in my fair (somewhat fair) state -- so I splurged . I have always thought these Pac boots were "cool", but were actually too warm for most of my needs --- but with well below zero temps , and my experience at the OSU-Baylor football game 2 weeks ago where my Danners (pic below) were absolutely outclassed by the cold - I went for it --got a pair of Sorel Caribous -- price was a bit high, but half the price of a pair of Danners (which isn't saying much) -

--- So far these things are awesome - I hope I am just as pumped up when the cold weather is over

Other pics are my previous cold weather gear -- Danner Ft Lewis boots, and US Army issue Rocky intermediate boots ------ not exactly slouches with proper socks --- but I think the older I get , I am just getting a bit more sensitive to the cold than when I was a bit younger --

I think if any of you guys can grab a pair of these for stand hunting, they might be the key to beating cold feet - within reason
that said, if I was hunting in these, I might wear the Danners for the hike in and change into these when I got there if I had the luxury to be able to do that -- they are heavy and are definitely not hiking boots, - outside of the most basic of hikes
I recall Joe writing a thread about a pair of these he got from his uncle that were 40-50 years old and were still good , a few years back

----- Doug
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Sorel Caribou beats Danner (in below zero conditions for

Post by Blaine »

I had a pair of Sorrel non-pac boots that were perfectly waterproof, and more than warm enough for around here....They lasted a good 10 years, and for 50 bucks or so I'd like to find some more just like them.....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Good lookin' pacs. I guess I don't need some though as I won't be in Stillwater today, (though I'm an OSU grad). Just too cold for me but some of my younger friends will be. If Chelf (QB) is in the zone like he was last week, (11 for 11 to start) Cowboys have a lock on it.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Have had the original Sorel Pak Boots for pretty close to forty years. Changed the inserts a few times, but have always served me well.

Whitetail opening day this year was -02F' with out factoring the 32 MPH wind (makes it feel a whole heck of a lot colder), sat in my tree stand with my feet resting on the gun bar for four hours...when I woke up, my feet were still toasty warm.

Most times though, when it gets above +20 F' I take my feet out of my boots and just sit with my wool socks...seems they stay warmer than being clamped into binding footware. 'Course that is just me, my buddies chide me on my cotton work gloves I put on when it gets below 10 F'. Seems my hands do not get cold either.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

M. M. Wright wrote:Good lookin' pacs. I guess I don't need some though as I won't be in Stillwater today, (though I'm an OSU grad). Just too cold for me
Too cold for me too, --- evidently for a lot of people , i havent been able to even give my tickets away. Had em for sale through craigslist and the alumni ticket office the past 4 days --- 350 bucks down the tube

I figure the boots would have been good for the game, but my legs and torso would still freeze --
----- Doug
SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SJPrice »

Streetstar wrote:
M. M. Wright wrote:Good lookin' pacs. I guess I don't need some though as I won't be in Stillwater today, (though I'm an OSU grad). Just too cold for me
Too cold for me too, --- evidently for a lot of people , i havent been able to even give my tickets away. Had em for sale through craigslist and the alumni ticket office the past 4 days --- 350 bucks down the tube

I figure the boots would have been good for the game, but my legs and torso would still freeze --
When it gets this chilly, ball warmers are a great help. Otherwise it is no fun for the quarterback to try to get a good grip for a long pass. :)
Always Drink Upstream From The Herd
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

I retired my Caribous two years ago due to the stitching coming apart. I bought them in 1979.

I hike in wearing regular boots and then take them off, chuck a couple of toe warmers in them with fresh socks and put on a pair of down booties.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

standard stuff in alaska, though I've switched to Wiggy's Pacs.

you can add a felt insole for a little extra if the temps dip lower.

those pacs are great on snowshoes. and steel boat decks. and on ice with crampons.

the secret to keeping your feet warm is to religiously take the liners out and dry them. every time you're in, because your sweat will defeat the insulation.

for the rest, get some insulated long johns and a butt pad to sit on, preferably with a long reach parka. one hotdog and you'll be unzipping for ventilation.
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Good posts all. I was in northern Az last night where it dipped to -6 according to mr car gauge. It used to do that more regularly in Az (we had some -20s, 30s, even some unofficial -40s) back in my youth when I shrugged it off a bit more, but chilly any way you slice it. IIRC wasn't there a long thread a year or so ago about boots, socks and keeping the feet warm--folks really got deep into it. If I or someone else runs across it, let's repost it here. Some good info then and now, including a lot of things I never thought of and I could have used more than once. Even in the Phoenix area it's nippy for us! It will be a brisk ASU - Stanford game tonight, unnecessarily so - idiots that we are still having night games well beyond when we have to! If I was going to it, I'd be thinking of getting the Sorrels out!
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Had a pair of those Doug for ten years. One of the best pair of boots I ever had.

What I am wearing now are Baffin Artics.
The Sorel's are much less cumbersome.

Those Baffin's can be found for around $75 and they are very warm,run a size big and if you can get by the high topped snowmobile type boots they are good. rated -40F they do have the -100f Polars but even those Artic's are ridiculously warm.
Very good soles though.

Of the two I like yours better but I am kinda cheap. :D
http://www.amazon.com/Baffin-Mens-Arcti ... B002D48RBU
Mine were made in Canada but like anything else these days probably their plant is overseas??

My Danner's(GTX Strikers)though comfortable for working inside etc. I absolutely hate their soles for snow,ice,wet leafs or any type condition say when hunting and the ground is even wet.
And honestly the wear factor, so,so?
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Streetstar wrote:

went to the aforementioned OSU/OU game anyway-- got pumped up watching the pre game so just said "heck with it, im going". (by myself, my better half is smarter than me)

No problems with my feet getting cold ---- wind chill was 4 degrees and spectating a football game is pretty sedentary
But -- the boots with my sock of choice seemed comfy and snug clomping around my house, after hiking a mile or two, the liner/ sock combo evidently compressed and they had a bit too much room in them, -- gonna have to find a decent insole to take up some space. The next size down i had to use a prybar to get my foot in the bootie, and didnt seem to have any room for thicker socks, so i thought i had picked the most correct size.
I will fiddle with them some more to get the fit adjusted, but i was just elated to not have frozen toes ----
----- Doug