25-35 -what would YOU consider to be the "ultimate"

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AmBraCol
Webservant

25-35 -what would YOU consider to be the "ultimate"

Post by AmBraCol »

If you were to have a custom levergun built in 25-35 built, what would you have done and by whom? This is an exercise in fantasy, so no need to say "I can't afford it." Shucks, I can't either but it's fun to think about anyway.

Some vague thoughts have gathered themselves in my mind over time. Here's a few things I'd like to have if I could ever afford such an endeavor.
  • Marlin pre "safety" base rifle
    A long octagon barrel. At least 24" and maybe 26"
    The 25-35 AI chambering
    Nicely figured wood, fore and aft.
    McPherson's Throughbolt system.
    Of course a thorough action tuning, smoothing, etc
After that, I run out of ideas. Hmmmmm....... What else could one do to slick up such a critter? If it turned out to be nicely accurate then a touch of special engraving would be nice.
Last edited by AmBraCol on Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bill Storey
Levergunner

Post by Bill Storey »

I've been dreaming of this lately, and so far it's a 26 in octagon barrelled takedown rifle, peep sights, straight wrist, Marlin action in 35 Remington.

I just sat down and figured cost of this dream, and I guess it will have to wait until my daughter finishes college. However, it doesn't mean I can't keep dreaming!

I guess I'll just keep my eyes open and pick up 1 piece at a time until I have have all the parts together, then speak to my gunsmith of choice.
Last edited by Bill Storey on Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Bill Storey wrote:I've been dreaming of this lately, and so far it's a 26 in octagon barrelled rifle, peep sights, straight wrist, Marlin action in 35 Remington.
You just missed a good base rifle. One was auctioned off for the http://www.sixshootercommunity.com/McPh ... nefit.html recently. :-) It didn't have the 26" octagon, but it will end up as a nifty little carbine.
Buffboy
Levergunner 3.0

I'll go along with this

Post by Buffboy »

I'm really trying to define a new Marlin I would just have to buy. One of the 1894C cowboys wouldn't be bad and my wife litterally had to drag me out of a shop that had one a few months ago, but got too many things on the list ahead of one now that I'm not likely to pick one up soon. I haven't bought a new Marlin in ages and I really should, just because I don't want them to turn out like Winchester. They came so close to getting me to buy a new winny then those pretty new takedowns never were made :cry:

A 24-26" cowboy model in 25-35 would be one I WOULD BORROW MONEY to get. No if's, No ands, No buts, no rational reason, Right NOW, drive a hundred miles to pick it up today, it would happen.

For a pure fantisy levergun, a reproduction of the flat sided marlins, 1893, and 1895.
Hobie

Re: 25-35 - what would YOU consider to be the "ultimate

Post by Hobie »

AmBraCol wrote:If you were to have a custom levergun built in 25-35 built, what would you have done and by whom? This is an exercise in fantasy, so no need to say "I can't afford it." Shucks, I can't either but it's fun to think about anyway.

Some vague thoughts have gathered themselves in my mind over time. Here's a few things I'd like to have if I could ever afford such an endeavor.
    The 25-35 AI chambering
After that, I run out of ideas. Hmmmmm....... What else could one do to slick up such a critter? If it turned out to be nicely accurate then a touch of special engraving would be nice.
I like that but it would have a Wiliams FP receiver sight and Marble's Sourdough front sight. Straight grip. Round barrel and full-length magazine. No checkering. This rubber butt pad (so it won't slip if some maroon like myself tries to "stack arms" in the corner).
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

24" round barrel, lightweight 6 1/2 pounds, straight grip, deluxe checkering with flor de lis pattern on XXX wood, Williams peep and firesight front, scope capable, sling swivels.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

An 1893 Marlin with PG frame would be my basis. Then I'd add a 30" full octagon barrel, with full magazine, XXXX wood, with F checkering, and 5-3 engraving. Ballard midrange tang sight, and windage adj. globe front sight.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I've been doing some thinking along those same lines. Here's my dream rifle:

Winchester 94, top eject, take down with 6 barrels. It needs to be in a rifle configuration, curved steel buttplate, nicely figured wood. I want the buttplate, receiver, lower tang, lever and forend cap color case hardened. Straight grip. The configuration of the barrels has me a little conflicted, but right now I think I want them thusly:

1/2 Round 26" barrel in .25-35;
Octagon 26" barrel in .30-30;
Octagon 20" barrel in .30-30;
1/2 Round 16" barrel in .30-30;
Octagon 26" barrel in .32-40;
Octagon 26" barrel in .38-55.

Now, to really set this off from the crowd, I want the lifter (carrier) guide rails, locking lug and hammer polished and engine turned. All the screws and spring cover are to be "fire blue" with the bolt, barrel, magazine, mag cap and link to be done in as rich a blue as possible. Not the "blue-black" that Winchester normally does, but the very rich "Dome Blue" that Colt has on their high end revolvers.

I want the Winchester Pony Express Rider engraved on the left side of the receiver, and my SASS Alias (which happens to be "Griff") engraved across the top of the receiver and inlaid with Gold. And finally on the right side of the receiver have my cattle/horse brand engraved. (Lazy Rocking G). Like this:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Hey that's cheatin Griff! Only one of those is in .25-35! :wink:
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

marlinman93 wrote:Hey that's cheatin Griff! Only one of those is in .25-35! :wink:
:lol: :lol: :lol: Hey, it got included! Besides, you have toi remember what it sez on the door: Image
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
hobbyguymaine
Levergunner

Dream 25-35

Post by hobbyguymaine »

:o Boy, just the right question, at just the right time! I just listed and quickly sold on GunBroker my new 223 Win/Miroku HighWall single shot (freshly rebored to 25-35) and am going through withdrawl and mourning! Guess once I get my lathe and mill set up in the new house it's time to get back to my original plan of rebarreling a pre-crossbolt 336 to 25-35 per Francis Sell.

I'm also selling my unfired Marlin factory 38-55 Cowboy rebarrel on a pre-crossbolt PG 336, so first thought was a takedown conversion w/both 25-35 & 38-55 barrels (I'm in the middle of my first double rifle build - 30-40 on a Rossi hammer 20ga frame w/fitted 20ga tubes also, and will be fitting this gun in a hard case per English practice) - picturing a 2 brl set and 336 action in another hard case wasn't much of a stretch!

Back to reality (and that ultimate 25-35) though: I've got an earlier 336 PG Marlin and will add my .257 1-10" twist blank (first milling to same octagon dimension as Marlin Cowboy barrels), cut those miserable Marlin square thds and chamber to 25-35 WCF, and finishing as 26" half oct. Cut back back mag tube to 1/2 mag button type, add steel base Lyman 66LA receiver sight and Sourdough front, also QD scope mounts, maybe just nice factory wood - maybe better figured semi-inletted but either way glass bedded, curved buttplate per Francis Sell, checkering maybe, hand-rubbed oil finish for sure, old Williams or Jaeger QD sling swivels, reblue, stone trigger down to 3 to 3-1/2 lb.

Nice light-recoil sitting gun for an old man, for deer or the occasional coyote or head shots on turkey (if Maine ever lifts the "shotguns only" rule!). I just have to decide whether I start with the 336 action, or use my square bolt 36 instead, as the remaining action will get a .375 grv dia 38-55 with same basic treatment as the 25-35!

Still having too much fun, Joe(hobbyguymaine)
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 25-35 -what would YOU consider to be the "ultimate"

Post by cshold »

AmBraCol wrote:If you were to have a custom levergun built in 25-35 built, what would you have done and by whom? This is an exercise in fantasy, so no need to say "I can't afford it." Shucks, I can't either but it's fun to think about anyway.

The 25-35 AI chambering
So did this ever become a reality for you AmBraCol?
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Win 94.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

I've been thinking about this for quite some time. I would have Nonneman Customs to do the work:

Savage 99 action
half octagon/round, 24" barrel
high grade walnut stocks
Trigger job

Mainehunter :wink:
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

.25 Bullberry
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Thats an old post, Buffboy was still with us. :(
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

SRC, full mag, buckhorn sights.
BrentD

Post by BrentD »

I posted several custom stocked or custom engraved Marlins in other threads. They are all great examples of what I like to see in any custom rifle - creativity first and foremost.

But I also shoot competitively in addition to hunting, so accuracy and precision are major issues for me. To those ends, I have modified triggers on two of my Marlins and likely will do the same on at least one more. Triggers must be secure and safe and for different applications that can require being adjustable. This can be very simple for the Marlins because their trigger groups are extremely well made, and easily removed and adjusted out of the gun.

I'm not a gunsmith, nor a machinist. I have some woodworking tools - 90% of which are useless for gun work, but good chisels, gouges, and files get the woodworking done that anyone, anywhere can do. And metal polishing and rust bluing can be done by anyone also with just hardware store supplies and a few good stove or a few camp stoves. What trigger work I do is done with honing stones, wet-dry paper, and a drill press. So, with very little in the way of tools and cash outlay, I can put a fair bit of sweat equity into my own guns and then hire out for the rest, as needed.

I encourage anyone to give it a try and surprise one's self. It is really satisfying to compete or hunt with a rifle that you have designed and built at least partially on your own.

Brent

PS. And then there are sights. Tang sights are my stock in trade and good ones that work well with the lever guns are challenging to find but some of the Ballard tang sights can be ideal (if expensive).
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Mainehunter wrote:I've been thinking about this for quite some time. I would have Nonneman Customs to do the work:

Savage 99 action
half octagon/round, 24" barrel
high grade walnut stocks
Trigger job

Mainehunter :wink:
That sums it up for me too,those little pointed bullets would be heck on varmints
But im pretty content with my 94 rifle & carbine in 25-35 :D

ollogger
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

These posts are cool. Educated and experienced folks combined with several 'newbie' posts, and a true 'levergun' topic.

Reminds me of my thoughts of a 357/44 B&D built on a Marlin 1894... 8)

Thanks all who contributed to a nice, even if old, thread... :D
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

AJ,
One of those is still in the future for me.
Glenn
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Glenn »

I happened into a Savage 99 takedown with 25-35 AI and 7-30 Waters barrels. My son loves the 25-35 - couldn't miss 300 meter steel pigs with it.
Glenn
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

If I were to build a .25-35 on a Marlin frame, it would have to grow from an old, square-bolt frame.. I would give it a 24", half-round/half-octagon barrel, with a 2/3 magazine tube, and 'rifle' furniture.. I would chamber for the .25-35 AI, not so much for the perfomance increase, but for longer case life.. Case-hardened metal (receiver, hammer, lever, foreend cap, and crescent butt-plate..), with rust-blued barrel & magazine.. Add some tasteful engraving, probably a receiver peep and a gold-line sourdough front, and stock it Slim and straight, with feather-crotch black walnut, and it would be ready for the field...
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

Someone listed something on Gunbroker as a ".30 Special Smokeless Gun," so no one saw the auction - it had only a handful of views. How I stumbled across it, I don't remember, but I paid very little for it.

It is a Marlin 1893 takedown in .30-30. The 26" barrel is a half-octagon. The rifle looked rougher in the photos than it turned out to be. Finish is poor and rust-stained, but edges are sharp and there are very few dings, almost no pitting. Action is nice. Bore is dark and dirty and looks like it is a bit rough.

It has a 2/3 magazine now, but has an original dovetail for a full-length magazine, so either the magazine tube or the barrel is a replacement (with original 1893 TD parts). Front sight is the correct silver blade, rear sight is filed down flat and the elevator removed, probably to get it out of the way of a tang sight.

The wood looks a bit rough and is very plain. The crescent buttstock has had the front tip of the come dished out and sanded smooth, maybe to repair damage or maybe to clear a tang sight. It fits slightly loose on the receiver.

Here is what I will do to this rifle - it will be for my wife:
Rust blue finish on the barrel, magazine, etc.
Case hardened receiver, bolt, lever, hammer, buttplate, forend cap, etc.
Fire blue screws and appropriate small parts.
Reline barrel to .25-35 Win.
Deal with front magazine dovetail.
Install tang sight and remove rear sight.
Replace stock and forend with fancy maple.

I looked at the possibility of keeping it .30-30, relining to 7-30 Waters, reboring to .38-55, or doing a .35-30, but on a historic rifle like this, I would hate to go to anything other than a historic cartridge, to stay .30-30 would likely need re-lining anyway, so between .38-55 and .25-35, the .25-35 just seems the natural fit for this rifle.

What is the best way to deal with the dovetail? If I cut the barrel off just behind the dovetail, it would end up about 34 3/4". It would be nice to keep it 26", though 24" would work just fine. Is it better to cut the barrel down, or to try to fill the dovetail?

Anything else I should do?

In answer to the OP's question, I would look further back than just a pre-safety - I would look at a square bolt Marlin like a 36 or older. You can get them for decent prices, especially if you would be refinishing metal and replacing wood and barrel anyway - watch for one with poorer wood or maybe a poorer barrel. You may prefer the round bolt 336 rifles though, which is fine.

I personally prefer Winchesters over the 336, but prefer Winchesters (of the same age) only very slightly over '93 Marlins. Use what you like best for the base rifle.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

ok, but why the long barrels? Most 30-30's are 20 inch round barrels, seem to work fine. I would go for a regular 336 with a 20-inch and a 4x scope.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

AJMD429 wrote:These posts are cool. Educated and experienced folks combined with several 'newbie' posts, and a true 'levergun' topic.

Reminds me of my thoughts of a 357/44 B&D built on a Marlin 1894... 8)

Thanks all who contributed to a nice, even if old, thread... :D
Agree with you Doc.
wouldn't it be cool to be able to revisit the topics on the old forum. :)
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Marlin 336 - old style pistol grip and checkering
22 in round barrel 1-10 twist
half mag
Lyman peep and brass bead front sight

I would want a chamber that I could use the correct head stamp brass. With the Ackley chamber the brass will split at the neck. So I would try a 25 Bullberry or 25 Remington chamber and see if the brass will flow without splitting.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

RESURRECTION!

After all these years I've come to some slightly different conclusions on the cartridge/rifle. #1, it would be on an older Winchester Model 94 and be a button mag rifle with a ROUND barrel of no more than 24". #2, A thin rubber pad would be ok but I would prefer the checkered steel butt PLATE. #3, I'd get a vintage STEEL Lyman receiver sight.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SJPrice »

Hobie wrote:RESURRECTION!

After all these years I've come to some slightly different conclusions on the cartridge/rifle. #1, it would be on an older Winchester Model 94 and be a button mag rifle with a ROUND barrel of no more than 24". #2, A thin rubber pad would be ok but I would prefer the checkered steel butt PLATE. #3, I'd get a vintage STEEL Lyman receiver sight.
I agree with the steel Lyman item. I was a Williams fan, but have come to appreciate the quality and look of the Lyman steel sights.
Always Drink Upstream From The Herd
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

El Chivo wrote:ok, but why the long barrels? Most 30-30's are 20 inch round barrels, seem to work fine. I would go for a regular 336 with a 20-inch and a 4x scope.
I just love it when guys let their imaginations run WILD...!! :lol:
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
bubba15301
Levergunner

Post by bubba15301 »

savage 99
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

El Chivo wrote:ok, but why the long barrels? Most 30-30's are 20 inch round barrels, seem to work fine. I would go for a regular 336 with a 20-inch and a 4x scope.
Hey! Stop being practical!

Several reasons people like long barrels:
Nostalgia for the classic look of leverguns from the black powder days
The nice off-hand balance of a long barrel
There are some advantages to a longer sight radius in increasing the shooter's accuracy potential.
Most people have the misconception that longer barrels are more accurate.

Shorter barrels are almost always more practical. If all else is equal, a shorter barrel will generally be a more accurate barrel (the rifle's accuracy potential). You can make a barrel stiffer by increasing the diameter, or by making it shorter with the same diameter.
Shorter barrels mean a lighter, easier to carry rifle.
Modern powders have really increased the efficiency from short barrels, and a lot of snipers are now using 18" .308 rifles.
Different cartridges will work best at particular minimum barrel lengths, so a little research can help determine the best minimum length for a particualr cartridge. For example, I am interested to know if a .454 from a 2" barrel is any better than a .44 Mag from the same barrel. A .223 reaches its full velocity potential just over 20", so anything over a 20" barrel is just wasted weight and length, except for in some competitions where moving the front sight forward is an advantage. Check the differences in velocity for .50 Beowulf from a 16.5" barrel and from a 24" barrel - the velocity is almost identical.

I would be interested to know the ideal barrel length for the .25-35. Anyone have an idea?
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

For me it would be nice to get a Big Bore Winchester and rebarrel to 25-35 with a stiff tube about 14" long. A reworked tube independent of barrel to take only 1, spitzer only. Then tune it into a sleeper benchrest shooter to humble the side crank guys. Through bolt stock, a magician trigger tune, a top notch hunting scope to camouflage its real purpose, a custom chamber reamer, and some fancy reload gear!