Dont come out to Wyoming to poach!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Dont come out to Wyoming to poach!

Post by jnyork »

Latest News
Regional Angler Newsletters

WGFD Regional News

Cody Regional News

Warden Nabs Deer Poacher Near Cody

12/16/2013

CODY - Recently in a Park County Circuit Court, Stephen Kovacs of Michigan pleaded guilty to taking a buck mule deer west of Cody without a license.

North Cody Game Warden Travis Crane said that he was able to close the case because he witnessed the crime and was able to collect critical evidence at the scene.

“On November 6, I witnessed Kovacs shoot a buck mule deer in the Wall Creek drainage on the North Fork of the Shoshone River,” Crane said. “When Kovacs was contacted at the site however, he denied shooting his rifle or knowing there was a dead buck mule deer near his location.”

Four other people in Kovacs hunting party also denied having knowledge of the illegally harvested buck. “Despite the fact that one member of the hunting party legally harvested a buck 100 yards away from the illegally harvested animal and they were the only group hunting the area, all five members of the hunting party denied involvement in the incidence through multiple interviews with Wyoming Game and Fish Department wardens,” Crane said.

Evidence collected at the scene indicated otherwise. “Boot tracks matching the tread pattern of Kovacs’ boots were found at the location of the deer carcass and casings matching a round from Kovacs’ rifle were found where the deer was shot from,” Crane said.

After Crane seized Kovacs' rifle and boots and issued a citation, Kovacs confessed to shooting the deer. “Kovacs admitted he got excited when he saw the buck, and was hoping to fill a deer tag for another member of his party,” Crane said.

Kovacs was ordered to pay $750 in court fines and $4,000 in restitution to the Wyoming Wildlife Protectors Association. Kovacs will lose all hunting, fishing and trapping privileges for the next three years.

Anyone with information on a wildlife violation may call the Stop Poaching hotline at 1-877-WGFD-TIP, report online at wgfd.wyo.gov, or call the Cody Game and Fish office at 307-527-7125. Those with information can remain anonymous and may be eligible for a reward.

(Contact: Tara Teaschner (307) 527-7125)
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: Dont come out to Wyoming to poach!

Post by Griff »

In other words, "don't get carried away!"
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

In Washington, he would probably have lost his rig and guns....Anything he had with him in the way of hunting gear. :shock:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

not even eggs?

I hear in some states they take your vehicle as well.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

BlaineG wrote:In Washington, he would probably have lost his rig and guns....Anything he had with him in the way of hunting gear. :shock:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

What excuse can he possibly have? A few months lifting and carrying for the Fish & Game folks might be a better incentive than just a fine.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

jeepnik wrote:What excuse can he possibly have? A few months lifting and carrying for the Fish & Game folks might be a better incentive than just a fine.
I think that goes on a whole lot...Party hunting....I have to admit that if a legit tag was going on the otherwise legal buck, I'd roll my eyes, but, not get upset....Same if the guy was feeding a hungry family...(flame suit on)

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

BlaineG wrote:
jeepnik wrote:What excuse can he possibly have? A few months lifting and carrying for the Fish & Game folks might be a better incentive than just a fine.
I think that goes on a whole lot...Party hunting....I have to admit that if a legit tag was going on the otherwise legal buck, I'd roll my eyes, but, not get upset....Same if the guy was feeding a hungry family...(flame suit on)
I've heard of some places where you have hunt clubs and they pool the tags and after each drive the deer get tagged etc . I don't care to get involved in that stuff . With my luck I'd have several tags and some other yahoo would use them . If I pays for the tag I wants to use da tag PERIOD !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
92&94
Senior Levergunner

Post by 92&94 »

I remember a kid in HS, got busted for spotlighting deer. Durn fool shot a stuffed deer.... twice! :mrgreen:
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

BlaineG wrote:
BlaineG wrote:In Washington, he would probably have lost his rig and guns....Anything he had with him in the way of hunting gear. :shock:
In Montana it is called an "outfit"
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

92&94 wrote:I remember a kid in HS, got busted for spotlighting deer. Durn fool shot a stuffed deer.... twice! :mrgreen:
Did you mean to post this here or on the reefer thread? :D
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
1894c

Post by 1894c »

In the last three years in Eastern Washington we found 4 to 7 dead deer twice, the dead deer were lined up next to each other and certain parts were removed, the rest of the deer were left...we took pictures, GPS coordinates, and contacted the local Game Warden...I hate poaching, will make an exception for the poor, but even that issue could be handled on a case by case basis and controlled by the WMD... :(
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

6pt-sika wrote: I've heard of some places where you have hunt clubs and they pool the tags and after each drive the deer get tagged etc . I don't care to get involved in that stuff . With my luck I'd have several tags and some other yahoo would use them . If I pays for the tag I wants to use da tag PERIOD !
does that include guys who fill their tag, then take another with a tag bought in their wife's name? (non-hunting wife)
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

El Chivo wrote:
6pt-sika wrote: I've heard of some places where you have hunt clubs and they pool the tags and after each drive the deer get tagged etc . I don't care to get involved in that stuff . With my luck I'd have several tags and some other yahoo would use them . If I pays for the tag I wants to use da tag PERIOD !
does that include guys who fill their tag, then take another with a tag bought in their wife's name? (non-hunting wife)
Yes. Happens all the time in those midwest states that allow it (usually she has to be somewhere nearby though). I don't remember if MI is one of them, but IIRC MN allows party hunting, especially on drives, just this way.

That the party lied about it makes me believe they knew that WY doesn't allow shooting off someone elses tag - otherwise they would have argued "we have 4 tags & 4 deer, what's the problem"...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
92&94
Senior Levergunner

Post by 92&94 »

vancelw wrote:
92&94 wrote:I remember a kid in HS, got busted for spotlighting deer. Durn fool shot a stuffed deer.... twice! :mrgreen:
Did you mean to post this here or on the reefer thread? :D
It would work fine in either one :lol: