Decent cheap scope?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Decent cheap scope?

Post by Canuck Bob »

The question is almost impossibleto answer when cheap is added!

A new CZ 527 223 lefty will be in my hands this Sunday. It has rather tall CZ rings but the offered Leupold VX 2 3-9X40 was turned down.

I am a greenhorn with scopes. The preferred power would be as low as possible for a 223 fun shooter, paper, tin cans, coyotes, and gophers. If money was no option the Leupold Ultralight VX 2 2-7X28 would be first on the list.

Instead a cheaper scope is to be used at first. One notch above disposable is my target. Something that might end up on another rifle or 22.

Would the shorter parallax setting of rimfire scopes be a tremendous problem to 200 paces?
Any brands and models you folks would recommend? A range of $150 to $200 works.
The little CZ doesn't like big occular lens or adjusters due to the mauser style bolt and lack of clearance. However altering the handle is not a problem with me and instructions are available. The final outfit will be low rings and a small scope to suit the little gun and the stock fit.

One question that I need answered is the question of eye relief and variables. Most scopes list a slightly longer relief for low settings than high settings. If a scope is mounted with the proper position for the high power does the low power eye relief have a workable range so the sight picture still works, or does a person have to slide along the stock to focus the scope with changing magnification? This would irritate me to no end I think.
wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Decent cheap scope?

Post by wolfdog »

I like Nikons.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Try looking online at a few of the larger supply houses. I'd say the next couple of days would be a great time to be shopping as there should be some end of year sales. I've always been partial to Leupold/Redfield because of their repair policy.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

One step above disposable? BSA...Don't you want your new rifle to shoot reliably? :? A beat to heck and back Leupold could be had cheaply, and the factory will restore it to like new for free....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I agree, Leupold. Their Hunter models are as reasonable as a quality scope can get IMHO. I own a couple and they have been good.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Get on flea bay and look for a Micro-trac Weaver K-6
your kid will still be shooting it when you and I are long gone.
92&94 knows a guy that deals in old Weavers.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Go to: http://swfa.com/Riflescopes-C1443.aspx & take yer pick.

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I know they are awful and terrible and lousy, but in forty years of shooting with scopes, I've not yet had a Tasco or Weaver or Bushnell that I've been unhappy with. I don't dunk them in freezing streams, toss them off buildings, or anything like folks can do with Leupolds, but when I'm at the range, and I shoot a group, then go ten clicks up and shoot another, then ten clicks right, shoot, ten down, shoot, then ten left, and shoot again - the group is back where it was, and the center of the other groups forms a nice little ten-click square. That, plus being able to see my target better than by naked eye, is all I ask of a scope.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

I recently had a deer stand security strap that snapped on me, causing me to fear for my life and drop my rifle at least 10 ft hitting 2 limbs on the way down. The rifle was topped by a 3-9x40 BSA scope; approximately 1 hr later, I shot a decent buck at 150 yrds and the scope still shot to point of aim.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Weaver.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

AJMD429 wrote:I know they are awful and terrible and lousy, but in forty years of shooting with scopes, I've not yet had a Tasco or Weaver or Bushnell that I've been unhappy with. I don't dunk them in freezing streams, toss them off buildings, or anything like folks can do with Leupolds, but when I'm at the range, and I shoot a group, then go ten clicks up and shoot another, then ten clicks right, shoot, ten down, shoot, then ten left, and shoot again - the group is back where it was, and the center of the other groups forms a nice little ten-click square. That, plus being able to see my target better than by naked eye, is all I ask of a scope.
+1. If not American made I look for made in Japan. Third choice would be Korea.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

AJMD429 wrote:I know they are awful and terrible and lousy, but in forty years of shooting with scopes, I've not yet had a Tasco or Weaver or Bushnell that I've been unhappy with. I don't dunk them in freezing streams, toss them off buildings, or anything like folks can do with Leupolds, but when I'm at the range, and I shoot a group, then go ten clicks up and shoot another, then ten clicks right, shoot, ten down, shoot, then ten left, and shoot again - the group is back where it was, and the center of the other groups forms a nice little ten-click square. That, plus being able to see my target better than by naked eye, is all I ask of a scope.
With Bob asking for one step above disposable, Tasco and especially Weaver and Bushnell are not in that category anymore. Chinese CNC is as good as ours. For now, Leupold are made in america (I think), and there is precious little that we can say that about.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Bob I have used a 6X weaver on predators for many years mounted on a tuned up mini14 with LC ammo it held under moa out to 300 yds. For a varmint gun theres no need to have a variable scope. danny
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I have had remarkable good luck with Leapers/UTG (Under The Gun) scopes and rings (and other accessories). These are relatively inexpensive, especially given the quality.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

As a new scope user, there is no need to muddy the waters with a variable.
Buy the 6x and spend your time and money teaching yourself how to shoot it.
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Thanks guys, a step above disposable meant the better affordable choices above. I am watching for a used Leupold like a hawk. Their repair and warranty depot is 30 miles from my house. They are good and quick. However the available scopes tend to be big range variables with big objectives. That is not what I'm hoping to install or I would have dealt for the 3-9X40 VX 2. The scopes I like are heavier duplex reticles suited to big game and my favorites, the ultralight series, are not common or cheap.

Chinese products are less offensive than they used to be but still bottom of the list. US, European, Japanese is my usual order of consideration.

This is to give me some idea on an acceptable used scope model or a new one that is acceptable. I suspect that the budget will allow a better choice by summer. It is a drag having to live within a budget but I stretched my budget to stock up on powder, primers, brass, and bullets then bumped into this used lefty CZ. I'm now making my decisions that for the time being it is important to think of these component shortages as permanent until proven otherwise.

There are no scopes on the shelf in my gunroom. The only scope I own is a 2.5X M8 Leupold. If it fits the ring spacing it may become my varmint scope for fun and load development!
QCI Winchesters
Levergunner 2.0

Post by QCI Winchesters »

I usually buy an old steel K-3 or K-4 Weaver if I need a cheap scope, never been disappointed.
When you have to shoot, shoot! Don't talk!
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

A quick reread of the thread brought up a good point. A used 6X fixed can be had for good pricing. New ones seem downright rare. It seems the standard scope is a 3-9X and the standard bolt action 223 is something like 5-14X50 AO give or take. It is easy to spend more on the scope than this rifle.

A simple clean little scope suits this tiny mauser and my goals.

Would 4X be too low. The smallest target I would shoot at is a gopher and popping the little rangeland marauders at long range is not my cup of tea. When shooting at breathing targets I want almost certain results or no shot. If 4X would work to 150 paces that would work. I do plan long range fun, say 300 yards, but more along the lines of the standards of a hunter or combat soldier. By that I don't care for moa groups as such. Groups centered exactly where aimed for anywhere between muzzle and 300 meters, rain, wind, or shine, is my idea of bragging marksmanship for a slow twist 223.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

The reason you are having trouble finding a good fixed power scope is because they are not made anymore.
The marketing people have ( wrongly ) convinced the public they need a tacticool variable with all the bells and whistles.
By the time you have employed all the useful features of a ( current day scope ) your target is long gone.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I didn't order one, but I was intrigued by this scope for a cheapie:

http://swfa.com/Hawke-4x32-Sport-HD-Rif ... 48460.aspx

It's a fixed 4x32, WITH an adjustable objective which you will want at 200 yards. I was considering it for my indoor range rifle, to focus close down to 45 feet. It got some good reviews, and is only $45.00. And it's pretty small.

Personally I like Weaver, although I don't consider them a budget brand, and I have 1x-3x on my hunting rifles, including a .243. Since I can shoot life sized (1x) out to 100 yards or more, I figure the 3x will give me a 300 yard shot at big game. Plus it's the smallest/lightest scope out there.

I mentioned I had been looking for a target scope with adjustable objective, the one I first bought was a Swift Premier 4x-12x, I decided to try it because the silver color matched my rifle. Well, the optics are just beautiful, but it lost its zero pretty quickly, suddenly shooting 3" to the right at 45 feet. I'm going to send it in for replacement under the lifetime warranty, but in the meantime I bought a Weaver (adjustable objective) to put on that gun. The optics aren't quite as good but I'm confident it will hold its zero.

Well, more expensive scopes can fail, so that Hawke might be worth a try. It would be just the thing to end up on a 22; I was thinking of it for a Savage Rascal. But if you don't want to take a chance, go Weaver.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I don't have a lot of experience, but one of the best scopes for the money that I have messed with is the Bushnell on the low end of the price ranges. The Weavers I can find cost a little more, but are even better. I have not tried a Nikon or a Leupold. Redfield is not too bad for the low cost, but it is still not as clear as the Bushnell to me. I test the scopes in a store by trying to read something across the store with them, and I find that the Simmons just will not let me read anything. A good cheap scope that my son has on his 10-22 is one I bought at Wal Mart. I think it is Center Point brand, and it will light up the crosshairs for you when you turn the knob. It can be either red or green, or off with no lighting. He loves it, and on his 10-22 it will let him put cheap bullets into the bulls eye every time that he controls his breathing and trigger finger. On the 9 power setting, I can look at the holes at 50 yards and the lines on the target are still crisp and not fuzzy or blurry. For less than $65 out the door, that is a good enough scope. It is better than any Simmons or Redfield that I have ever looked through. I would put it on par with my Bushnell Trophy scope, and below the Weaver on PillHer's .30-06. The Bushnell Trophy I have has never lost point of aim and never needed anything but a cleaning of the lenses in the 20 years that I have had it, so I do think it is worthwhile. I don't know about the toughness or long term reliability of the Center Point scope.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Recently bought a Leupold 2-7 compact off ebay for $150, free shipping. Looks like new, still in the original box but mostly I use Weaver with 2 1/2X with a post reticle being my favorite. I have 2 and a third 2 1/2X Redfield with a post. Works for me out to 350 yards which is the longest shot I can take on my place.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

I've had good luck with Nikon and Bushnell. Also put an
old Tasco I got used on a 10/22 that works just fine.

I also put a BSA on a 22 mag that I've been very, very happy with so far.
Not sure how it would hold up on a 3000 Win mag, though.

-Tom
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Canuk Bob,
I recently bought a IJK Optics 6x fixed at the Phoenix gun show, I have not mounted it so I don't know about it.
Thier headquarters are in Phoenix so I took a chance $ 60.00 US dollars and it came with rings.
IJK Optics.com.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

One of my favorite semi-cheap scopes is the Burris 2X7 BallisticPlex, which I have on several rifles. I don't consider them "disposable" and they run well under your $200 limit (Graf's shows them for $150 plus shipping).

I like a variable because I do most shooting on the low power but can crank up higher when load-testing or shooting smaller targets from a rest.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Weaver K6 and the ad says shipping included. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =384089411
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Treeman72
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Treeman72 »

Leupold vx1 is a good scope for the money. I have no experience with new red fields but they do have good reviews. If the scope is destined for a 22, try to find one with a 50 yard or adjustable parallax.

I put a 3-10x BSA on my 223 and have no complaints. $80
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Well how things change in a few hours. My budget got a new direction this morning. This little rifle might get the only scope I own for now (plus I remembered why I always buy guns with iron sights!!!!). I've got a reworked Leupold M8 2.5X Compact, now the Ultralight, with a standard duplex. If it fits the search is over. This scope last graced a 444 and now a 223! It secretly tickles me that my 223 varmint rifle will be scoped with one of the best working man DG scopes available.

Barb and I have decided to put all our energy and prayers into paying off our house. It is just about in reach as a goal and some frugal living and hard work might make it possible. We are so tired of paying the beast.