Bought a Henry 22 lever gun/ now with target pic

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Bought a Henry 22 lever gun/ now with target pic

Post by Dave »

My pawn shop man called me and said he wanted all the guns gone by Jan 1st. Well, I like a motivated seller but when he called off the guns to me none of them made my heart beat faster. Then he said Henry 22. I had seen that gun and it looked new and he made me an offer I couldn't refuse on it.

I want to shoot shorts out of it but I have had Long Rifles get stuck in the chamber of my Marlin 39A if I shoot a lot of shorts out of it and don't clean the chamber before shooting LRs. I clean the Marlin from the back and use a 25 cal brush as a chamber brush to get the crud ring out left by the shorts.

I don't see an easy way to clean the Henry from the back. The manual acts like taking it all the way apart is not an easy task. Anybody taken their Henry 22 all the way apart? If I am going to keep the gun I'm sure it will become necessary at some point.

__

Went out this mornig to give the Henry a try. Needed a little down and a little right. Didn't take long. Here is a target offhand at 25 yards with bulk ammo. Not bad at all.

Last edited by Dave on Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Steelbanger
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Bought a Henry 22 lever gun

Post by Steelbanger »

Get yourself a 22 cal Boresnake and pull it from chamber to muzzle.
"He who has gone, so we but cherish his memory, abides with us, more potent, nay, more present, than the living man."
Antoine de Saint-Expuéry

Steelbanger, N.R.A. Life
PRPA Member
Marlin - a hard habit to break.
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

Use CB-longs and avoid the problems of shorts. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/130136 ... round-nose
keyston44
Levergunner

Post by keyston44 »

The Henry comes apart very easy. Just remove the 2 screws on each side and the screw holding the stock. Key
"Hatred is the cowards answer for being intimidated"
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I had a Henry plain-Jane youth model that I was coon-fingering at Cabela's.....every bit as nice as a Marlin, better than the new ones....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

Dave,

I just shove my metal cleaning rod down the barrel, and work it back & forth real good, until my Henry's clean. I do not have a problem with cleaning any barrel that needs to be cleaned that way.

Henry Repeating Arms Company has a slew of Maintenance videos:

http://www.henryrepeating.com/htv-maint ... tion-1.cfm
http://www.henryrepeating.com/htv-maint ... tion-2.cfm
http://www.henryrepeating.com/htv-maint ... tion-3.cfm
http://www.henryrepeating.com/htv-maint ... tion-4.cfm
http://www.henryrepeating.com/htv-maint ... tion-5.cfm
http://www.henryrepeating.com/htv-maint ... tion-6.cfm
http://www.henryrepeating.com/htv-maint ... tion-7.cfm
http://www.henryrepeating.com/htv-maint ... tion-8.cfm

In fact, I usually invite over some shooting buddies, and we all clean our guns, together:

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

keyston44 wrote:
The Henry comes apart very easy.

Just remove the 2 screws on each side and the screw holding the stock.
Key
After the above, pull off the buttstock towards the rear and lift the receiver cover upwards, off the actual receiver.

The bolt will either simply sit atop the internal receiver, awaiting you to pluck it off; or the bolt will stay inside the top of the receiver cover - either way clearing the rear of the bbl & chamber for a proper cleaning.

There will be no adjustments or re-adjustments, etc, necessary - just a simple off/on operation.

I clamp my bbl in a padded bench vise, which secures everything not being removed for the cleaning & lube.

When you're ready for a compact peep sight, that'll easily zero using the issue H001 front sight, this is a $26 Williams WM-96 peep, with some orange sight paint I applied to the issue front sight's tip:

AND - if you want a saddle ring via hitting the EASY button, a post-64 Winchester saddle ring is a direct replacement/ swap for the lower LH receiver cover screw: :mrgreen:

Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

Thanks for all the replies! I watched the disassembly video and think I can to that no problem. You have your gun set up nice Pete. I think this gun could make a gun. It has a good feel. I will probably mess around with it until someone asks me if I know where they can get a 22 for their kid and then sell it to them for what I paid. That way I get to enjoy it a while and help some kid get a gun both. It is a pretty cool little gun.
Newtmaker
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Newtmaker »

I have a Henry 22 LR and it shoots shorts just fine. At 25 yards they are sorta fun. At 50 yards you can watch the bullet arc to the target. :lol:
Forget about groups size unless you have a BIG target.

Walt
1894c

Post by 1894c »

I have the Henry Carbine (see attached pic)...and I have been shooting shorts in it all year (bought 5,000 shorts, all I could find at the time), clean it with a bore-snake or with my cleaning rod...you'll want to keep your Henry, I like mine allot... :)
h001l-levercarbine-main.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

I like that rear sight Pete, did it come with that ghost ring?

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
jazman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jazman »

30wcf wrote:I have the Henry Carbine (see attached pic)...and I have been shooting shorts in it all year (bought 5,000 shorts, all I could find at the time), clean it with a bore-snake or with my cleaning rod...you'll want to keep your Henry, I like mine allot... :)
h001l-levercarbine-main.jpg
I have the same one, large loop carbine, and it really is one of the most fun guns I own. Very pleased with everything about it, and Henry has superb customer service.
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly"
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

firefuzz wrote:I like that rear sight Pete, did it come with that ghost ring?

Rob
Yeah, Rob, it did - in a way.................. :)

That sight still has it's aperture, which I lined with a white sling swivel QD stud spacer, to make it easier to pick up when taking a snap shot - but I drilled out that aperture with the largest drill bit that would slide into the front of the threaded aperture stem

FWIW, any peep sight can be converted to a Ghost Ring via removing the aperture .

A naked/threaded aperture holder acts exactly like a smooth-inside Ghost Ring, because the threads are too close to the shooter's eye to be in focus - especially since the best practice for peep sight usage is to look through the peep/aperture, w/o actually seeing it, and focus instead on placing the front sight "on target". (The human eye will auto-center itself in the aperture)

rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

i BOUGHT ONE ABOUT A YEAR AGO AND SCOPED IT. PUT ON A LEVERWRAP. tOOK IT OUT TO THE WOODS THIS WEEKEND TO SIGHT IT IN AND IT WAS PLACING A NICE GROUP. i USED AN OLD SHOTSHELL BOX WITH A PICTURE OF A DUCK ON THE FRONT AT 30 yards. I had grabbed an old box of ammo to shoot up first, it had the lr, l and shorts mixed in. just loaded in whatever came out of ammo box first, shot all three types , no problem.. Afterwards ran a wet patch through the barrel first, then a bore snake from the receiver towards the crown, then ran a oiled patch through to keep the rust bunnies out. a sweet gun for plinking and small game. I want the henry .22lr pump action rifle , but would like the .22 magnum version though for my next gun.. kind of hard to find used ones in my neck of the woods, and have not bought one off sites such as gunbroker.. :D
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

We use little "test tube brushes" that are stiff-bristled black plastic, and on about a six inch twisted wire handle that would easily flex enough to go in the side opening of the receiver and into the chamber. Carolina Biological supply sells them, so does Henry Schein. Probably hobby shops. I've seen brass ones as well, but stiff plastic could work.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Re: Bought a Henry 22 lever gun/ now with target pic

Post by Dave »

Bump for target pic