saddle ring for henry h001

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

saddle ring for henry h001

Post by rossim92 »

been wanting a saddle ring for my henry hoo1. Any suggestions or info to web link and other sources.. thanks and happy new year :D
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: saddle ring for henry h001

Post by gamekeeper »

Rimfirecentral have a lot of suggestions on this on the Henry forum.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I simply bought a post-64 Winchester saddle ring & screwed it into my Henry's receiver/cover as a direct replacement for the LH rear cover screw.

BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Pete44ru wrote:.

I simply bought a post-64 Winchester saddle ring & screwed it into my Henry's receiver/cover as a direct replacement for the LH rear cover screw.

I took Pete's suggestion and it worked great and was EASY! Been on for many years.
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

I can only wonder why you would want to add such a nuisance to a handy little rifle, unless you were going to carry it on a carbine sling...
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
walkerjer
Levergunner

Post by walkerjer »

Your right, But I also put one on my henry today. But on the right side since im left handed. No real reason for it, just did it because it looks cool, :D
Buck Elliott wrote:I can only wonder why you would want to add such a nuisance to a handy little rifle, unless you were going to carry it on a carbine sling...
Talk Low Talk Slow and Dont Say Too Much.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Buck Elliott wrote:I can only wonder why you would want to add such a nuisance to a handy little rifle, unless you were going to carry it on a carbine sling...
Fer the same reason I upgraded my trouser closure from buttons to a zipper, Buck....... :mrgreen:

Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Pete44ru wrote:
Fer the same reason I upgraded my trouser closure from buttons to a zipper, Buck....... :mrgreen:

There may be some practical logic to changing to zippers (although I still prefer buttons..), but the addition of a useless, noisy appendage really defies logic.. Applying a gigantic, gnarly wart to a pretty girl's cheek or chin does not enhance her "look" or her desirability, or make her a better cook or dancer...

After many hours or days afield with the little Henry, I reckon you'll begin to wonder if the "look" you thought you liked was worth it.. If the rifle only travels to the gun range and back, or gets pressed into occasional service, plinking empty beer cans from the back patio, you probably won't notice any inconvenience...
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Well.........since it's been 5 years since I installed the saddle ring, and have hunted small game with it ever since I got the rifle, w/o issue one - I guess that YMMV. . :)

FWIW, My 1978 .30-30 Trapper was issued with a saddle ring, and hunted in every deer season since I got that rifle about 15 years ago (also w/o issue) - I'd have to say that there's a rump for every seat. :mrgreen:

SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SJPrice »

I am right there with you Buck. They are a real PIA for south paws like myself.
Always Drink Upstream From The Herd
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

But Buck, girls with warts turn me on!
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I too prefer buttons... but, I suspect that's a bit TMI for any of us here! :twisted: As for saddle rings... I've often wondered why Winchester ever put them on their leverguns.

The only thing I can figure is that they must have gotten the only price break at a million pieces, when they first looked at them for the 1873 Carbine... and had to use them up somehow! I've yet to see someone use them as intended... with either loop over horn or on a sling over the shoulder, ala Trapdoor carbines.

The only time they're tolerable is with a bit of leather tied on to deaden the noise they make.
Pete44ru wrote:Image
For a safe queen, they're ok... but still pretty much useless, and if your safe is as crowded as mine, they do take up needed space! This 94 would be as pretty without it:

For use in the field, a thong tied on is darned near mandatory. Even these are a bit long, as they can get caught up in the lever during fast working of the action. But, as Pete sez, there is a saddle for every seat.

Best use?
Showin' off lack of welding skills!

M.M.Wright, moles are sezy,

warts, not so much!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SJPrice »

Griff,

I liked where you were headed, but then you took a real bad turn at the end buddy........

Steve
Always Drink Upstream From The Herd