New Years resolutions gun related?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

New Years resolutions gun related?

Post by rjohns94 »

For me, not purchasing any new firearms this coming year. That's the first one. Next would be to shoot the ones I have more. Thirdly, get my 32 special to shoot to POA or give up and sell it. Lastly, would be to sell off the final couple I have that are taking up space.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Re: New Years resolutions gun related?

Post by jeepnik »

Stay out of gun shops. I'm an impulse buyer, so if I go in, I'm just as likely as not to end up buying something.

Seriously, I have all I need. Firearms for darned near every purpose (there may be some I'm not aware of, so don't tell me). My problem isn't a matter of need, it's that darn want that keeps me buying them.

Of course, I just tell the wife I'm supporting the economy. After all, it's in pretty bad shape, and the more we can do to stimulate it the better. Think of it as our patriotic duty.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I promise to buy more guns in 2014 to make up for the shortcomings of those like
rjohns94 and jeepnik. :wink: :wink: :wink:
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

To get my piled-high loading bench organized, and start loading again. To get a good mid-range tang for the Sharps....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

Relocate reloading bench. Try and I do mean TRY not to buy any firearms just work on the ones I have. But the big one for me this coming year..... to start casting bullets!

Mainehunter :wink:
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I'm with Chuck 100 yd. :D

I truly hope that everyone in the country stops buying guns, especially pre-war Winchesters and Colts. Then the price will come down and I'll continue buying every stinkin' good collectible gun I can lay my dirty greedy fingers on. Yes, I'm a gun whore and proud of it!

On a more truthful note, I have no changes in mind. Just continue to buy nice stuff (my taste is rising to the LeRoy Mertz category) but without the price tag of the Mertz's. There's still plenty of good old guns coming out of the woodwork around here. Sometimes I go months without a good snag and other times I'll drop 5 g's in a week.

I find "condition sells" so the junkers will be left to the younger guys.

Why stop? It's my life's ambition to own, shoot, and compete with every neat old gun that was ever made. There's still an 86 out there with my name on it a and if you stop, you die.--6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Get the builders built,
learn how to post pics here.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

I resolve once again this year to not buy even one round of .22 rimfire from the scalpers. I have a good stash and will use it.

I will probably not buy any more guns, but then, you never know. :wink:

I will have as much fun as I possibly can with the guns I have .
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

No more guns for me as well.
my goal is to get serious and start looking for a 15 acre or so
parcel of woodland. End goal is a small two bedroom log home
for my retirement years.
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

I'm going to add another metallic silhouette shooting discipline, namely High Power Rifle, to those I already compete in at Hat Creek Rifle & Pistol Club.
I've been using my iron sighted Browning 1895 in .30-40 Krag for the High Power Hunting Rifle discipline with some modest success; those 385 meter Turkey and 500 meter Ram targets are tough to see for a tri-focal glasses wearing older guy using a receiver sight. Still, I enjoy the challenge and want to continue using the Browning to compete in the Hunting Rifle discipline.
My new avocation of High Power Rifle Silhouette will begin this spring using my recently acquired left-handed bolt action Savage Predator rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor caliber. Of course I have scoped it, using a 4-16x44 Vortex Viper scope, in an attempt to better see those distant targets, but me not being very well versed in scoped sight shooting will make this quite a learning experience!

SHASTA
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Post by wolfdog »

I am not going to buy any new guns next year.

Which is pretty easy as I never buy new guns.
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

Not going to buy any new guns this year ,though I m working on a trade that I started before Christmas and if that goes through it will be my last gun for a while.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

casastahle wrote:No more guns for me as well.
my goal is to get serious and start looking for a 15 acre or so
parcel of woodland. End goal is a small two bedroom log home
for my retirement years.
Kit house or get a sawmill and start with raw logs?

My retirement plan is to buy one of the kits that is just the exterior walls. I've seen some that have no door or window openings. It's just the walls and roof. Basically you build the outside and can cut openings where you want.

I've talked to folks that have done it and they say for a three bed, two bath place you can build it in about a year. You do the exterior in spring and summer and finish the inside in fall and winter. Heck, I do electrical and piping for a living. Dry wall is a no brainer. Think I'll but the cabinets and such for the kitchen.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
1894c

Post by 1894c »

WOW...I can't believe my digital ears..."NOT GOING TO BUY ANOTHER GUN"...how many times have I heard that on this forum...as for me I thinking about getting two more leverguns, another Marlin 336/Glenfield 30A in 30/30 (want to make a trapper) and another levergun in a different caliber, either .35 Remington or .357mag. I also am going to buy a Glock 19 (LE pricing is $399.00) and a Browning BL-22 or SA-22, not sure which... :)
1894c

Post by 1894c »

Sixgun wrote:
I'll continue buying every stinkin' good collectible gun I can lay my dirty greedy fingers on. Yes, I'm a gun whore and proud of it!
I love an HONEST man...Sixgun, you're the best... :)
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Thanks 30 wcf! :D I always did believe in calling a spade a spade.

This is the way I see it.........

1.) Not many people can keep buying guns without running out of money.

2.) We all have to admit that bringing home a new/old gun is exciting...you know....a new toy. :D

3.) We all feel guilty if we spend money on guns that should be spent on the family's needs, house, cars, family, furniture....whatever.

4.) Yes, you can have your cake and eat it too.......but......it takes time and knowledge.

A.) Prioritize yourself with gaining knowledge on guns and current prices

B.) Buy low and sell high...or high enough to make a profit where buyer and seller are happy

C.) Keep your profits separate from your household money

D.) Use the profits to buy more guns. It takes a few years and a mess of trades but it can be done. The ATF told me that if you keep your buying
and selling to a half dozen or so guns a year, you are not "dealing", you are enhancing your collection. Stay away from newly manufactured
guns and be especially careful who you are selling to. Nobody wants to sell a gun to a bad guy or anyone unstable. That's dealing with an unethical
tone.

E.) Enjoy life....you only get one. :D ---------6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Pay off my blankety blank mortgage. Relates to guns because my cash seems to be attracted to guns and ammo!

Join a range and shoot regularly rather than shop regularly.
Train my girls more and more.
Set aside a humble 5 year supply of components as cheaply as possible for my 223 and 32 Special.
Become a passable caster and finish my gun bench for smithing, reloading, and casting.
Stop visiting our Canadian forum's classifieds, critical for monetary goals!
Look hard at guns with duplicate missions.
The gun budget can be enhanced from the gun room not the family budget.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

No plans really but I'd really like to build a heavy barrel AR just for fun. I'd still love to finally
find a good shooting 32-20 revolver and add another 1911 to the family.
Kind of thining the herd a bit. There's a few things in there that I just don't care about.

Aside from that, did we ever get a picture of your Bowen .44? I was without a computer
for a couple weeks. :D

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

For me , the last few years I worked a lot of overtime which gave me the cash to purchase the guns that I have.Now the overtime has for the most part dried up and it s time to enjoy what I have instead of looking for some more to buy.Not saying I ll never buy another just taking a break from it.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

When you fellers say new,you mean any brand new guns?
i cannot make such a claim. If i see a gun i want at my price i be picking that sucker up quicker than a deer picks up ticks. :)
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Work on the projects I already started before taking on new ones. 1st among these is the Project 1894 Marlin. I hate wood work!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Birdman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Birdman »

This might be the year I buy the one that's been on my list for 25 years. I've been wanting a Sharps since BEFORE Quigley came out. They are always more than I want to pay regardless of the years and times I have looked. Maybe this will be my year to be in the right place at the right time and find a good used one that I am willing to go for.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

30wcf wrote:
Sixgun wrote:
I'll continue buying every stinkin' good collectible gun I can lay my dirty greedy fingers on. Yes, I'm a gun whore and proud of it!
I love an HONEST man...Sixgun, you're the best... :)
I guess that makes me a "gun slut" since I can't afford quality and go for quantity. :oops:

1st big gun show is this weekend so no point in making any resolutions. Already drooling over .307s and .375s and......... :?
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Hmmmmmm , lets see my rifle wants for 2014 are not that great actually !

A Ruger #1V in 6.5x284 and perhaps a Remington 700 short action rebarreled with a Shilen stainless #3 contour in 260 REM .

My shotgun wants however are a bit more costly :lol:

Shotguns a decent Parker hammerless 10 gauge , a LC Smith Ideal 16 gauge and a Philly Fox Sterlingworth 16 gauge 26" IC/M .

And my dream very very longshot a decent Parker hammerless 8 gauge .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

WELL SINCE YALL BROUGHT IT UP..my gun money this year is going to
1. convert one of my savage long range bolt guns to 30-06 AI
2. build a heavy barrel AR
3. convert my present AR to flat top.
4. up grade the mounts rings and scopes on a couple of guns at a time
5. continue to reload all the empty brass I have, it ain't doing me any good if it isn't ready to go bang, and finally if I see a good deal on any old leverguns to buy that sucker before sixgun gets it.(If I see it he has probably already passed on it but you never know) :D
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.