50 years of Zulu

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
perry owens
Levergunner 3.0

50 years of Zulu

Post by perry owens »

This month sees the 50th anniversary of the premier of the film Zulu. Made in a time when political correctness wasn't an industry, violence didn't have to be graphic to make a point and having an empire wasn't something to be ashamed of, it's still as popular today as ever. I hate to think what a Hollywood remake would be like. I shall have to get out my Martini Henry to hold while I watch it tonight.

Perry Owens
"Always carry a firearm east of Aldgate Watson."
bdhold

Re: 50 years of Zulu

Post by bdhold »

You nailed it - almost like Blazing Saddles, it's a movie that couldn't be made today.
It has already been remade - Zulu Dawn (1979) doesn't come close to Zulu (1964)
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Any interested in the altercations, etc, in South Africa, Zulu's, etc, can get an interesting read from any of the plethora of fictional books by Wilbur Smith ( http://www.wilbursmithbooks.com/books/courtney ) - which have the ring of reality in their background information, if not in the plot(s).

I've only read about 8 of them, so far - and have found them to be very entertaining, in the details.

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I just watched Zulu the other night. Fine, fine film in all respects. In yesteryear, our unit merged with a Brit unit for a month or so. The parties were historic, and, down by the park by the lake, a couple Brits treated Ft Lewis to The Zulu War Dance complete with flaming newpaper roll between the cheeks of his bumm..... :oops: :oops: The MPs were not amused :lol: :lol:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
1894c

Post by 1894c »

just watched the movie ZULU two weeks ago...great flick...wouldn't want to get that tribal community pee-oed at me though...tough warriors... :O
QCI Winchesters
Levergunner 2.0

Post by QCI Winchesters »

I am lucky enough to own an original British Martini-Henry Mk. II, made in 1877. My wife thinks I am strange when I fix bayonets while watching "Zulu". :D "MUST you have that pointy thing on the end of your gun? You are going to stab the ceiling some day!"
When you have to shoot, shoot! Don't talk!
Ragnor
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Ragnor »

Just watched it the other night. Must be the Zulu time of year. :D
soon 2 retire
Levergunner 2.0

Post by soon 2 retire »

My favorite part was when the Brits sang "Men of Harlech" in answer to the chanting of the Zulus. "Men of Harlech" is a very stirring song.

Bob in Friday Harbor
Don't look back something might be gaining on you.
-Leroy "Satchel" Paige
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Man, you guys have to watch the movie "Zulu". I see it first hand everyday.......in person! :D
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

perry owens
Levergunner 3.0

Post by perry owens »

QCI Winchesters wrote:I am lucky enough to own an original British Martini-Henry Mk. II, made in 1877. My wife thinks I am strange when I fix bayonets while watching "Zulu". :D "MUST you have that pointy thing on the end of your gun? You are going to stab the ceiling some day!"
Better get her one of these in case you bring the ceiling down

Perry Owens
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

From what I understand Zulu Dawn was a bit more historically correct for the gear, but both movies are good.

The descendants of the Zulu impis attacking in real life were the Zulu warriors shown in the movie Zulu, and they took it seriously, as they were portraying the actions of their grandfathers and great-grandfathers.
QCI Winchesters
Levergunner 2.0

MrMurphy wrote:From what I understand Zulu Dawn was a bit more historically correct for the gear, but both movies are good.

The descendants of the Zulu impis attacking in real life were the Zulu warriors shown in the movie Zulu, and they took it seriously, as they were portraying the actions of their grandfathers and great-grandfathers.
"Zulu Dawn" had the soldiers using cavalry carbines.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

QCI Winchesters wrote:I am lucky enough to own an original British Martini-Henry Mk. II, made in 1877. My wife thinks I am strange when I fix bayonets while watching "Zulu". :D "MUST you have that pointy thing on the end of your gun? You are going to stab the ceiling some day!"
Sounds like my house! :D

Volley fire is a lost art.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

Hadn't seen Zulu Dawn in some years, I meant their personal equipment.

Since in Zulu, Michael Caine was running around with a Webley Mk VI.......

The movie Four Feathers (Heath Ledger movie) while it didn't do awesome in the theaters, probably had the last live-fire volleys you'll see of Martini-Henrys in use considering how old they are, seeing a square in action was still worth the $7 back then.
QCI Winchesters
Levergunner 2.0

MrMurphy wrote:Hadn't seen Zulu Dawn in some years, I meant their personal equipment.

Since in Zulu, Michael Caine was running around with a Webley Mk VI.......

The movie Four Feathers (Heath Ledger movie) while it didn't do awesome in the theaters, probably had the last live-fire volleys you'll see of Martini-Henrys in use considering how old they are, seeing a square in action was still worth the $7 back then.
The 1939 version of "The Four Feathers" was pretty awesome, too. "FRONT RANK, KNEEL!" Finding all those Lee-Metfords must have been no small feat, even in 1939.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Been decades since I watched any of the Zulu films... but I have always had a fondness for the iklwa... Almost more useful than the Gladiuus or Spatha (depending on terrain...)

A modern variant...

C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

Not necessarily more useful, just a different way to achieve the same objective.

A gladius was (by training) a stabbing sword, but could also cut. An assegai or iklwa was a stabbing short spear, but I don't see one doing cuts or slashes terribly well.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

MrMurphy wrote:Not necessarily more useful, just a different way to achieve the same objective.

A gladius was (by training) a stabbing sword, but could also cut. An assegai or iklwa was a stabbing short spear, but I don't see one doing cuts or slashes terribly well.
Like I said. "almost", and depending on terrain.

I personally prefer a Gladius, but where a Gladius is a better meele wepon, an assegai or iklwa has a bit better reach and can actually be thrown. They are also more useful for hunting than a Gladius.

One on One, the fighting styles would be essentially the same and there would be no clear advantage.

In a Formation, the Gladius Wins.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Some people are born tacticians.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

I remember seeing this movie for the first time. We lived on base housing in Japan and the guy who ran the theater was a friend of the family so he would preview movies at home first before showing at the base theater. Our family watched it at his home with his family several days before everyone else, and for free. :D Always impressed with the intimidation factor of all the Zulu warriors drumming on their shields and chanting in unison. Cool movie. Zulu Dawn also an awesome movie but not a remake of Zulu completely different battle one the British lost.
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

Ha! It must be that time of year as the Lady and I just watched this the other night too. Sadly, I'm still looking for a M-H with a good bore that I can afford so I contented myself with holding the popcorn.

Eric
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

bulldog1935 wrote:You nailed it - almost like Blazing Saddles, it's a movie that couldn't be made today.
That's amazing; I just watched them both, Zulu Dawn on Jan 2 and Zulu on December 9.

Zulu Dawn is not exactly a remake; it covers the action in which the British were massacred, whereas Zulu covers the second action (on the same day I believe) where a smaller group of Brits was surrounded and drove them off. I believe it was the same group of Zulus, in the movie some had rifles picked up from the British.

Zulu Dawn was still made a while ago; I noticed Bob Hoskins as a young man with a jet black beard.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

The battles are Islandwhana (massacre of Brits who should have been able to hold) and Rorke's Drift, the single largest award of Victoria Crosses for one action in history, who should have been overrun, but due to good tactics, lots of supplies and firepower, didn't.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

yeah, the part about Islandwhana that stays with me is the scenes with the quartermaster doling out ammunition one box at a time while the Zulus are overrunning the line.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

Outstanding movies.

Don
QCI Winchesters
Levergunner 2.0

Here are a few pics of my M-H Mk. II, and one of my Snider. Neither of which are crumby relics from Nepal, I might add. Sorry for the poor pics, I was going to get my wife to pose with them but she is in bed, still getting over that nasty H1N1 virus and needs lots of rest. :cry:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
perry owens
Levergunner 3.0

Post by perry owens »

Here's mine

It's a long lever model so post-Zulu. The Snider is by John Rigby.

Perry Owens
QCI Winchesters
Levergunner 2.0

I had the Mk.IV too, but it shot a few feet to the left so I traded it off years ago. I have owned 7 Sniders, but I am down to just one. Nice DC marked one. (Dominion of Canada)
BruceB
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BruceB »

bulldog1935 wrote:You nailed it - almost like Blazing Saddles, it's a movie that couldn't be made today.
"Zulu Dawn" is not a remake of "Zulu". It actually chronicles the Battle of Islandwana that preceded the siege of Rorke's Drift. The engineer character, Lt John Chard, had come to Rorke's Drift from the "main column" that was wiped out at Islandwana and ended up commanding at Rorke's Drift.
"Zulu" was made to celebrate the heroism of Rorke's Drift, while "Zulu Dawn" was made as a slap at government.
GOD SAVE THE UNITED STATES!

Original member of Leverguns.com forum

NRA Life Member

Boy, what a mess them .45's make.

When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

I have both of these in my NEtflix queue available instantly online --- one of the tv's is rigged straight up out of the box with the software for it too ---- so i may give them a look see today

Chronologically, which one to watch first? I just assumed Zulu would come first since it is the oldest, but IDK (or does it even matter)
----- Doug
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

The massacre of Islandwhana led to the successful defense of Rorke's Drift.

More or less a whole British army got hammered at Islandwhana. A small detachment which should have been wiped out successfully avoided it at Rorke's Drift. Good, rapid planning, a supply base (no ammo shortage) and discipline held. Even then, a lot of luck.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Been years since I have seen it, bit did'nt one ( or more ) of the Brits make good long shots on the Zulus?
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

Great movie, but not accurate as far as firearms. Along with the historically correct Martinis, you'll see Enfield rifles and Webley Mk IV's that weren't around for the real battle.
Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bruce Scott »

The yet-to-be-invented Lee Enfields gave the defenders a distinct firepower advantage.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Bringing back an older post...

I just watched "Zulu, the 50th Anniversary Edition" Blu-ray this evening, and it was great!

OK, maybe that's because I like Martini single shots and Webley top-breaks! :wink:

Or maybe it's just because I enjoy a good war movie and decent movies about actual events.

What really surprised me though................................

Was just HOW GREAT the conversion from film, to CD, to Blu-ray was done!! Wow!

The scenery was magnificent (filmed "on location" in Natal) and all the details and action were sharp and crisp, even on a large 60"+ flat screen TV. I was pleasantly surprised on how good it showed up. Very surprised, actually!

Anyway... If you haven't seen it, or don't know much about the battle, down below I pasted in some info about it. Enjoy!

"Volley fire by ranks! First rank..."

Tight groups!

Old No7

Info Posted on Amazon by a top-rated reviewer:

Zulu is one of the greatest historical action movies ever made, and one of the great war movies. It is based on what historian Michael Glover terms "the most highly decorated battle in British history", the defence of Rorke's Drift during the Zulu War of 1879. Eleven of the defenders received Britain's highest award for military valor, the Victoria Cross--the rarely awarded counterpart of the US Medal of Honor. The movie is a landmark in the art of cinema for its extraordinary combination of location, cross-cultural engagement, a real story, good script, fine cast and great production team. This 1964 film never looks tired, despite my many years of rerunning it in 16mm, the Criterion laserdisc, later the Front Row Entertainment Inc. DVD, and then the Paramount DVD and Blu-ray discs. Anecdotally, military colleges have used Zulu to show the power of directed massed musketry, and leadership and teamwork in combat.

Zulu is the greatest achievement of the career of British actor Stanley Baker, who co-produced with US-born, formerly blacklisted director Cy Endfield. Nothing else in the genre really measures up, including Endfield's so-called "prequel", Zulu Dawn, or other epics based on British colonial wars, such as Khartoum. It was filmed on location in the grandeur of Natal, South Africa, with descendants of the Zulu warriors who took part in the original action portraying their forebears. The prominent Zulu politician and traditional chief, Mangosuthu Buthelezi, plays the Zulu leader, his distant relative Cetewayo. Mass Zulu participation in the project guaranteed the uplifting dignity and authenticity of cross-cultural characterisations of the film. Early magnificent scenes with masses of Zulu extras show the Zulu royal kraal, with a mass wedding of warriors in progress as news arrives of the annihilation of a strong British force at Isandhlwana. These unique scenes probably never could be filmed again because of social and cultural change. The nearest conceptual comparison in the war genre that comes to mind is the cross-cultural aspect of Tora! Tora! Tora!

Stanley Baker believed so strongly in Zulu, despite difficulties in raising finance, that he sank much of his own money into it. Playing a British Army engineer officer thrust by events into leading a desperate defensive action following the disaster of Isandhlwana, he heads a strong cast, including a young Michael Caine as an upper crust infantry officer. There are wonderful cameo roles by Jack Hawkins as an alcoholic missionary; Nigel Green as the imperturbable Colour Sergeant Bourne, always ready with a calming order or a bayonet; James Booth as Private Hook, portrayed (controversially to his descendants) as a malingerer who is perhaps the least likely Victoria Cross winner; Patrick Magee as Surgeon Reynolds, continuing up to his elbows in surgery even as Zulus try to break in. The narration by Richard Burton is very fine, and in character with the Welsh origin of the British soldiers. Welsh and Zulu singing on the cinematic battlefield is spine-tingling. As John Bender says in his attached comment, the musical score by John Barry enhances the grandeur and drama.

Michael Glover's 1997 book, Rorke's Drift (Wordsworth Military Library) is recommended reading for anyone with a detailed interest in the historical background. Amazon stocks several other titles related to the Zulu Wars that I can't vouch for, but that other reviewers have rated highly.

Alan and Peter Critchley launched in 2000 an informative "Rorke's Drift VC, 1879" military history enthusiasts' website which can be found by online searches. The website has extensive information I've seen nowhere else about the actual historical personalities portrayed in the film. This includes a magazine article published in 1905 about the account Alfred Henry "Harry" Hook VC (1850-1905) gave of the battle of Rorke's Drift; an account of the battle by Surgeon-Major James Henry Reynolds VC (1844-1932) published in 1928 by the Journal of the Royal Army Medical Corps; and a transcript of a radio broadcast in 1936 by Lieutenant Colonel Frank Bourne OBE, DCM (1854-1945) - who was the real Colour Sergeant Bourne played by Nigel Green in the movie.

The filming location used the escarpment of the Drakensberg mountain range as a backdrop - a more picturesque setting than the actual battlefield. The actual site of Rorke's Drift, only about 100 miles northeast of the filming location, can be seen in satellite imagery and visitor photos in Google Earth at coordinates 28°21'0.00"S, 30°32'0.00"E . Although the actual battlefield was not in the film, it is a tribute to the production that fans of the movie may be surprised by how familiar and understandable the terrain appears.

This film originally was released in 70mm. It deserved the very best frame-by-frame and soundtrack digital restoration and DVD transfer that technology can provide, working from original material. It finally received that treatment, first with Paramount and MGM DVD releases about 2002, then with Paramount's Zulu [Blu-ray] in 2008. See attached expert comment by John Sellars dated Sep 29, 2011 10:10:40 AM PDT for technical background drawn from his work on these transfers. I could not now recommend any releases of Zulu other than these from Paramount and MGM. The Paramount Blu-ray release of Zulu is magnificent in every respect. Colour is vibrant; detail sharper than any previous video release; sound excellent. Extra features and interviews, including extended commentary by second unit director Robert Porter, round off a Blu-ray disc that every enthusiast for this great film will want to own.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Just like you HAVE to have your cap and ball pistols out if you watch Josie Wales, or your 338 Lapua out if you watch Shooter... 8)
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

QCI Winchesters wrote:
MrMurphy wrote:

The movie Four Feathers (Heath Ledger movie)....
The 1939 version of "The Four Feathers" was pretty awesome, too. "FRONT RANK, KNEEL!" Finding all those Lee-Metfords must have been no small feat, even in 1939.
IIRC there are at least SEVEN versions of that movie/story.

I liked the latest one, visually for sure. It missed being a "great" movie, but I enjoy it. Though there are critics (and I don't mean movie critics) who rip it to shreds.

"Martini's and Webley's and Sniders, Oh my!"

Slow is just slow.
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Let's get one thing straight ... It's Martin' Enry!!
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I thought "Zulu" was on Fox News tonight but it was only a Black Lives Matter protest at a Trump rally.----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Sixgun wrote:I thought "Zulu" was on Fox News tonight but it was only a Black Lives Matter protest at a Trump rally.----6
You are SO bad..... :D
JB wrote:Great movie, but not accurate as far as firearms. Along with the historically correct Martinis, you'll see Enfield rifles and Webley Mk IV's that weren't around for the real battle.
The June 2016 American Rifleman I just got in the mail yesterday has an article on the firearms of the Boer Wars, and it was quite interesting.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

This film, and "The Great Escape," were probably the two most transfixing movies of my young life. I have a dodgy old DVD of "Zulu" that I have watched many dozen times. I have owned, loaded for and shot Sniders, Martinis and Webleys. Still have my foreign service helmet. And if you want a T-shirt featuring Colour Sgt. Bourne saying "Keep Calm and Fix Bayonets," Tum Tatty will fix you up here:

http://britishmilitariaforums.yuku.com/ ... 0cPG2aCbds

Doc, I was amused to see that piece on Boer weapons in the Rifleman as well, as I only recently found a near-mint Model 1895 Mauser. Alas, no OVS above the serial ...