What are you shavin with?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Re: What are you shavin with?

Post by jeepnik »

I get about two shaves out of a Mach 3. After that, it just starts grabbing and nicking. Electric, forget it, I've tried many and they end up in a drawer until the wife finally tosses them.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
samb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by samb »

Gillette Fusion Proglide Power. Hate the thing, but if I don't rush it does a decent job. I get about two month out a four pack of blades. I use whatever foam is cheapest. Barbasol or Gillette. Raced in to work late chopped to pieces. Customs agent laughed and said be careful you don't bleed out at altitude.
flightsimmer
Levergunner 2.0

Post by flightsimmer »

I've used both electric and blade razors off and on all of my life, mostly blade and shave cream.
But recently I asked my wife to pick up some more shave cream while she was at the store.
What she brought home was shave gel and it didn't take long for me to throw it out, worst stuff I've ever used.
So the Shick three blade, throw away razors I'm using have a lube strip on them so I thought I'd try shaving with just a water wet face to see how it would work and it did great. No more messy shave cream, just water and a blade. Much better than even an electric and no more messy cream.
I guess an old dog can learn new tricks.
10mm, when you care enough to send the very best.
If possible, so much as it depends on you, be at peace with all men. Rom 12:18
WoodrowC
Levergunner 1.0

Post by WoodrowC »

Braun Series 7.Best I've ever tried.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Old Ironsights wrote:
new pig hunter wrote:JR,

I was never THAT bored on deployment ...... and never man enough for a straight razor !!
He's not bored enough. BORED is sharpening, then learning to shave with, your bayonet...
Hahaha no not that bored. but my bench made folder has gotten wicked sharp on this tour.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Birdman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Birdman »

I use a Mach III, but I'm setting here with about a weeks growth and a hankering to let it grow. I have always grown a beard every winter but for the past two. My wife don't like it as much as when it was dark. 2 1/2 years ago I convinced her to grow her beautiful red hair out but she would only do it if I keep shaving. So, for 2.5 years we have been black mailing each other over hair. She's starting to get tired of messing with the long hair, (and man does it ever look good) and I'm wanting to grow my beard so we just may call off the bet. Now I don't want any of you saying anything bad about my woman and my beard. We've had a lot of laughs about our black mailing each other. She is a dandy and I'll say to my grave that there ain't a man on earth who has a better woman than I got.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Birdman wrote:I use a Mach III, but I'm setting here with about a weeks growth and a hankering to let it grow. I have always grown a beard every winter but for the past two. My wife don't like it as much as when it was dark. 2 1/2 years ago I convinced her to grow her beautiful red hair out but she would only do it if I keep shaving. So, for 2.5 years we have been black mailing each other over hair. She's starting to get tired of messing with the long hair, (and man does it ever look good) and I'm wanting to grow my beard so we just may call off the bet. Now I don't want any of you saying anything bad about my woman and my beard. We've had a lot of laughs about our black mailing each other. She is a dandy and I'll say to my grave that there ain't a man on earth who has a better woman than I got.
Pics? Love red headed women. Married one. She keeps it mostly blonde. :(
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Birdman wrote:I use a Mach III, but I'm setting here with about a weeks growth and a hankering to let it grow. I have always grown a beard every winter but for the past two. My wife don't like it as much as when it was dark. 2 1/2 years ago I convinced her to grow her beautiful red hair out but she would only do it if I keep shaving. So, for 2.5 years we have been black mailing each other over hair. She's starting to get tired of messing with the long hair, (and man does it ever look good) and I'm wanting to grow my beard so we just may call off the bet. Now I don't want any of you saying anything bad about my woman and my beard. We've had a lot of laughs about our black mailing each other. She is a dandy and I'll say to my grave that there ain't a man on earth who has a better woman than I got.
Won't hear nothing from me. Not allowed to grow a beard in my line of work. But I am allowed a mustache. My wife hates the mustache and I like her to have long hair so I am in the same blackmail situation as you.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
cjensen
Levergunner

Post by cjensen »

Merkur Heavy Duty Classic Safety Razor and Feather brand double edge blades (Got both at Amazon) with any soap and brush.

Feather blades are a new definition of sharp, paid something like $17 for 50 DE blades. Be very careful if you try them.
I think this is my first post here. Hard to believe since I joined in 2008.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Honed this yesterday and shaved with it today. I think it's from the 1820s, but not sure.

Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
airedaleman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by airedaleman »

I never shave a whisker
from off of my horny hide...
I just pound them in with a hammer,
and BITE them off inside!

Actually, I use a Gillette safety razor I bought 55 years ago. Cracks me up to see one rack of double edged blades among the myriad whizzbang blades. My best friend, one of the most hyperactive men I've ever met, has shaved with a straight razor for the half century I've known him. It's a miracle that he still has a nose and two ears.
Riamh Nar Dhruid O Spairn Lann
- motto on the Irish Regiments' flags
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

I hate shaving, and I have a job that doesn't make me, so I don't :D. I haven't shaved in months, actually I've only shaved about twice in the last year. Now I just trim up with the beard trimmer from time to time. When I used to have to shave it was generally with a Gillette Fusion, or a Phillips electric (waterproof so I can shave in the shower). I used to be like Streetstar a bit. I hated shaving, but liked to be clean shaven except for a goatee. I never thought I'd like a full beard, but boy howdy was I ever wrong! Now I don't see myself ever shaving agian
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I was never THAT bored on deployment ...... and never man enough for a straight razor !!

these days I like this one, smoothest shave I've ever experienced, it uses 5 blades in the insert .... simply amazing.

Some interesting reading: http://straightrazorplace.com/

Cheers,

Carl
retired Navy Seabee
I use the same razor. I couldn't grow a decent bread or mustache if my life depended on it - probably just enough leftover Native American blood to keep me relatively smooth! :D Started my shaving life using a brush and disposable blades in my grandfather's old razor. Tried electric but never liked the feel. Haven't tried a straight razor though I own one!
new pig hunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by new pig hunter »

JR,

What, no beard ?? Positively Criminal !!

Here's a couple of lads deployed last year to the sandbox, and still well-groomed early in the deployment ......

Cheers,

Carl
CaptainFinn
Levergunner 2.0

Post by CaptainFinn »

Has anyone tried the 'Shave Secret' oil from WalMart? About three-four drops in the palm of your hand then pat on your beard with a little hot water. Shave with or without shaving cream. Seriously night and day over any shave I've ever had. I usually use a Sensor 3 and some Barbasol over the shave secret, or just shave secret if I'm shaving in the shower.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

What, no beard ?? Positively Criminal !!

Here's a couple of lads deployed last year to the sandbox, and still well-groomed early in the deployment ......

Cheers,

Carl
Hahaha
Wish they would let me but guess I am not in the cool kid part of the USMC

Tycer
That is a nice looking Bengal bet it shaves like a dream.

Kid you need to get that razor honed up and give it a go.

Here is what I am shaving with tonight. Just got the razor in the mail today looking forward to seeing how she shaves. (It looks nicer in person I just suck with a camera)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

My 40 year old Norelco that I purchased after inheriting and wearing out my dads Norelco.
Except for my time in the army when I used the issue Schick injector, I have never spent a dime on blades or soap.