72 Hour Bug Out/Survival Bag Addition.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 72 Hour Bug Out/Survival Bag Addition.

Post by OldWin »

I carry a get home bag daily back and forth to work. I'm 54 miles from work and work nights. Some nights don't pass a car on the way in. With temps as they have been this winter, a cell phone may not save me. I also keep many items in my vehicle year round.
As to bugging out or "forting up", everyone's situation is different depending on geography, population, and the type of emergency. Physical condition and health issues come into play also.
There is no single plan.You can also be the victim of too much planning and preperation.
For me, in most situations, my biggest enemy will be climate.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

the only bag I carry is my hunting pack in the truck or car gets me to and from got everything I need if I breakdown or have to spend the night out. danny
1894c

Post by 1894c »

I like the Henry Carbine (16" bbl), light, accurate, easy to carry... :)
h001l-levercarbine-main.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Sixgun wrote:I just don't understand this bug out concept.

Your safest place is at home. If things get that bad on the outside, your going to need more than just yourself, a bag of food, and a .22. Friends will be killing friends and there will be no safe place outside of the home, unless you live in the Rockies and have a bunker to go to.

The way I see it, if your equipped with a "bug out bag" and any kind of a weapon, you will most likely live a few days or a week before you get zapped or die of hunger, thirst, or bad nerves, which most people will get due to the uncertainty of surviving. The exceptions here are real deal survival people who have the skills and are in an area where no one else is.

I'll take my chances in my own fort. Plenty of food, water, shelter, any gun I so choose, along with massive amounts of ammo for multiple weapons.....something you cannot do when your on your own.

If my fort gets focused on, so be it. I'll leave more of them pushing up daisies before they can get me.

A bug out bag for the average guy is wishful thinking.-----6
I don't have a bug-out bag, I have a get-home bag. And my one firearm is an old G17 with extra mags. I figure the "varmints" that I'll have to deal with are the two-legged variety. I do travel...
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
RustyJr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by RustyJr »

I carry a get home bag in the truck. No firearms in the truck unless I'm going hunting but I do carry spare mags and ammo for my handgun that I always have on me (Glock 23 40 S&W). If I were to carry a long gun I would probably pick a iron sighted 22 magnum bolt action with a good scope attached. Gives you the option of shooting small game but gives a little more power for taking deer and hogs if you have to.

RustyJr
Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

A "Get Home Bag".............. I tell you guys, it's not fun being half Italian. Even though my other half is German, that side rarely shows itself.......except when I'm wheeling and dealing W & C's.

I never gave that much thought, mostly because my life centers at home, I work right down the street (1 mile) and Targetmaster is 4 miles down the road. Your looking at about 98% of my life right there.

Now you know why I have a Jeep that's 25 years old and the other one has only been in the rain 11 times.

One thing for sure, my gas tank on Old Yeller never gets below 1/2 and the other Jeeps are always on full.----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

You're lucky Six. My wife is like that, works 300yrds up the street. Her car is three years old and has 9k miles on it.
Me, not so much.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

El Chivo wrote:
mikld wrote: Truly, I think your best survival tool would be a jar with a lid. For catching insects. I am good at catching crickets, which I did for my frogs for a while. I didn't eat them, but the way my frogs love them, I'm less averse to it. Survival is survival.
They must be cooked well - they can have parasites and I have seen nasty long parasitic worms come out of crickets in TN.

I talk to all these bug-out guys on the phone, and they all tell me if things get bad they will come up here and live off the land with me.

What people don't realize is that any given piece of land only supports a certain population of any creature, including man. Man has increased this by using the land efficiently, but Alaska does not have the infrastructure to support its population this way. The heaviest populated parts of the state are totally dependent on getting food in from outside. Much of the state is very difficult to survive off of the land in, even with knowledge and preparation.

What is scary about the Lower 48 is that I talk to so many people whose survival plans are to take a bugout bag loaded with ammo and guns and head bug out of the city to survive on the countryside. No plans further than that. What will they be surviving on? If things really got that bad, large game and even a lot of smaller animals will get wiped out quickly. That means that their only means of survival will be to take from others by theft or force.

The scary thing about Alaska is that it would not take a really bad situation in the Lower 48 to make a desperate situation here. Anything that removed the incentive for food to be shipped up here would result in mass starvation in the few cities and in places like a lot of South Central Alaska.

There are parts of Alaska that I know how to survive in. Not where I am now, though. If things looked bad, I would head out. I don't want to be that person who will take from others and I don't want to eat people. If I look at that kind situation realistically, I could expect to be eating things like squirrels (they taste bad), grouse, jays, seagulls and other seabirds, rabbits, beaver, porcupine, marmots, marine mammals, and other small animals.

This makes my most valuable firearm a .22 rifle.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I drive 75k miles a year. Never leave home without my gear.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

Someone mentioned Mormon crickets - the deal was a band of them came marching from the coast (millions of crickets) and huge flocks of seagulls followed, eating the crickets. By the time the westward-heading Mormans were lost in the desert and starving, the eastward heading crickets met up with them and the Mormans ate the seagulls (and the crickets) and followed them to the great salt lake, where the seagulls still remain.
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

sixgun Iam with you everything I need is at my home I have gravity fed water for house and irrigation a wood stove for heat and cooking all the beef and canned food I can eat in a year plenty of fuel stored up and if I run out of fuel I have horses and live on a dead end road in the middle of a meadow with a million acres of NF at my back and around me I dont care what the crisis is power goes tits up or ww3 Iam here and dug in like a tick.
I would suggest to everyone put in a garden learn to can food raise some meat, figure how to get water to your home if the elec oil or gas is gone or to expensive to acquire. If you cant make your place work find a relative or best friend thats place can be fixed up to be self sufficient and store enough fuel to get there. Heck a depression or natural disaster can hit in minutes how you going to handle it thats how I prepare. Point in fact how many people are without elec or gas this very minute due to the eastern storms and cold. danny
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Mike, saw one of the AR-7 camo versions in shrewsbury at the gunbunker.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

rjohns94 wrote:Mike, saw one of the AR-7 camo versions in shrewsbury at the gunbunker.
Thanks, I'll give them a call.
You okay with me unloading your old Bond?
This is also part of an ongoing downsizing venture for me.
Unloading two for one.
My Dad informed me next hunting season is going to be his last.
Got to start making room in the safe for his heard.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Sure. What are you going to want for it? :wink:
Mike Johnson,

cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

rjohns94 wrote:Sure. What are you going to want for it? :wink:
Not sure, got to do some research.
I may go the trade route to avoid sales tax.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

7.62 Precision, I promise I won't be coming up to live with you! :lol:

I'm bugging in right here on my own little slice of heaven in Mississippi. But I too have had people that I know make similar remarks about coming to my place - I tell them to get their own! :) My place is for me and my kids/family.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

O.S.O.K. wrote: My place is for me and my kids/family.
I feel that way too --- I do wonder how long it will take my little 1.5 acre farm pond to get fished out though, if I was depending on fish for a good portion of my protein needs -------- the pond has fish, turtles, frogs at times -- all sorts of opportunities -- ducks and geese --- plus the sneaky critters who try to prey on bedded down ducks and geese

I always thought that I had plenty of guns already -- but it would be nice to add some nets and other fishing gear to the mix for occasional forays to our small lakes nearby
----- Doug
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

In a very small space, you could have a self sustaining veggie and fish store. Been looking at a system that grows veggies above, fish below, and then the water is pumped from the fish to the veggies, providing nutrients to the plants and filtered water to the fish. A mixture of fish could be kept in such a system, would be mercury free, and provide protein and veggies while being very economical. Captured rain water, well water or other chemical free water can be used to replenish the water supply to the fish. $250 worth of stuff or less gets you going. I'm giving it a go in the spring in addition to the normal plot for veggies. Going to do more vertical farming and add this and other raised beds and expand the berry bushes.

Here is an example: [url][http://www.suburbanfarmer.com.au/fish-farms//url]
Mike Johnson,

cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

My plan is to bug-out to my local Walmart.
Sure can't beat the entertainment. :lol:
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

casastahle wrote:My plan is to bug-out to my local Walmart.
Sure can't beat the entertainment. :lol:
Here's how most will bugout: http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=172494
Last edited by Tycer on Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

The Wally world by my house is a scary place.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Mescalero wrote:The Wally world by my house is a scary place.
As is mine. :o
I was just trying for funny sarcasm. :wink:
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

I used to keep a "get home" bag at work, living in earthquake country (which among other things had a 1911 and 4 mags. in it). There were about a dozen bridges and over/under passes between me an home, downtown LA to San Pedro, so my bag included the ignition keys to a Cat 310 loader. The Cat could cross/go over obstacles, move obstacles (cars) and hit 25 MPH quite easily. My pick up would only have been able to go 1/2 mile in any direction before a possible bridge down situation, but my favorite Cat could get me all 20 miles home...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

mikld wrote:I used to keep a "get home" bag at work, living in earthquake country (which among other things had a 1911 and 4 mags. in it). There were about a dozen bridges and over/under passes between me an home, downtown LA to San Pedro, so my bag included the ignition keys to a Cat 310 loader. The Cat could cross/go over obstacles, move obstacles (cars) and hit 25 MPH quite easily. My pick up would only have been able to go 1/2 mile in any direction before a possible bridge down situation, but my favorite Cat could get me all 20 miles home...
Nah, you couldn't have ever lived here, cuz a real San Pedran never says San Pedro, just Pedro. And for the uninitiated, it isn't Pedro with the Mexican pronunciation, it Peeedro.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

UPDATE:
Bottom line one of my new years resolutions still stands.
I pulled the plug on the purchase of the AR-7.
I asked myself 3 basic gun purchase questions.
The 3 responses were not overly favorable for this particular gun purchase.
I did indeed unload both of my derringers at a profit.
So end of story, I was successful in my original goal of downsizing the heard.
Machado
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Machado »

Sixgun wrote:I just don't understand this bug out concept.

Your safest place is at home. If things get that bad on the outside, your going to need more than just yourself, a bag of food, and a .22. Friends will be killing friends and there will be no safe place outside of the home, unless you live in the Rockies and have a bunker to go to.

The way I see it, if your equipped with a "bug out bag" and any kind of a weapon, you will most likely live a few days or a week before you get zapped or die of hunger, thirst, or bad nerves, which most people will get due to the uncertainty of surviving. The exceptions here are real deal survival people who have the skills and are in an area where no one else is.

I'll take my chances in my own fort. Plenty of food, water, shelter, any gun I so choose, along with massive amounts of ammo for multiple weapons.....something you cannot do when your on your own.

If my fort gets focused on, so be it. I'll leave more of them pushing up daisies before they can get me.

A bug out bag for the average guy is wishful thinking.-----6
+1, 6.
Antonio