How Cold is it There?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

How Cold is it There?

Post by 7.62 Precision »

How cold is it actually in the Lower 48?

All I am hearing is wind chill temps, not actual temperatures. I guess the media like to sensationalize everything, because they don't report the actual temperatures. I am hearing -75 in the midwest, -20 in TN, -37 in WV, -60 in NY, and we all know that that can't be true, especially in WV and TN and the midwest, or everything would be frozen and people dying.

I'm interested to know the actual temperatures that you guys are seeing. Everyone OK? Even temps as warm as 0 will freeze everything up in a place like TN, where the ground normally stays warm. On top of that, no one has ways to make heat anymore if the power goes out.

Up here, the wind chill is never counted as part of the temperature - it only affects exposed humans (and animals).
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Re: How Cold is it There?

Post by 7.62 Precision »

By the way, the weather here is strange right now, too. Really balmy - averaging up in the 20s or higher, but no wind. Snow is melting.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

The Puget Sound region is lucky. We are experiencing normal weather, that is, cloudy, rainy, and highs in the area of 45. My free standing propane stove uses no electric 8)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Warmer than last night. 16ºF now. 11ºF projected low. -4ºF last night. I actually ran the KeroSun in the greenhouse last night.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Was zero for the low a couple nights, then its warmed up to the upper 30's and should be low 40's in the next few days I believe. Was about 20 below a few nites last month, then back to the 40's or so off and on.

I agree, wind chills aren't accurate reporting. Danged unpleasant to be out in, but not the actual temp.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

-4F right now here in southern Ontario, warmest it's been all day.
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Post by wolfdog »

I was at Hunting camp in SW GA last night. Weather maroons said it was 12, my thermometer said 9. It was cold enough in my hooch that my dogs water bowl froze solid 4 feet from my heater.
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Actual Temp no wind chill , -28 F Monday morning with high winds and -24 F this morning but no wind. It was a little brisk.
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

Minus six F this morning in southwest OH. Temps in single digits yesterday, today we got a balmy 11 but the sun was working hard.

Coldest I've seen it here since we moved up from Valdosta GA in '86.

Funny, I talked with a co-worker in Calgary Canada, he was better off than I was.

Windchill is one of those stupid measurements the weather lemmings like to spout for more drama. And notice now, it's a "weather event"?

Don't even get me started on the marketing badgers at the weather channel on naming storms. Whoever came up with that idea deserves an excessively amorous visit from Frederick the love moose.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Here in NE OK it was -11F Sunday night and we had a high Monday of 14. I think it went to about zero last night but then warmed up to about 10 by daylight. I had to hustle up some wood for our stove just because I like the heat from it better than the ground source heat pump we have. I sold a bunch of walnut a few years ago so I'm still burning those tops. It got up to about 40 today so some of the snow melted especially on the paved roads. Maybe we'll have school tomorrow so the kids won't be here all day. I hope, I hope, I hope.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Well, it got down into the 50's last night. I had to turn on the heater and throw another blanket on the bed. I hate winter.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

As long as the ground is warm enough, the heat pumps work, but would it still work if you had sustained temps of say -10?

Standard heat pumps are not used here - they don't work.
J35
Levergunner 3.0

Post by J35 »

Eastern VA-- Tuesday 1-7-14 7AM = 9*, at 3pm = 20*

-----J
Keep The Peace, Love and Harmony, These are the Gold Nuggets, All Else Is Sand !!
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Tycer,
Does the Kerro-Sun smell when it is working?
Steelbanger
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Steelbanger »

Eastern PA here and this morning the temp was -7. High for today was 9º and right now just before 7 pm it's 3º. I agree with everyone else about these weathermen and their windchill temps.
"He who has gone, so we but cherish his memory, abides with us, more potent, nay, more present, than the living man."
Antoine de Saint-Expuéry

Steelbanger, N.R.A. Life
PRPA Member
Marlin - a hard habit to break.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Southeast Pa. (Philly area) 8 degrees last night with a high of 12 going down to 7 tonight. The coldest it has been in 20 years.

I'm catching our outside cats sneaking in the basement using the doggie door. I guess the barn is not warm enough for them. I let them be. Even put some food down there for em. Our horse gobbled up 10 pounds of sweet feed before my wife whacked me on the head telling me I'm going to make the horse colic.

I got both wood stoves smokin hot.

Even had to put this electric thing in the 50 gallon horse trough to keep the water from freezing. I left Old Yeller, my 89 jeep in the garage and pulled the cover off of the newer Rubicon.....that one has a heater in it.

I don't know how you guys in the north and Alaska survive. This sucks.-------6

On a happier note, if anyone has bedbugs in the house, :o I hear if you open your windows for a couple of hours they will all die. (You probably will too :D )
Last edited by Sixgun on Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Started out this morning at about 28º and got up to 38º.

Supposed to get to 41º, 58º on Thursday and 61º on Friday... with chances of rain from between 20-30% for all 3 days. Talking heads rarely know squat. I check my weather on http://www.weather.gov/, predictions are rarely correct, but... actuals are usually spot on.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I saw the neighbor kid board the school buss this morning and he was wearing shorts.
I often see him barefooted in 40deg. weather though. :shock:
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

Here in northern NH it was -18 Saturday morning at the house and -24 in town. By Sunday evening it had started to rain. Think ice! Monday morning the temperature climbed to 45 degrees and for 12 hours we had hard, wind driven rain. What a mess that made. Everything melted. Today (Tuesday) the temperature plummeted back down to zero all day with a very strong wind still blowing. Think more ice! It will be well below zero tonight. With the wind 20-30 it is bitter cold. Temps are predicted to stay low for a few days and then temps are forecasted to be back up in the 40s for several more days starting Saturday. Hard to figure out this crazy weather. We have lots of ice and snow only in the woods. I could mow the lawn, except for getting frostbite doing it!
1894c

Post by 1894c »

BlaineG wrote:The Puget Sound region is lucky. We are experiencing normal weather, that is, cloudy, rainy, and highs in the area of 45. My free standing propane stove uses no electric 8)
What BlaineG saaid...did have three sunny days though, but back to the Pacific NorthWest rain, followed by rain, cloudy with more rain, followed by rain and more rain...all within a 40 to 46 degree swing... :)
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

real temps

last friday was -20
last night was -14
today high was 3 and tonight going to -5 but on the moutain will probably run -8
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

SE PA. Currently 8 degrees going to 5 tonight.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

We broke a record from the 1880's last night @ -16. Was still -7 when I left the house this morning.
Three degrees on the way home. Seems like we get a blast like this about every ten years or so.
I didn't mind the cold so much as the wind. That really sucked the heat out of the house!!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Sunday, was windy & around 10 above, at 10pm it was 20 below, at 5am Monday
it was 5 above & windy with a high of around 30, here the west winds will clear the cold out
so some times wind is good, today the wife said it was 45, great day here & no Wind!!!!

ollogger
Jayhawker
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Jayhawker »

Had a high today of 73F but it's going to drop to 42F tonight. I'm thinking of lighting the pilot on the heater. You guys stay warm, you hear?
Well done is better than well said.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I am in Phoenix right now.
If you look at the national map, we are JUST outside the cold belt.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Tennessee ........It's very warm, almost too hot to sleep or function in a normal way. Do not believe what these guys are saying. I know, I'm the guy who invented the internet.....Al Gore
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

In north Arkansas where we are the temp has been down around 5 to 7 degrees at night and as high as 12 to 17 during the day since the weekend. It is starting to go back up some now. Praise the Lord it has been dry and no ice or snow.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Stan in SC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Stan in SC »

Upstate South Carolina was 9 degrees last night. Only supposed to be a low of 14 tonight. Hell of a lot colder'n I want it to be.

Stan in SC
The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45-70,it's almost a religion
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

7.62 Precision wrote:As long as the ground is warm enough, the heat pumps work, but would it still work if you had sustained temps of say -10?

Standard heat pumps are not used here - they don't work.
I heat my house with a horizontal loop, in ground heat pump. Last night it got down to 12 below zero Farhenheit, but the wind was around 30 mph all night which really cooled things. This morning, the in house temp was 69 degrees but the thermostat was set to 72 degrees, so the heat pump could not keep up. I do have a electrical emergency heat auxiliary, but I have it wired so that it needs to be manually switched on and I decided to leave it off. If there is not wind, the heat pump will heat the house (three stories at the back, two at the front, about 3,400 square feet counting all three heated stories) at minus 30 Celsius ( about 22 below zero Farhenheit) without falling behind, but this morning the 30 mph wind made the difference.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

Last week we had -15 / -20, during December we had some -25 (thats when my heat tape went out). Working in it every day 10/12 hours its not bad, the wind I do hate thou. Went shooting Saturday for 4 hrs and it was +2, but you can shoot alot at those temps.
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

29 in daytona fl
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

Got down to 9 last night in Raleigh. That broke the previous record low for Jan 7 of 15 degrees. Was about 22 around 1pm today. Supposed to be 65 by the weekend. Average high this time of year is low fifties.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Mescalero wrote:Tycer,
Before Kerosene got expensive, I used my heater all the time.....you can smell it when you start it up and when you turn it off....but, I'm not too picky.......Still have it for back up to the propane...
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
samb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by samb »

Clear and cold in central Ga last night 10 F, foggy and cool here in Alberta to nite at 10 F.
SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SJPrice »

Cold snap seems to be moving on from Dallas/Ft Worth area. It is 38 F here this morning and we are headed for mid sixties by Sunday. Be safe and keep warm all you lever gunners up north.
Always Drink Upstream From The Herd
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

My ground source has 6 each hundred foot deep wells with loops down in them. Ground temp below 5 feet is a constant 55 degrees so it really works great both winter and summer. Built this house about 15 years ago and used 2 x 6 studs on 2 foot centers and insulated with wet blown cellulose. Biggest electric bill has been about $150. Heating about 2800 square feet and have my shop on the same meter. Shop has hot water heater and a frig in it and there 2 more frigs and a freezer in the house. Electric dryer too. Very efficient system.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

it's too cold here

S. Texas temps were tracking Anchorage temps yesterday.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

One has to learn to maintain them. Improper wick length can result in very smelly operation. I used one as the sole source of heat for one winter in the ROK and was fine but was burned out by one neighbor's incorrect operation of one.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

-32 F this morn, -35F actual temp the other day.
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

No. They smell when you first light them and when you shut them off. While running, the smell is minimal. The one I used in the greenhouse is a Radiant 36 I bought in 1982 and it was my heat for two winters in CO back then and my shop heater for about 10 years though the 90s. I am less inclined to use it indoors today than I was back then. I'm much more concerned about maintaining my health these days and sniffing burned hydrocarbons and a bit of CO might not fit my "clean" food/water/air attempts at staying healthy. I'd use it in a heartbeat if it were needed and I'd like it. I have two, just in case... The Radiant 36 runs about a day on a gallon and a half. 9600 BTU. My big one is 23,000 BTU and runs about 10 hours on 2 gallons. Colored K1 runs fine, the "pure" fuel you can buy runs the same amount of time and costs a bunch more. I can't tell the difference in smell. I've never replaced a wick.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

It took a couple days, but the wind has finally died down and it is a gorgeous sunny day today. Started the morning by blowing out the drifts in my lane and I should be good all day. Here's a photo taken a few minutes ago out the living room window. To give you an idea of the drifts, there is a normal, full size picnic table completely buried under the drift in the lower right hand corner of the photo.

Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

We are in strange patterns in Calgary, just north of Montana. -34C/-30F then -5C/23F the next. We get warming chinook winds off the east slope here in southern Alberta. A 100 miles north and it hit -38C/-38F. We have experienced snow fall well above current seasonal norms as well. The bush country is deep. Logging roads have very high snow berms and I'm getting concerned for the animals.

I don't panic over wind chill numbers but there was more wind than normal with this cold front. Put on a coat and gloves! With the wind we had ice crystal snowfall. The roads were brutal, cold soaked then wet air right at freezing the next day. I think that is what cripples the southerners. Saw lots of vehicles on the roof and an unusual number of jack knifed rigs last night driving home from central west Alberta. Must be some kinda show watching your trailer pass you!!!!

Reminds me of an old trucker joke. Old veteran drivers Bert and Ernie are at a Defensive Driver course. The young instructor says to Bert, "your rolling down a steep mountain pass, your air line bursts, you miss the shift, 1000 foot drop to one side, rock wall on the other, with a jack knifed fuel truck ahead. What do you you do?"

Bert replies, "Wake up Ernie quick from the sleeper. He ain't never seen a wreck like we are fixing to have."
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

seemingly back to normal yesterday and today in Oklahoma --- Monday was unseasonably cold -- but yesterday high was 45 , low around 28 and today the low was 28 but supposed to be around 40 later on --- those are pretty typical temps, but more weather is moving in tonight and it will be sleeting

The ups and downs are playing heck with my immune system -- one day 5 degrees, the next day 45 -- I don't ever recall this much talk about the weather nationwide either
----- Doug
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Hobie wrote:
One has to learn to maintain them. Improper wick length can result in very smelly operation. I used one as the sole source of heat for one winter in the ROK and was fine but was burned out by one neighbor's incorrect operation of one.

You guys want to hear something that is really a bummer?
They make a Kerosene Heater that is extremely clean burning, fuel lasts longer and it is one heck of a heat source for when that type heater is needed.
I heard some idiot had a fire started in his garage and blamed the heater. The Mfg. got into a pi##ing contest with USA whoever powers to be and the MFG pulled the plug and patent for the USA.
They are no longer available here.
My brother has one. I normally hate those things. This one you do not smell absolutely nothing.Even at start up the thing don't soot like the normal ones. If memory serves me right his burns "all 24hrs on under 2 gallons when set to around 12,000 btu

He can get the wicks, I think he bought like 20 :lol: just in case?
That heater, I would love to have for times when it might be needed.

My old Sears 18,000 BTU convection heater is works if need be but they are kinda smelly like the rest. Also last year with the big buddy propane(which I hate)I bought a 12,000 Kero-World radiant heater for in case stuff, but it does not adjust low enough for my taste.Turn the know as far ccw and it still has a slightly orange kinda high flame and seems to stink more than it should course then again have not even used that small tank full yet.
This summer for "no power" will have a Ryobi 2500watt generator just to power stoker, and will have a Keystoker cook stove upstairs.

I absolutely hate non-vented propane,,Kerosene heaters.Except that one now you cant get.
Last edited by madman4570 on Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

https://www.toyotomiusa.com/factoryOutl ... uct_id=126
Guess if you look hard can probably find one somewhere?
This is it!
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Sunday and Monday we had the coldest two day temps since 1982. We were -11 Monday morning and never got above zero. That was some sort of record too.
NRA Life Member
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Had 12deg on Sunday night/Monday morn, mid 20s yesterday, but it's in the upper 40s today.

Not terrible, but kinda chilly for these parts.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
BruceB
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BruceB »

66 today. Was in the 70's over the weekend. Gets real cold at night. It was 45 when I got up at 3:30 this morning. :shock:
GOD SAVE THE UNITED STATES!

Original member of Leverguns.com forum

NRA Life Member

Boy, what a mess them .45's make.

When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Northern SC, just south of Charlotte, hit 8 degrees as the low the other day. Haven't ever seen standing temps that low here! But it was near 50 today and will be mid-60's Saturday! :D