Anybody hear from Terry Murbach ??

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Anybody hear from Terry Murbach ??

Post by Charles »

Glad to know Terry is up, about and still doing what he does best, i.e. being Terry. He is a great guy, but a little short on patience with human nature. I will have to admit, it (human nature) does wear awful thin as the years go on and I have to remind myself daily that I am one of those "esso bees" as well.
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

:lol: did you guys expect any less?

I just don't get how someone coming to a forum to ask a related question is lazy. If I have a problem with my truck, I go to a F150 forum. I suppose I'm using their wealth of knowledge they built some years of reading and experience, but I am not a truck enthusiast. I just want it to work. I try to help others if it is something I know about.

I can sort of understand the other thing about the formerly OT subjects, but I often weigh in too. So I just scan, read what I want, post when I want and leave the rest. But I much rather read about lever actions and their cartridges than washing machines and cooking.

And I do not come here to look at women. Not because I am puritanical, just there are much better sites for that.
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

Rusty wrote:Re: Anybody hear from Terry Murbach ?? I haven't seen him post lately.
When I first joined this forum I was impressed by the genteelness of the members and their willingness to help even the greenest noob that came along....until TERRY MURBACH opened his mouth. I sat and watched him run off several new members with his condescending, arrogant attitude and caustic replies to their innocent questions....questions I'm sure were an attempt on their part to gain knowledge or to validate something they were told elsewhere.

Then I saw this post and thought what the heck? Why would anyone poke a sleeping, bad-natured grizzle bear with a stick? And then I thought, "Wait a minute....I've been gone for a while....maybe he's changed.

Evidently not.

I DON'T CARE IF THE MAN HAS FORGOTTEN MORE ABOUT LEVER GUNS THAN JOHN MOSES BROWNING EVER KNEW, HE'S AN ARROGANT, SELF-RIGHTOUS, CONDESENDING JERK! If not for the forum rules I have several other descriptive phrases that MUCH better describe him. Have I ever met him in person....NO, and I don't care to. Neither one of us would enjoy it.

My favorite two lines from all the movies I've ever watched are from John Wayne in "The Shootist": "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them". and Tony Lee Jones in "Lonesome Dove": “I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it.” Although these are only lines in a movie I take them to heart and pretty much live my life like this.

Pitchy, I certainly hope you read this, Sir I'd drive a hundred miles just to shake your hand and share a cup of coffee. I wouldn't go across town to eat a steak dinner MURBACH was buying if he sent a limo to get me.

Now, having said the above....I enjoy this forum. But I do have a life away from the keyboard. Paco or Hobie you can ban me if you want. I have never intentionally insulted or talked down to anyone here, and if I've found out or even thought I've offended someone I've apologized. But you either need to remove the word "politely" from the forum rules statement or quit entitling MR. MURBACH and bid him ado.

If you guys want gone just say so.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Naw,
You stay here with us.
I want to see that Glock video.
You are also the first cop I have ever heard give a realistic assesment of " the war on drugs ".
This place has become a little testy lately.
Maybe Hobie needs to give a reminder that we are supposed to be gentleman.
foxtrapper
Levergunner 2.0

Post by foxtrapper »

From another forum. If your one of the chosen nastiness will not be tolerated.

Jan 9, 2014 at 11:51am QuotePost by TERRY MURBACH on Jan 9, 2014 at 11:51am

Jan 8, 2014 at 7:09pm CraigC said:

Jan 8, 2014 at 7:04pm taffin said:
I WON'T BOTHER YOU AGAIN.
Thanks!

THE QUESTION IS CRAIG, WILL YOU BOTHER ALL OF US AGAIN WITH SNOTTY ANSWERs LIKE THIS. This is totally uncalled for amd while you have a sharp mouth, and are quick witted, and always think you are right, you for damnsure are NOT right here.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Mescalero wrote:Naw,

This place has become a little testy lately.
Its been record breaking cold! -- Some of us haven't been able to get out shooting much this winter --- that'll make a guy testy for sure :)
----- Doug
klhill
Levergunner 2.0

Post by klhill »

Well said FireFuzz, I agree 100% !
Ravenman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ravenman »

FireFuzz great statement - you hit the mark!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

The recent CME has fried some brains....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

firefuzz wrote:[quote="I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them".[/color] and Tony Lee Jones in "Lonesome Dove": “I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it.” Although these are only lines in a movie I take them to heart and pretty much live my life like this. Rob
You hit the nail on the head! Personally, I highly suspect if it were myself or another member that ran their mouth like that on the board we would be banned. If I were a moderator, I would inactivate his account and be done with it.

I did find it peculiar that Terry went to lower case to spell the word idiot since he always types in all caps.

Not sure about the rest of you but I for one wont be buying BLACK HILLS AMMO or subscribing to any magazine that publishes his articles.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
samb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by samb »

Lately I have been asking myself?
Is it true?
Is it kind?
Is it necessary?
Before I speak.
I read this on my employers website and it was posted by an employee. Good advice.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Reading this thread, and a few others recently, there are a number non polite postings from a number of forum members. Not sure if it's cabin fever, wild hairs or crust in the underwear but it's a bit ridiculous. No need to post unkind or non polite things whether unprovoked or in response to others. Let's get on with something more productive.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

hayabusa wrote: Not quite the insight & comments I was looking forward to.
hayabusa
This has been my experience. My last question where Mr. Murbach weighed in with his normal condescension was about scopes with adjustable reticles. His comment was essentially that in 30+ years he never needed such a thing, so they were useless. Later on another member chimed in with real experience and guidance on the matter. I did purchase one and it was great to finally do my closeup shooting with sharp images.

30 years or not, everyone has gaps in their knowledge and listening to a self-prescribed expert would have been a mistake if I had taken it to heart. Or to not ask a question in the first place to avoid having someone who's basically looking for people to pick on. But I know some people well enough to take them with a grain of salt.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

I remember 2002-2003, when I first came to Paco's site looking to learn, and talk about Leverguns, especially the Rossi Puma 92 clones in 454.

I remember Terry riding me about using the 454 on whitetail deer, complaining that it was over kill. You would think that someone with his self purported knowledge would understand the 300gr bullet at around 2000fps, is the equivalent of the old trapdoor loads in 45-70. I would say the 45-70 has killed many hundreds of tons of whitetails in the Eastern US and New England.

I have used that Puma 454 to fill many tags since, works very, very well with 300gr XTP Mag bullets, one shot down they go.

I do feel sorry for the Shootist's though, I have spoke with Paco, Jim Taylor, the Quinn Brothers, John Taffin; all via the internet, and they have always been pleasent and very, very helpful answering my questions. The Shootists have to put up with Will Terry, aka Terry Murbach. He must be like having Joe Biden or that old reporter Helen Thomas around, I can imagine the day starts out nice and then Terry shows up with his black cloud hovering around.

My point is in the 10+ years hanging around here, Terry has not really ever contributed much that I can remember about Leverguns, but all I can remember is his nasty and whining about people who don't know anything or OT posts.

Steve
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

I have been made largely immune to strong minded people after working at My job the last 42 years, a never ending parade of self appointed Experts. usually they are never wrong about nothing. many near retirement are sick and tired of everything and life in general. the lucky ones live to retire and have some Happy Years. many could be called a Curmudgeon.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I like TERRY, and respect him. He's just not very gentle with the truth at times. :lol: If you have never read The Old Man and The Boy by Ruark, do so.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

There is a difference between being blunt with the truth (as I am accused of being at times) and being that star-shaped thing between your butt cheeks.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

MrMurphy wrote:There is a difference between being blunt with the truth (as I am accused of being at times) and being that star-shaped thing between your butt cheeks.
Since I'm 62 and officially a Curmudgeon, I tend to stick to the Blunt side of the definition. (Yes, I know....about half the votes on me lean to the Star Shaped theory)

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Any sportsman that has never read the Old Man and the Boy is really missing the boat, You can hear the Quail Flush, smell the salt air of the marsh and the bluefish cooking on the beach. The old Man must have been one of a kind. All of Ruark's books are awesome...."Old Men and Old Dogs smell bad and generally belong out of the House. :) .
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

BlaineG wrote:
MrMurphy wrote:There is a difference between being blunt with the truth (as I am accused of being at times) and being that star-shaped thing between your butt cheeks.
Since I'm 62 and officially a Curmudgeon, I tend to stick to the Blunt side of the definition. (Yes, I know....about half the votes on me lean to the Star Shaped theory)
Sometimes being self-aware is both a blessing and a curse :D

The older men in my family were not curmudgeons, but they didn't waste any words and they meant what they said if they told you to do something. They also liked to joke, and you just had to KNOW them to know when they were joking and when they were serious.
As a lad in Montana, most ranchers I knew were curmudgeons, or...they were just like my family members.
My wife's grandpa was a curmudgeon....we got along just fine :D . I was one of the few people he would talk about his WW II experiences with, and not much with me. I appreciate humor, and every now and then someone says something that rubs me the wrong way. I just have to stop and think about whether that is my problem or theirs.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Ok, I am going to wade into the mudpit here. It is Paco's sight, and Hobie and Paco are the ones who say what goes and what stays. I respect them and will respect this website. I have made friends from here and have learned a lot. I am not stuck on leverguns only, but they are sure a great type of rifle. All this sounds pretty much like I am a middle kid in a large family, and that is true. Now, getting upset is your right, but you don't have the right to expect to never be upset by anyone else. If you can't handle other people, then grow up, remove the short pants, put on your long pants, and accept that you don't have a monopoly on knowledge. Unless you are talking one very specific and limited field and your name is Steven Hawking.

This is Paco's site and Hobie is the chief Moderator. Either respect their positions and accept that you don't own this site or buy it from Paco and change it.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

piller wrote:Ok, I am going to wade into the mudpit here. It is Paco's sight, and Hobie and Paco are the ones who say what goes and what stays. I respect them and will respect this website. I have made friends from here and have learned a lot. I am not stuck on leverguns only, but they are sure a great type of rifle. All this sounds pretty much like I am a middle kid in a large family, and that is true. Now, getting upset is your right, but you don't have the right to expect to never be upset by anyone else. If you can't handle other people, then grow up, remove the short pants, put on your long pants, and accept that you don't have a monopoly on knowledge. Unless you are talking one very specific and limited field and your name is Steven Hawking.

This is Paco's site and Hobie is the chief Moderator. Either respect their positions and accept that you don't own this site or buy it from Paco and change it.
AMEN piller! You're not in any mudpit on my place. Good on ya".
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.