I’m bored today! Handgun/rifle combos considered.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

I’m bored today! Handgun/rifle combos considered.

Post by GoatGuy »

We have seen many of our members post photos with their paired choices of a long gun/hand gun combo. All have been cool, one of my favorite topics and each are the telling of ones personal choices. This post is not meant to start an argument with any member here, or elicit comments about parentage, intellect, sexual orientation, moodiness, depression, personal hygiene, senility, red/blue voting preference, etc. I'm merely extremely bored, and very tired of the FRIGID COLD spells that have this part of the world in a menacing grip! I will admit, however, I'm not hardcore "fanboy" of single action revolvers. Sorry!

(Also not a discussion for one's choice of the myriad semi-automatic wonder handguns on the market today.)

Without argument, single action revolvers are anachronistic when one considers Browning's 1911 .45acp. Specifically, if one supports a handgun combo paired with martial, as well as sporting, long guns introduced after the turn of the 20th century. Following is support for my opinion.

1911 paired with 1903 Springfield - vs single action revolver
1911 paired 1926 Thompson M1928A1 - vs single action revolver
1911 paired paired with Garand M1 - vs single action revolver
1911 paired with M3 submachinegun - vs single action revolver
1911 paired with .30 caliber US carbine - vs single action revolver
1911 paired with the numerous variations of the AR platform - vs single action revolver

The double action revolver meets the criteria of an appropriate combo, more so than single action revolvers, as evidenced by sporting and police use, and of course service as a martial handgun when provided to military aircraft pilots and crew members up through the Viet Nam war era.

I do believe the 1911 can be an apropos combo with 1892 Winchester rifle/carbine, considering the two were conceived less than a decade separating their introduction to the world. And obviously, the 1894 Winchester would also greatly fit as a combo with the 1911, as many peace officers have been photographed with both guns in evidence.

So, other than out of nostalgia and/or hunting use, why are the reasons one would one choose a single action revolver, over an amazingly popular and proven semi automatic pistol, as one piece of the "combo in your world".
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Re: I’m bored today! Handgun/rifle combos considered.

Post by Buck Elliott »

The appeal of the traditional rifle/pistol (revolver) combinations lies in the ability to share common ammunition.. While that may not be of prime importance to some of you newly-arrived, more "progressive" types, it still works for a lot of us out here in wild country.. The advent of "magnum" revolver rounds has narrowed the gap in a ballistic sense, putting large-diameter, heavy-bullet efficiency in our hands.. Your touted semi-automatic pistols pale by comparison, in both power and effective range.. Double-action revolver ergonomics have not kept pace with the race for power, and most (if not all) the DA Boomers are much more brutal to shoot than their SA counterparts..

Those of us who live with the more-traditional combos, and use them extensively feel in no way Under-gunned with our choices..

Not all change is for the better, and not all "progress" moves us forward...
Last edited by Buck Elliott on Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

My ruger 44 Blackhawk and Henry 44 mag are King of the combos
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Good points.

Grab the Kimber 1911, Ruger Redhawk, Ruger Blackhawk, Glock 20

All good, whatever one does best with.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

M4 and a Glock 18.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

My mind wonders (wanders?) these days....current direction is to ditch the 1911, the Springer XDS 4.5, and Glock 30S, and get one, maybe two 625s, and a bunch of full moon clips. I'm Getting tired of chasing brass, and I can shoot S&W DAs wonderfully. There is also a current safe queen custom 4 5/8" SBH lurking that I'll never get rid of. It would pair nicely with my Marlin 1894 .44mag....Nice, light 300gr loads @ about 1,000fps.....

"If you're going to shoot something, might as well only have to shoot it once"
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Don't ditch the 1911,
whats wrong with you?
I will pick up John on the way up,
sit you down for a face to face.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Mescalero wrote:Don't ditch the 1911,
whats wrong with you?
I will pick up John on the way up,
sit you down for a face to face.
I'm going to try to swing by Late Spring-ish.....Go see Mom for a week, and meander back through TX, AZ.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Buck Elliott wrote:The appeal of the traditional rifle/pistol (revolver) combinations lies in the ability to share common ammunition.. While that may not be of prime importance to some of you newly-arrived, more "progressive" types, it still works for a lot of us out here in wild country.. The advent of "magnum" revolver rounds has narrowed the gap in a ballistic sense, putting large-diameter, heavy-bullet efficiency in our hands.. Your touted semi-automatic pistols pale by comparison, in both power and effective range.. Double-action revolver ergonomics have not kept pace with the race for power, and most (if not all) the DA Boomers are much more brutal to shoot than their SA counterparts..

Those of us who live with the more-traditional combos, and use them extensively feel in no way Under-gunned with our choices..

Not all change is for the better, and not all "progress" moves us forward...
Yep.

Of course, the reason my combo is a DA is because my SP101 is also my CCW...

Would like a nice SA .357 someday though.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

I sold my S&W 586 .357 mag back in 08 I think and ended up buying a 1911 that I thought I just had to have. Not sure if I will end up selling the 1911 to fund my next purchase, but I will state that I do get tired of chasing brass. I am thinking my next revolver will be a Ruger .44 mag in a Bisley or SBH or possibly back to a S&W 629, either would make the perfect combo for my Marlin 1894 .44 mag.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

One nice 'combo' I've realized is this '45' caliber 'trio'...
  • Carbine - Marlin 1894 Mag in 45 Colt
    SA Revolver - Ruger Bisley Blackhawk in 45 Colt - with 45 ACP cylinder
    CCW piece - Para Ordnance P-14 (1911 double-stack) in 45 ACP
Three guns, covering LOTS of territory/use, and only two cartridges.

...add a Rifle in a 0.452" diameter, and you have even better 'coverage'; unfortunately, unlike the '44' calibers (44 Special, 44 Magnum, and 444 Marlin), the '45' calibers differ between 'rifle' and 'pistol' diameters.

Of course, another entire 'philosophy' is that of combining such as a 22 LR handgun with a 45 Colt long gun, or vice versa. That can actually be as practical, or even moreso, than having a 'pair' in the same chambering.

Still, here's a couple of really practical same-caliber 'sets'...

'35' caliber - 35 Remington Marlin XLR(336), 357 Mag Marlin 1894css, 357 Mag Ruger Blackhawk, and 38 Special Ruger SP-101:

'44' caliber - 444 Marlin Marlin XLR(336), 44 Mag Marlin 1894ss, 44 Mag Ruger Redkawk, and 44 Special Charter Arms Bulldog:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

I'm not referring in this post specifically of a one handgun scenario for a person. I would think it foolish if not imprudent for a person to voluntarily own only one handgun.
Further, I hold no real animus for single action handguns. Lord knows I had enough to fill near a half bushel basket full over the years. Ruger old models, Super Blackhawks, Blackhawks, and Colts; .357 magnums, .44 magnums, .45 Colt and .22's. None have stayed for the long haul. If I needed trade fodder most often I ended up with one or more of the SA's on the way to the auction block. Guess the SA's just don't float my boat. Truth is there have been DA's and autoloaders that took that trip as well. As my acquisitive years are mostly behind me, I doubt I will be seeking out any more SA's; ...unless a .44 Spl Blackhawk should happen to present itself to tempt me. I doubt even that current want would become a permanent gun safe resident, once the newness wore off and several hundred rounds had been sent down range.
The SA or DA I absolutly swear I'll never own again is a .22 rimfire. Talk about a pain. Carefully load six, shoot six, empty cylinder one at a time for SA, or with DA at the stroke of the ejector rod. Then load one, turn, load another, repeat, repear, repeat, until loaded. Then stoop and try to find the few little cartridges you dropped while loading the thing. After that you have a handy six to plink with, but after those six are fired, have to start the whole slow, boring process all over again. Give me an autoloader for .22 rimfire.
For me a .357 S&W 28-2 or Ruger Security Six is just about perfect at this time in my life. One or more of those and an old school configured 1911-A1, with the addition of some high profile sights and the old Colt style ambi safety (I'm a lefty), will suit me just fine now and for however much longer I'll care about such things.
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

it is well to remember that the "chasing brass" thing was a feature, because while the pistolero was backing out the 5 cases from his SA, the 1911 guy is already dumping the second magazine. NOT having to fiddle with the brass was a HUGE tactical benefit, besides the ability to get off 15 rounds while pistolero is inserting 5 new rounds.....

that said, ALL the meat I made with a handgun was made with a SA 6-shot revolver, thanks to Bill R's hammer block safety.
AND my brer bear woods carry is a redhawk 6 shooter.

the hi-caps are the in-town walkin arounders
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

They make speed loaders for about every DA .22LR out there....

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I have a pair of 22LR single actions and no other handguns since I sold my S&W 629 couple years ago . Thought I'd miss it but not so much . So if I were to acquire a new centerfire handgun I'm not sure what I'd opt for . Most likely an older 629 4" !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

Grizz wrote:it is well to remember that the "chasing brass" thing was a feature, because while the pistolero was backing out the 5 cases from his SA, the 1911 guy is already dumping the second magazine. NOT having to fiddle with the brass was a HUGE tactical benefit, besides the ability to get off 15 rounds while pistolero is inserting 5 new rounds.....

that said, ALL the meat I made with a handgun was made with a SA 6-shot revolver, thanks to Bill R's hammer block safety.
AND my brer bear woods carry is a redhawk 6 shooter.

the hi-caps are the in-town walkin arounders
Amen, brother! Gotta love those Redhawks! They're keepers for sure.
1894c

Post by 1894c »

...living, walking and hunting in the Cascades and other remote parts of Eastern Washington my combo of choice has been my duty Glock 23 or Glock 27 (.40S&W, a modern variant of the .38-40 wcf) with a vintage Glenfield 30A in .30wcf and possibly a Marlin 336 in .35 Remington. I tried the rifle SA/DA combo, just didn't work for me (but I do appreciate the concept)...but then I like donuts, the .40S&W over the .45ACP, and the smell of OC, which can explain allot...

Been carrying the Glocks as woods gun for the last 13 years, they're tough, reliable, accurate, works...
just call me a "newly-arrived, more "progressive" type", I really like that description Buck, it's describes
perfectly my mix of levergun and Glock auto... :)
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

after some thought I'm against the idea of two guns sharing the same ammunition; that way you only have one capability when the whole idea is added versatility. And you're limited to pistol calibers for your rifle choice. You wouldn't have long distance capability at all. Small game hunting would be possible but you'd lose meat using a 44 magnum on a rabbit.

I'm in favor of a rimfire handgun for close-in, small game, and one long distance rifle that could take big game if you want it. That means a handgun in 22lr and the rifle something in like 30-06 or .308. Use the rifle for protection.

A variation would be to have a rimfire rifle for small game, and large caliber handgun for protection. This might be good for a squirrel hunter in bear country, but you give up long range big game hunting.

For hunting, why not pick a single action? They have nice triggers.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."