New Book: Metallic Cartridge Handloading

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

New Book: Metallic Cartridge Handloading

Post by CowboyTutt »

Hey Guys, Mic McPherson has a new book out called Metallic Cartridge Handloading-Pursuit of the Perfect Cartridge. This book took Mic many years to write and represents a lifetime of research, gunsmithing, gunwriting and extreme range target shooting and hunting. It is the most comprehensive thing I have ever seen on handloading. It is 425 pages long, has lots of pictures and anecdotal stories and is extremely interesting to read. The hardbound edition I have is "coffee table" grade all the way. I'm working on a more comprehensive review of the book to be published but suffice to say this book is going to become the "Holy Bible" of handloading for sure.

Please note the pictures are the property of McPherson and Safari Press and not to be reproduced elsewhere without permission. Thanks Guys. Here are the front and back cover.

The book can be ordered signed directly through Mic here:

http://levergun.com/order_forms/order_books.htm

If anyone recognizes the guy on the back cover shooting the fireball you win a cyber cupie doll.

-Tutt
Last edited by CowboyTutt on Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Re: New Book: Metallic Cartridge Reloading

Post by SteveR »

Hard to see, but Mike Venturino?

Steve
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

No, not him. Good guess though. -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I think that would be a very useful book to buy and read. I reload, and it sure helps to learn from those who have done it a lot longer than I have. Anyone who has reloaded that many times, and who still has all his fingers, has probably learned something worth knowing.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
pshort
Levergunner 3.0

Post by pshort »

Fireball guy = Cowboy Tutt ?

Paul
"Pain plants the flag of reality in the
fortress of a rebel soul"
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

pshort wrote:Fireball guy = Cowboy Tutt ?

Paul
Is that you Tutt????

Steve
PS, you don't look as big as Mike, but the picture is hard to see.

Steve
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

If one was to contact Mic, he would sign a copy for you. 1886.
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

Tutt: appreciate the heads up.

Have a question though -- Is this a How-To-Do-I book with or without load data?
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Ray, thanks for asking. There is no load data in it. There are plenty of those. This is all about the loading process in INFINITE detail covering theory and application. Its suitable from the beginner all the way to the advanced handloader. But its readable too, and has nice pictures. -Tutt

Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

Tutt: thanks for the prompt feedback. Sounds like a worthwhile addition to my library and I will pass the information on to others. again, thanks.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Paul gets the Cupie Doll!

Yeah guys, its me. Don't know what Mic was thinking. He told me he was going to use that pic INSIDE the book to demonstrate how you can be blinded by muzzle flash at night. He never said anything about being on the back cover. I just about fell over when I opened the box and saw the book.

There are some nice other pictures of Mic meeting Dick Casull too. In fact the book is LOADED with pics all the way around so you can understand what Mic is explaining. I've never seen a manual like this one.

-Tutt

CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Cute signature line Ray. :lol:
-Tutt

CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Re: New Book: Metallic Cartridge Handloading

Post by CowboyTutt »

BTT in case people missed it. -Tutt

CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

BTT again. Best handloading manual ever written! -Tutt

pshort
Levergunner 3.0

Post by pshort »

I have a copy.. Very good book.....
I'm watching my mail box for my prize !!!!
Thanks Tutt........

Paul
"Pain plants the flag of reality in the
fortress of a rebel soul"
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I always wondered what a cupie doll is....

:lol:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

FWiedner wrote:I always wondered what a cupie doll is....

:lol:
I'm glad it was not just me :D :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Tutt,
The best in depth hand loading book I ever had, and I have dozens, from Sharpe to Lyman and all in between. Buddy of mine, a Shootist, (Matt Olivier) picked it up for me at the Shootist's Holiday last summer and brought it back to Pa. for me. I put a post up on it and I think I got 5 or 6 responses. Seems like people are more interested in talking about things like "what color socks do you wear when picking up milk and bread" -----6

1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Well Sixgun, I would have to agree. There are "reloaders" and "handloaders". In my OWN interpretation of Mic's book I would say that Mic makes the distinction that "reloaders" make accurate ammo according to a recipe that fires in ANY gun, but that "handloaders" have the ability to customize the cartridge to the individual firearm. In some shooting situations, that last bit of accuracy can make a BIG difference! Thank you so much for posting your thoughts on this thread!!!

Regards,

-Tutt

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

piller wrote:Anyone who has reloaded that many times, and who still has all his fingers, has probably learned something worth knowing.
Very sound reasoning... 8)
CowboyTutt wrote:Ray, thanks for asking. There is no load data in it. There are plenty of those.
VERY true. 'Load data' is FREE, and current, from all the manufacturers, via internet, and 'user' type load data is even more available, though one must take it with [no more than] a grain of salt.

It is the DETAILS and TECHNIQUE (and even the THEORY which it arises from) that is hard to get.

I just put the book on my 'Wish List' for my next order.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Bumped to the top for the "Newbies" here. Welcome Guys! Nice to have you here! -Tutt

JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

➕1 on Wish List. Saving up, added reply to save this thread.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

CowboyTutt wrote:Bumped to the top for the "Newbies" here. Welcome Guys! Nice to have you here! -Tutt
CowboyTutt, you are such a nice guy, despite what everyone says about you. . . :o

Aside from the horrible truth that this forum has deteriorated and been polluted by ignorant posts from 'newbies' and wicked posts on 'non-levergun topics', is really IS the Best Forum on the internet. 8)
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

CowboyTutt, you are such a nice guy, despite what everyone says about you. . . :o
Well, I can be a ornery cuss too as you well know!!! LOL :lol: Trying hard to behave myself nowendays. :wink:

-Tutt

BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

I have Mic's book Accurizing the Factory Rifle. It has a ton of info. Worth every dime.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Yup! Got that one too! If you had both, and a copy of Quickload software, you could really "up your game" with a more accurate rifle made yourself, better handloads and the software to help develop your load! 8) -Tutt

JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Tut thanks for the info on the book.

Have been thinking of you and your family with all the news from Ukraine. A couple of months ago we had a missionary and his family at our church. They have been over there 10 years and were on their way back, don't know if they got back or had to stay here. How is your family through this?
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Jerry, thanks for asking. My Mom and her sister (my Aunt Lily) immigrated here when my Mom was about 9 years old. When my Mom and aunt and my grandfather and grandmother left their home in far eastern Ukraine, they were trying to survive raids by both Nazi's and Russian's for food and clothing (and rape and pillaging) by both countries. Mom was 4 or 5 when they started on their journey.

Subsequently my grandfather decided to load the family up into a covered wagon and travel west across all of Ukraine, under a tunnel in the Carpathian Mountains which was destroyed by German bombing runs shortly after they made it through the tunnel, and eventually into Germany where my Mom and aunt "grew up" for about 5 years in a German refugee camp.

My Mom and aunt have blonde hair and blue eyes, so they looked just German enough that when the air raid sirens sounded off, the local German populace protected them in shelters. But they never fed my Mom or aunt, and my Mom and her sister grew up starving in their most early formative years.

My Ukrainian Grandma grew up having to speak Russian because the Ukrainian language was banned from use in her time. She just recently died on December 26th, 2013 at one week short of being 100 years old. But my Mom and aunt spoke Ukrainian with a sort of German accent because of their situation.

I visited Ukraine for the first time in the spring of 2012. I went to Zaporizhzhya to the ancestral homeland of the Cossacks. Then I traveled south by train to Simferopol in Crimea which is the very city that has been recently taken over by Russian troops including the very airport I flew out of on my way home!!!

I don't have any immediate family in Ukraine anymore, but I do have wealthy cousins in Russia. However, we are not that close.

But that being said, I do correspond with a friend in western Ukraine in IvanoFrankivsk, and I look forward to meeting her for the first time this summer. She had this to say to me as of last week. Her letter reaffirmed for me what I so admire about the Ukrainian people. It's not just my birthright. These people have so much heart, you can't be a warm blooded conservative American and not be touched by them!!! And yeah, she's a real person, not a fraud. We video chat when we can and we have been corresponding for about a year now.
Hello Andy! wink

How is the last day of winter treating you? Are you having a good day there and ready for the relaxing weekend? I am quite fine, at least happy that it's Friday already! I can practically feel that spring is in the air! smile I already feel this warm wind on my face, I feel it playing with my hair, I can feel tender sunrays touching my skin. I am so much waiting for the spring blossom! Sometimes it seems to me that there are no trees as beautiful and in my home village! The nature there is amazing and so close to my heart. Wherever I go, whoever I am in future, this place will always stay in my heart! Do you have the same feelings about your original home? We have many cherry, apple, pear trees, lilacs and lots of flowers. I feel like I am in heaven when it all blossoms! The smell is so incredible! The beauty is beyond comparison! That's why I can't wait for this cold and long winter to be over. I know that beauty and warmth won't come in a day, but they are very close! smile What do you expect from this magical time?

I am very happy for your students and for your Bible study group! Isn't it great to enjoy a simple working day? Good for you! As for the situation here, there is so much I can say. Still, I can't choose a word to express my disgust and despair towards the actions of Russia! sad They are doing to Ukraine and Crimea exactly what they have done to Georgia and Abkhazia! The only difference is that we still can win this fight with or without the help of foreign countries. I am being very optimistic about it! I hope that God helps us with that!

Very often people don't notice simple things - smile of a child, beauty of a flower, someone's tender touch or soft look. People are rushing all the time trying to get something vague, something they consider to be important. But don't they get that life is not a rehearsal? We live only once, not yesterday, not tomorrow... we live now! Right? So, I hope you are doing your best to value each moment, each perfect second of your life. smile Yes, there are many harsh issues in our lives, there are many barriers to overcome. Still, I think they all exist for a reason! Also I think that all the best things in this world are free - nature, smile, love! All we need is to be openhearted and positive. So, I wish you to enjoy this spring! I wish you to meet it with an open heart. May spring come to you not only naturally, but also spiritually. wink Are you ready?

Sometimes I think about what we get from life and how do we use it? Do you know what I have realized? It's not about how much we receive. It's all about how well we use what we've got! write Valuing things (and people of course) is very urgent, especially nowadays when technologies seem to be people's best friends. Look at Ukrainians, for instance. During last 25 years we have survived crash of the USSR and two revolutions. We have survived awful politicians and numerous economic difficulties. But guess what? We've managed to keep a warm heart, generous soul and belief that everything will be all right. smile We managed to save this spirit of freedom and will to fight for the better future no matter what! Last events in Ukraine have taught me so much. My compatriots have shown me how much can one love own country and its people. They have literally given their lives for the better future of their families. This is what I call being extra-human! May all the heroes rest in peace! angel So, when I hear how our ex-president states that we are extremists and terrorists, I really want to punch someone in the face! Since when do people who want better life are called Nazis?

As for the chat, I will let you know as soon as I have some free time. I am not sure when will it be possible though. So, patience please))) I will do my best! All right, to end my letter in a positive way, I wish you lots and lots and lots and lots of smiles for this March! I am sure it will be extremely happy and surprising not only for Ukraine, but also for the whole world in general. I may sound like a beauty pageant contestant now, but I believe in World Peace! bouquet How about you? Do you think it's possible?

My very best wishes,

Galya
Ukrainians for the most part, are just fighting for the very privilages that we take for granted as Americans (despite the fact that Obama is willing to destroy our Constitution to further his own agenda!) The people of Ukraine deserve our support, they are fighting the very same fight our Founding Father's fought in their initial protests to "taxation withought representation" and freedom from tyranny.

The fact that Obama is so weak on the issue so far, is of complete embarrassment to me.

I appreciate you asking. I know I gave you more information that you could ever want. But I am very affected by the situation there.

Thank you so much for your consideration.

Regards,

-Tutt

JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Tut thanks, our missionary and his family gave us a good picture of the people they live with and the love of the gospel.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Wow. Powerful accounts.

I wish I could say that "we will learn from history." As I struggled to memorize that William the Conqueror invaded Normandy in 1066 (I didn't have any relatives or pen pals in Normandy and didn't really care), that is the baloney that our teachers perpetually fed us which has proven to be so patently untrue. Look where we are heading!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

How do you suppose how my picture was changed? I had a picture of the book with Mic's signature under my post and it got changed to a couple of black and tans barking up a tree. Weird----6

CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Six I have no idea. Glad you like the book so much. -Tutt

geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

Sixgun wrote:How do you suppose how my picture was changed? I had a picture of the book with Mic's signature under my post and it got changed to a couple of black and tans barking up a tree. Weird----6
I don't know either Sixgun....

You mustv'e been barking up the wrong tree when you attached the photo!!! :D :lol:

Geobro
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

geobru wrote:
Sixgun wrote:How do you suppose how my picture was changed? I had a picture of the book with Mic's signature under my post and it got changed to a couple of black and tans barking up a tree. Weird----6
I don't know either Sixgun....

You mustv'e been barking up the wrong tree when you attached the photo!!! :D :lol:

Geobro
OK Geobro, you just HAD to outdo me! Good one! :D -------6

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I'll have to get a copy now. Sixgun... I would've commented, but I never saw your thread!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!