Learn something new and a lucky escape.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
KiwiKev
Levergunner 2.0

Learn something new and a lucky escape.

Post by KiwiKev »

Weight your reloads to check that you put powder in. I was at the range, pulled the trigger on my Rossi 357 rossi, "pop" strange. The next round would not chamber. Reason because the projectile was still in the breach. Luckily we used a rod to push the projectile back out. I guess I am also lucky that the projectile was only a small way into the breach and stopped me loading another round. It would have been worrying if I managed to shoot a round with an obstruction in the barrel. I think my guardian angel was watching over me. Has this happened to anyone else?
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Learn something new and a lucky escape.

Post by Blaine »

:shock: :o I'm glad you are ok....when you hear that pop, leave it alone for a bit pointed in a safe direction.....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

That is where bulged barrels come from.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

This is a fairly common occurance, especially with cheap .22 ammo. Anyone who has shot a lot of reloads will tell you it has happened to them. If a round does not "sound right", stop right there, take a look down the bore before you try to load another round. Sometimes has disasterous consequences with folks who are running through a mag of centerfire ammo in a semiauto as fast as they can pull the trigger. Will ring the barrel in your .22 rimfire. I always take a jointed cleaning rod to the range with me in my kit, surprising how often it gets used by someone.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

This is why many of us have a "charged case" inspection step in our loading process. I don't seat a bullet in a case unless I have looked in the case under good light to see that a) I have powder in the case and b) it "looks about right" and is not a double charge nor a visually light or heavy charge that could result from "bridging" in the powder measure.

And yes, you were verrry lucky, KiwiKev. The times this has happened to me the bullet went far enough into the barrel that it would not have prevented chambering the next round. My two experiences were not from a "no powder" situation but rather from failure to set off the ball powder when using a standard small pistol primer rather than a magnum primer. Yeah, I no longer load H110 powder with anything but a magnum primer.

Congratulations on having a major learning experience without suffering any damage.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

Embarrassingly, I've had it happen to me....more than once. A couple of times it was my fault. A couple of others it wasn't. Got a batch of either primers or powder once that wasn't very reliable. A couple of other times I somehow missed getting powder into the cartridges (the embarrassing part). Thankfully I have never pulled the trigger with a stuck bullet in the barrel.

Everyone makes mistakes. We are human and it happens. However, if we are diligent with safety at every step of your loading as well as shooting, we drastically reduce the number of those mistakes, and hopefully prevent minor oversights from becoming major accidents. As said, if it doesn't go BOOM, stop what you are doing, and whatever you do, don't chamber another round and attempt to fire. Eject the spent casing, check to see if the primer is dented and if the bullet is still in the case. If the bullet is not there, check the barrel and if needed remove the obstruction. Rapid fire is where one of these is the most dangerous, IMO, such as cowboy action shooting. You might be shooting faster than you can react to the unusual sound, or lack thereof.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
KiwiKev
Levergunner 2.0

Post by KiwiKev »

This is very good advice. In my muzzleloading days a dry ball was less stressful.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I also watch the target for a new hole or dirt kicking up, sometimes I can't hear as well with double ear protection. And quite often somebody else shoots at the exact same time as me, so I hear their report (kind of fun when shooting 22lr, and someone nearby shoots a 450 Marlin at the same time).
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Always take a range rod with you to the range... They can keep you from having to quit early....
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY