Winchester 71 or Browning 71

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
FOTIS
Levergunner 2.0

Winchester 71 or Browning 71

Post by FOTIS »

Looking to get a 348 Winchester but not sure which is a a better gun.
Anyone have any experience with the new winchester 71? They introduced it 2 years ago I think. How is the browning?

Any input is surely appreciated.
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Winchester 71 or Browning 71

Post by 1886 »

Never owned a Win. 71. I have owned and handled a fair number of the B-71. Superb quality all around. 1886.
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

The new Japanchester 71 has a tang safety. For that reason only I would look for a Browning. The tang safety/rebunding hammer system has caused misfires on a number of Japanchester 1886s. I replaced the rebounding hammer with a Browning hammer and got rid of the tang safety on my '86 (replaced a bag full of small parts with two parts).

For me, on a rifle that will be used for anything with big teeth, a safety that lets the hammer drop is dangerous.

If you don't care about the rebounding hammer and tang safety, you would be happy with either, I would think.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Both the newer Winchester 71 & the somewhat older Browning 71 are made by the same company - Miroku Gun Co - to whatever specs the respective customer (then - owner, now) & their corporate lawyers put in the contract(s) - so they're the same rifles, but with different finishes and lockwork (original-type vs rebounder w/safety).

IIRC, there's a 3rd production of the Model 71, out of Italy by Chiappa/Puma, that's AFAIK made like the originals & the Miroku/Brownings.

JFE
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JFE »

Can't comment on the new production Winchesters but I have had a couple of the Brownings and they are well made and accurate. The rifle version I had was easily the most accurate levergun I have owned.
mohavesam
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mohavesam »

The Winchester catalog for 2014 shows no M71 - dropped again.

I'd look for an '86-87 Browning for the best out there. Winchester production is great for nostalgia but double-triple on the used market, and usually have damage and wear. One can find the Browning guns, especially the High-Grade fancy-pants guns, in new or near-new condition, with reasonable effort/patience.

Add a Dillon loader for sure. Buying new factory ammo is ludicrous and a waste of your money.
8)
I'm positive God created the universe... I'm just not convinced He had any choice in the matter.
-A. Einstein
Homer
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Homer »

I don't think much of the new Winchester 71's because of the rebounding hammer and tang safety. Also the quality of the original M71's, which required hand fitting and individual special attention, made them the equivalent of what we now call custom rifles. I wouldn't own a new Winchester levergun because of the safeties and lawyer added gizmos. I think Winchester should actually give it a different model number all together.

The older Browning's are very nice copies of the original Model 71. However, I don't like glossy stocks and overly shinny bluing. In addition, they made the butt plate with a little less curve than the Winchester - to name a couple things. So, given the a choice, I'd suggest going with an original Winchester Model 71. The original M71 was designed by North American hunters as a hunting rifle. And many of them were assembled by people who hunted, and appreciated a stout rifle that shoulder easily and slide into place and stayed there, throughout the cycling process. They understood that the wood needed protection from wet weather, but shouldn't reflect the sun when it came out. Small nit-picking things? Yes, but things that distinguish a well executed custom gun from the run-of-the mill department store variety. The Model 71 is more than just a gun built by a bunch of marketing experts, it was built for hunting. It was built to reliably function in all kinds of weather, handle a cartridge that, at the time, was considered big enough for anything in North America, and was made to handle like a fine shotgun - where it mounted easily without sticking on the wool jackets of the time, and point to aim without effort or shifting - because time may not allow it - and had sights one could see and acquire in all lighting. In short, it was made to stalk through deep wet brush after beasts equal or just below us in the food chain, and hit it fast and hard when reaction was the only time left on the clock. When considering the time and intent that went into the original M71's, the new Winchester simply isn't one, and the Browning, though beautiful and well made, falls short of the mark - at least my mark.

I looked for years to find an original Winchester Model 71. I could have bought a Browning a number of times, but I knew that once I did, I'd still be looking for a Model 71.
"Take everything but the fire." Long Hair in "The Cowboys"
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

Homer wrote: I looked for years to find an original Winchester Model 71. I could have bought a Browning a number of times, but I knew that once I did, I'd still be looking for a Model 71.
I also looked for an original for many years. I finally bought two the same day.

I like the Browning repros fine, and dismissed the Winchester repros because of the tang safety/rebounding hammer. From all accounts the Browning repros are just a little more accurate than the original Winchesters, but I don't have personal experience there.

There is a difference you can feel between the originals and the Brownings. Maybe after many years of use the Brownings would feel like the originals, I don't know. No one builds rifles today like they used to be built, with the exception of some of the small manufacturers building some of the single shot repros, maybe.

If I had a Browning, I would refinish the stock right off, because I want a good oil finish on a rifle I am using hard, and Model 71s are meant to be used hard.
jmiller
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jmiller »

I just got back from Turnbull Mfg. They have a long rack of guns there that include original Winchesters and the new Win/Miroku guns. You'd be hard pressed to tell the difference regarding a quality perspective. I know that most shooters would prefer to have an original Winchester in near new condition but they are very few and far between. The quality of the Win/Miroku after Turnbull gets done with them is truly amazing. I had them work on my Win/Miroku 1886 and it's as nice a gun as I've ever owned. The reason I went there today was to drop off a Win/Miroku High Wall and give it the same treatment. To buy a good, decent used original Winchester isn't cheap and to buy a Turnbull finished gun isn't either. However, it's easier to get the Turnbull gun and the price is affordable. You'll still end up with a great gun. No safety, rebounding hammer, and a beautiful color case hardened finish. Just something to think about if you're looking for something.
FOTIS
Levergunner 2.0

Post by FOTIS »

FOTIS
Levergunner 2.0

Post by FOTIS »

And this dog will hunt! Not just show!
Homer
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Homer »

Nice! Have fun.
"Take everything but the fire." Long Hair in "The Cowboys"
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

I own a 92 Miroku Winchester and like it fine. However I would not prefer it in a powerful cartridge as a hunting rifle. For hunting I would choose the Browning, same factory but pre-safety and rebounder. In my mind an early Winchester would be expensive and an accident in the bush that harmed the rifle would be a heartbreaker. Having said that if I owned one and went out after moose I would not leave it at home!

Your taste in levers is excellent. That would be a terrific cartridge/rifle combo. Worthy rifle in any game field I might roam around in!!

If scoping was an option I can't help myself but brag up the old tried and true Marlin 444 or 45/70 if you can't find one!!!!