30-30 cast bullet penetration question

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
30hrrtt
Levergunner

30-30 cast bullet penetration question

Post by 30hrrtt »

Will a cast bullet in a 30-30 penetrate a deer from any angle? What is a good heave bullet and load for this?

I would like to use my 94 for walking the hills on our deer drives but broadside shots are pretty rare. Deer are usually angling away if not straight away.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

There may be some articles on this by JimT or Paco, have a look.
Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Sorta depends on bullet Bhn, velocity at impact and what structures met in transiting deer.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
John Y Cannuck
Levergunner 1.0

Post by John Y Cannuck »

Some years ago, I had a doe running towards me, she went about 110 lbs. I got a heart shot, and took it. She continued running but dropped her tail. Certain that something had gone wrong, but equally certain of a hit, I fired a second shot, when she spotted me and swapped ends. That second shot was the so called Texas heart shot, taken at less than 25 yards, with a wheelweight bullet at about 1900 fps. It entered just below her tail, and exited her breast bone,
She dropped instantly. Gutting....WHAT A MESS!
Incidentally, I had made a perfect heart shot with the first shot, and the second shot was not needed :roll:
30hrrtt
Levergunner

Post by 30hrrtt »

What bullet were you using
gon2shoot
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gon2shoot »

Short answer.
yes.

I use 173gr. at about 1900fps using 3031
grit yer teeth an pull the trigger
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

I am a cast bullet fan and have killed lots of deer with cast bullet in 30 caliber.

To each his own... but I would never, never shoot a deer behind the diaphram on purpose with any rifle and , unless my family or myself was starving and there was no choice.

If you only shot is a rump shot, then just pass it up and wait for another day. It is called sportsmanship.

If your just simply must do it, get a very big bullet (read 45 caliber) with a large meplat.

Cast bullets make fine hunting bullets, but using them requires careful placement and a different mind set.
John Y Cannuck
Levergunner 1.0

Post by John Y Cannuck »

30hrrtt wrote:What bullet were you using
The 30-30 FP Lee gas check. I think it went about 175 grains with my mix.