If you don't have a 4x4, chains, or studded tires...UPDATED

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: If you don't have a 4x4, chains, or studded tires...UPDA

Post by Griff »

williamranks wrote:...Armstrong Norsemans...
GREAT tires! I used them on my '73 p/u until I found Dick Cepek's Fun Country's. I understand a new company has taken over the Armstrong brand name and is supposed to re-introduce the brand, tho' I can't find where tires like the Norseman will be included. Love to have a set for my dually. I'd probably use Fun Country's on my dually, but would have to run spacers between the back wheels to get the clearance needed... and the additional torque on the studs would probably cause problems I don't need!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Mescalero wrote:318
In about '73 the USAF finally updated it's rescue trucks. The ones I used were PowerWagons with the 360. 4x4, crew cabs, PTO winch, and a really good bed box design. Tough as nails, and fast. I think the winch was rated at 12,000 lbs.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I was everyone's friend that winter.
That power wagon can pull, in bad conditions.
gak
Senior Levergunner

Re: If you don't have a 4x4, chains, or studded tires.......

Post by gak »

vancelw wrote:. When I replace the back two tires It will be the second set of tires purchased since the truck was new and it'll have 110k on it by then. I bet the new Toyos don't last like the first set did.
Not if the accountants have anything to say about it :/

I drove a '65 Corvair for years and with that rear weight bias over the drive wheels was great in the snow. Hard ice or slick ultra hard pack (the kind it's hard to even stand on) the steering/direction control could get a little dicey with not much weight over the steering wheels, so a few bags of sand would go in the front trunk for the duration and that cured it right up. I had a 61 Buick Special wagon with the little aluminum V8 in my college years. With the lightweight motor in the front and wagon body/glass out back it was quite the balanced car. With a good set of snows it acquitted itself quite well in the white stuff. Nothing like the Vair though!

One of the problems with FWD (front drive) not often thought of is weight transfer. If you have too much in the trunk and/or full passenger load especially with luggage, this can result in an unloading, balance wise, OFF the front (drive...and by the way also steering) wheels, exaccerbated by a lightweight (normally a good thing) four-banger not providing much counter ballast under dicey conditions and certain maneuvers, braking etc (as we all know, to be avoided in the slick stuff to begin with), leading to additional unloading. All this doesnt make FWD a bad choice, generally--it's not for nothing they're a popular choice in the snow belt as a good year 'rounder--but that much more important to have those good tires especially with decent ice rating. That and always be aware of your weight distribution, not that you can always do anything about, but helps to know your particular vehicle's dynamics when the going gets dicey.