Want to install a Saddle Ring on my new Henry .22 mag

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JASPERADO
Levergunner

Want to install a Saddle Ring on my new Henry .22 mag

Post by JASPERADO »

Hey everyone from So. Fl. Hope all is well. I would like to install a Saddle Ring/stud to my brand new/purchased 2day, Henry model H001M. That's the .22 Magnum. Saw a posting on, I believe it was this site, where someone ordered and installed a saddle ring and stud for a post 64 Winchester 94, from winchesterbob.com/model94. Apparently it just screws into where one of the cover screws is located. Would like to think it is that easy, but as we all know, nothing in life is "Bolt On!" That phrase comes from when I used to build custom cars and aftermarket parts used to say, "It's Bolt On"! So, is it really that simple, for once? I also ordered Henry's Large Loop Lever, and their Spee-d Loader. That thing looks really cool. The one Saddle Ring/stud, from Numrich/Brownells is not available, unless someone knows otherwise. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Please contact me via my email, cyberjayone@gmail.com. Thanks again, Sincerely, JASPERADO
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Want to install a Saddle Ring on my new Henry .22 mag

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Welcome! Someone will be along that can answer your question shortly.
JASPERADO
Levergunner

Post by JASPERADO »

Thank You
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

JASPERADO,

That would be member "Pete44ru". Here is one of his posts:

http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... 1&p=652414

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

...and here is what a "saddle ring" is intended for:

http://www.castbullet.com/srsling.htm

Originally called a "sling ring", or a "carbine ring", the saddle ring is intended to keep a horse soldier's rifle with him, at all times:

http://www.1stvacav.com/equipment.html

"The carbine sling is a wide leather belt which goes over the shoulder and across the body. A large spring-loaded snap link is attached to a roller which slides smoothly along the sling, allowing the trooper to fire his weapon with sling attached. When not in use, the carbine can hang at the side. When mounted, the carbine barrel was normally secured into a small "barrel boot" attached to the side of the saddle which kept it from swinging around. Use of the barrel boot has been discontinued.. see below.

When dismounting, the carbine can be slung over the shoulder to clear the saddle.
"

The Muzzle of the rifle was held in a "carbine socket":

http://reunion.omnica.com/Leather.htm

...or, "Carbine Barrel Boot ":

"This is the small barrel boot mentioned above, which straps on to your saddle near the stirrup. It's original purpose was to keep the carbine from swinging around and beating against the rider's leg or the mount.

Important Notice: Use of the barrel boot has been discontinued and is no longer approved by the 1st Virginia Cavalry for safety reasons. A rider thrown from his mount with the carbine sling around his body and the carbine firmly in the boot can be dragged and potentially injured or even killed. You may still want a boot for authenticity, but do not use it while mounted with the carbine attached to the carbine sling around your body.
"

I like the one saddle ring that I have, just for the sake of having it. :D

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

I just put one on my henry last week. Mine was an new/old stock for a post 64 winchester 94. It must be for the post 64 because of the thread and stud size. I bought off of ebay for $28.00 shipped. It screwed right in, no problems. :D add a piece of holster thong leather and instant cool factor.
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Yep - Anyone who can handle a screwdriver ought to be able to add a POST-64 Winchester ring/stud to a Henry in less than 5 mins.

As stated above, a pre-64 saddle ring stud has a different thread size, and will only work via D/T'ing the receiver cover for it.

(Tks for the referral, Shawn ! :) )

FWIW, I also installed a minimal-peep sight on my H001 Henry (before I added the saddle ring) - a w&e-adjustable Williams WM-96 Peep, which zeroed using the issue front sight (with a drop of orange sight paint).

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Welcome aboard! :D
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Lest anyone say they are a silly decorative frill (like one of my friends told me), I found putting one on my primary > 'Chore Rifles' I use around our little farm to be very practical when combined with a single-point sling.

Here's another option for guns with a Weaver or picatinny scope rail. Image
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?p ... ber=459295

Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

The Post 64 ring is also a good add on to Rossi 92s not already so equipped. I added one years ago to an early LSI, instant improvement! Forget whether had to d&t a hole though--probably. Either way, located it such that no one but "92-folk" would know it wasn't factory. The gun already b---------d by the fukakata safety, I wasn't concerned it wasn't the proper 92-specific "staple" type which is a little more involved in installation. Pre 64 (Pre War) 94 works as well, but the later one keeps the ring off the receiver, so while I was at it I didn't mind the "improvement" either--what the heck! Other than the LSI, all my Rossi carbines are factory equipped saddle rings. I just like 'em -- the history factor as 90%+ Wins were originally so equipped. If the clacking or wear bothers, I tie that latigo strip on. Voila.
jazman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jazman »

[quote="Hagler"]...and here is what a "saddle ring" is intended for:

Originally called a "sling ring", or a "carbine ring", the saddle ring is intended to keep a horse soldier's rifle with him, at all times:

"The carbine sling is a wide leather belt which goes over the shoulder and across the body. A large spring-loaded snap link is attached to a roller which slides smoothly along the sling, allowing the trooper to fire his weapon with sling attached. When not in use, the carbine can hang at the side. When mounted, the carbine barrel was normally secured into a small "barrel boot" attached to the side of the saddle which kept it from swinging around. Use of the barrel boot has been discontinued.. see below.

Nice to see Junior again, I miss his posts on here.
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly"
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 1894 »

jazman wrote:
Hagler wrote:...and here is what a "saddle ring" is intended for:

Nice to see Junior again, I miss his posts on here.

+1
Phil