Strange markings on an 1873

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
shiloh505
Levergunner

Strange markings on an 1873

Post by shiloh505 »

Gentleman,
Once again I could use your advice. I'm looking at an 1873 .32 WCF barreled receiver with no internals. The top of the barrel is marked with a stamped pyramid. Then 32 WCF but following that is a stamped circle with VP in it then a second stamped circle with an I in it. There is also a stamped circle with the Winchester P in it and another circle with WP in it. I'm not familiar with all of these markings. Can any of you identify them? The seller wants $350 and I'd like to know if you think that price is to high. I'm thinking it would cost me another $1400 to $1500 to finish it into a working rifle or am I way off. The receiver is rusty, the seller says the barrel has good rifling and there are no sights or side plates. The seller also says there isn't a serial number on the lower tang and he can't find one anywhere on the gun. Sorry but I can't seem to be able to upload pictures.
Thanks again for all your advice. I'm trying to post two pictures but I don't know if it will work.

If some one will accept an email from me that knows how to post pics I can send you a couple of the markings. Thanks

[img]http://i800.photobucket.com/albums/yy29 ... a0.jpg[img]

[img]http://i800.photobucket.com/albums/yy29 ... a2.jpg[img]
Last edited by shiloh505 on Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Strange markings on an 1873

Post by jdad »

Circle "P" denotes a mail order replacement barrel that a gunsmith put on. If it had the Oval "WP" proof mark it would have been a factory replaced barrel.

"VP" = Verified Proof IIRC :?:

You can buy a fairly nice "original" 1873, for $1500-$1800.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Re: Strange markings on an 1873

Post by Gobblerforge »

I think the VP, violent proof, is the first high pressure test before finishing the barrel. The circle P is a barrel that was prepared to be sent to an outside source for fitting. A WP in the circle was a stamp only used in the factory for final inspection. The combination of circle P and circle WP indicates either one of two scenarios. 1st, is that the gun was rebarreled outside the factory and then sent back to the factory for work and it was final inspected. Or 2nd, and more likely, the gun was rebarreled at the factory and a premade, pre inspected barrel was used.
Gobbler
Click Click Boom