Turnbull Restorations

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Turnbull Restorations

Post by .45colt »

The thread about the Parker Trogan got Me to looking around and I thought You Guys might enjoy this. :) . http://turnbullmfg.com/store.asp?pid=37681
MacEntyre
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Turnbull Restorations

Post by MacEntyre »

Wow! What craftsmanship!

I'm glad I left my Marlin unrestored... they would have emptied my pocketbook!

- MacEntyre
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

MacEntyre wrote:I'm glad I left my Marlin unrestored... they would have emptied my pocketbook!
You can bet on it. I had some work done by them on a rifle many years ago and I would bet the same would cost me twice what I paid back then. Still though, top notch work.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
jmiller
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jmiller »

I've had Turnbull do two rifles since last August. The latest one is a Winchester/Miroku 1885 High Wall. All I can say is that their work is outstanding. A visit to their showroom will have you drooling. Some of their best workmanship is on display and it is really, really nice. I picked up the High Wall a couple of weeks ago and got a surprise. Due to old eyes, I had a scope mounted on this gun (I see two front sights without the scope...eyes just don't work the way they used to). I took the receiver mounted Leupold mount and ring off when I dropped off the gun since I knew they'd have to in order to case color the receiver and lever and I didn't want it misplaced. When I went in to pick up the gun the gentleman at the desk asked if I had the other mount and ring. I said I did. He asked if I could leave it with them. I asked why they needed the base and ring. He said that the gunsmith working on my gun had case colored the base and ring that was mounted on the barrel. He thought it would look a little nicer. He said he'd color the one I had in the case and mail it to me. He then went in back to get my gun. Ever see a case colored base and ring? Boy, am I ever glad he did it without asking. It's awesome! I probably did something with this gun most others wouldn't have done to begin with. I bought the gun new from a dealer who was advertising them for sale below his cost. I got a really good deal on the gun and wanted it for informal target shooting and hunting. It's a 125th Anniversary model which means it has a high gloss barrel with gold lettering on it and a pretty decent piece of wood on it. I didn't care about that, I just wanted a gun to shoot and hunt with. Anyway, it came out pretty nice but it's no longer a collector item (I never believe it was to begin with). Check out the ring and base on this gun. I'm waiting for the other ring and base to arrive now. If you ever get the urge to get something like this done, they are top notch.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

jmiller wrote:Anyway, it came out pretty nice but it's no longer a collector item . . .
Depends on who is collecting . . .
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

jmiller wrote:I've had Turnbull do two rifles since last August.
What kind of turn-around time does Turnbull run these days?
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
jmiller
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jmiller »

Rimfire McNutjob wrote:
jmiller wrote:I've had Turnbull do two rifles since last August.
What kind of turn-around time does Turnbull run these days?
It actually depends on the time of the year. When everyone starts getting their income tax returns it can be up to three months. I took the Win 1886 in last August and they called me two weeks later and said it was done. I took the High Wall in and they said about a month and called me in one week and said it was done. It just seems to me that they err on the long side so everyone doesn't get all antsy wondering why their gun isn't done yet. Considering that some custom work takes up to a year, I think they have great turn around time. Even a month isn't very long. In fact, it's quite quick.
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

jmiller, that looks GREAT :D :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Is there a post with pics of your 1886 in it after the Turnbull treatment? I tried a search but came up empty.
jmiller
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jmiller »

I don't remember if I posted it or not. Here's a pic
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

You've got more defined blues than I have ... on both of your guns. I have a wider color variation on my receiver in contrast. I believe some of my yellow tinge comes from a shellac coat over the color case.

I've not shot it in a while. I need to load up some 450 Alaskan and get back out there. I'd shoot some .348 but I only have factory stuff lying around and those are worth too much to shoot ... sadly.

This angle shows the engraving better. Turnbull eliminated the screws on the left side of my receiver as well which helped make for the large unbroken area for the engraving.

The variation on my grip cap and buttplate match the receiver ... thankfully. I like the timed screws as well.

jmiller
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jmiller »

Rimfire, that gun is absolutely gorgeous! I think the difference in the coloring has something to do with the process they use. They use bone charcoal and I know they've tried different types over the years and have gotten different results. To be honest, I like them with a little less blue myself. Looking at what he has in the showroom, the newer stuff seems to have more blue like mine and the earlier (I don't mean old, I just mean a few years ago) guns have less blue. I've noticed this on other Turnbull guns I've seen. I'd have been very happy which ever way it came out though. I haven't seen a Turnbull gun yet that I didn't want to own. My next acquisition may be one of their lever guns with a pistol grip stock and some checkering. These things just kind of grow on you after a while. My other ring and base for my 1885 came in today and I'm going to get them on tonight. They just do a great job.
jmiller
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jmiller »

Here it is with both rings and the scope back on it. Not sure if the rings are too much or not. I can always replace them with factory ones (blued) if I decide it's too much contrast with the gloss finish.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Both of those rifles are very nice :)
----- Doug
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

I'm not normally a case coloring fan, but those are some pretty guns.
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

I like the rings and bases Joe. It looks like two two tubes of blued steel separated by these case colored pillars.
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Those rings and bases look great to me :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

I have had them do 3 rifles for me.
1) convert a new Marlin 1895 Cowboy from 45/70 to 50 Alaskan with new heavy barrel, recoil pad and drill and tap and add a Williams peep.
2) Bought one of the 1892 Deluxe takedowns with 24 inch octagon in 44-40. Shoot it in CAS on occasion with holy black.
3) Bought an 1886 custom with shotgun butt and 32 inch octagon barrel chambered in 50-110 Winchester. Will use this one in CAS long range rifle events and the 'shootem if ya got' em days at the local club'

photos
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm16 ... 2bf6d5.jpg
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm16 ... 0dfbc5.jpg
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm16 ... be01b9.jpg
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm16 ... 0007-2.jpg
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm16 ... 0011-1.jpg
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm16 ... 0ak001.jpg
big bear
Levergunner 2.0

head swimmimg, too nice, too expensive??

Post by big bear »

Rimfire McNutjob wrote:You've got more defined blues than I have ... on both of your guns. I have a wider color variation on my receiver in contrast. I believe some of my yellow tinge comes from a shellac coat over the color case.

I've not shot it in a while. I need to load up some 450 Alaskan and get back out there. I'd shoot some .348 but I only have factory stuff lying around and those are worth too much to shoot ... sadly.

This angle shows the engraving better. Turnbull eliminated the screws on the left side of my receiver as well which helped make for the large unbroken area for the engraving.

The variation on my grip cap and buttplate match the receiver ... thankfully. I like the timed screws as well.

Your comment about factory 348 ammo being too expensive to shoot.... Your beautiful rifle seems too nice and too expensive to shoot. I reload for my Win71s but I have factory ammo, what am I saving it for??I have a High Grade Browning 71 and a Deluxe Win71, unfired, what am I saving them for??? If I was in my 20's I could see it, but alas when I was in my 20's I didn't have the means to have this problem..... just musing. Beautiful rifle though.
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Re: head swimmimg, too nice, too expensive??

big bear wrote: Your comment about factory 348 ammo being too expensive to shoot.... Your beautiful rifle seems too nice and too expensive to shoot. I reload for my Win71s but I have factory ammo, what am I saving it for??I have a High Grade Browning 71 and a Deluxe Win71, unfired, what am I saving them for??? If I was in my 20's I could see it, but alas when I was in my 20's I didn't have the means to have this problem..... just musing. Beautiful rifle though.
I've got a .348 barrel for it but I also have another Win standard and a Browning high grade that I pull out to shoot .348 when I get the itch. I've got a few cases of factory but I want to load some myself the next time I shoot those. I mostly load up .450 Alaskan for the barrel that's on the Turnbull gun. I'm out of the Speer bullets for the general shoot around loads. I only have the Swift A-frames for the hunting loads on hand currently. Both are over 3031.

It might look nice, but it still goes to the range now and then. I have learned not to shoot it from the bench though with the .450 Alaskan. I benched it when I worked up the hunting load but I'm over that. I want to keep the cartilage I have left.