OT:Cleaning up dads old bolt gun

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
draperjojo
Levergunner 2.0

OT:Cleaning up dads old bolt gun

Post by draperjojo »

Back in the early 40's my dad bought a Model of 1917 Remington from the NRA for $8. The gun was manufactured in 1918. He sporterized it and then left it at home in W Va when he went into the Naval Academy. His brother hung on to that gun and mounted up a Redfield 4X scope on it and used it to take deer and elk in Colorado and Idaho. A couple years ago he sent it to me along with a Model 37 break barrel that belonged to dad.

I decided it was time the ole rifle got some TLC. I Murphy Oil Soaped the stock and cleaned it up. I ground a new recoil Pad (that looked identical to the old one that had dry rotted) and installed it. I steamed a couple small dings out of the Superior brand stock with an iron and a damp rag, then went over it with Truoil and stock sheen. I fiberglass bedded the receiver and floated the barrel. I reblued the metal except for the shiny part of the bolt.The original trigger was inconsistent, so I installed a Timney trigger set at 2-1/2 lbs...and man is it a crisp break!! I installed a .020" shim under the rear scope mount to steal a little adjustment and then I loc-tited down the scope mounts, and I took off the Redfield 4X scope and remounted a 3 X 9 with turrets for the 180 grain 30-06 cartridges. I dropped my laser down the barrel and bore sighted it. Now I'm gonna look for something to clean up the original strap...maybe dark brown shoe polish...It cleaned up pretty nice! Maybe I'll clean up that old 12 gauge break barrel model 37 next, it could use a little TLC too.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT:Cleaning up dads old bolt gun

Post by FWiedner »

That's a fine looking old rifle.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Nice Job . It's a Great looking rifle now.
Pop Watts
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pop Watts »

I love that rifle and the history that goes with it.
Unfortunately I did not get any of my Fathers or Grandfathers firearms.
You are a lucky man to have that old rifle and I am happy to see you treating it with the love and respect it deserves.
I love your work.
Pop.
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

.45colt wrote:Nice Job . It's a Great looking rifle now.
What he said :D :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

I am sure your Dad would be very proud. Great job on an admirable endeavor.
Centennial
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Centennial »

That is wonderful. I'll bet it shoots good too.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

1st clean the strap with a good Neatfoot's Oil. Available thruWal-Mart or at Tractor Supply. Get the crud out of the leather before you seal it in with a wax...
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

In '78 I paid $50 for a very badly sporterized 1917 with a 2 groove barrel. It shot cast boolits as well as any rifle I have had since. I really miss it. Hope you get it to the range soon. 3leg
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

A beautiful rifle with a great history, can it get any better?
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
draperjojo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by draperjojo »

Griff wrote:1st clean the strap with a good Neatfoot's Oil.

Thank you! I did and it looks much better, now to get to the range and test it out. :-D
draperjojo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by draperjojo »

So I took dad's 96 year old 30-06 out to the range to see how bad the barrel was shot out, and I was able to sight in to the bulls eye at 100 yards with 4 bullets. SWEET! But after that, the next couple of shots weren't even on paper?????? I looked down at the rear scope mount and the 6-48 threads are stripped out and the back of the scope is floating around from the recoil of a couple of bullets.....aaagh!.

I dropped it off to a local gunsmith who had it for 2 weeks and said he could repair it, but apparently decided he couldn't. So I ordered in an 8-40 bottom tap, 8-40 screws, and the correct size drill bit and rethreaded the holes. This time I mounted up a 4.5-14 Nikon Buckmaster.....Professionals tend to disappoint me sometimes.....give me a craftsman any day over a "professional".....rant over....

So this morning I took 5 different bullets and headed to the range. The old 30-06 didn't like factory 150gr, 165gr, 180gr, handloaded 185gr Bergers, but did like the 210gr Berger handloads.....I wasn't expecting that.... I will zero the scope on Bullseye next trip to the range. I should have built more of the 210gr cartridges otherwise I would have done it this trip... When you can put 3 bullets into a spot slightly bigger than a quarter at 100 yards using a gun built in 1918, that's pretty good. Almost finished.....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

draperjojo wrote:So I took dad's 96 year old 30-06 out to the range to see how bad the barrel was shot out, and I was able to sight in to the bulls eye at 100 yards with 4 bullets. SWEET! But after that, the next couple of shots weren't even on paper?????? I looked down at the rear scope mount and the 6-48 threads are stripped out and the back of the scope is floating around from the recoil of a couple of bullets.....aaagh!.

I dropped it off to a local gunsmith who had it for 2 weeks and said he could repair it, but apparently decided he couldn't. So I ordered in an 8-40 bottom tap, 8-40 screws, and the correct size drill bit and rethreaded the holes. This time I mounted up a 4.5-14 Nikon Buckmaster.....Professionals tend to disappoint me sometimes.....give me a craftsman any day over a "professional".....rant over....

So this morning I took 5 different bullets and headed to the range. The old 30-06 didn't like factory 150gr, 165gr, 180gr, handloaded 185gr Bergers, but did like the 210gr Berger handloads.....I wasn't expecting that.... I will zero the scope on Bullseye next trip to the range. I should have built more of the 210gr cartridges otherwise I would have done it this trip... When you can put 3 bullets into a spot slightly bigger than a quarter at 100 yards using a gun built in 1918, that's pretty good. Almost finished.....
I have basicly the same gun that was my fathers, the high BC bullets don't seem to stabilize. I went with nosler partion and sierra game king 150gr bullets, which have a longer body and they worked very well.
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Borregos wrote:
.45colt wrote:Nice Job . It's a Great looking rifle now.
What he said :D :D
what they said

thanks for the memories
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by walks with gun »

way to go.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I also have my Dad's 1917, it was his deer rifle for years but he never got a deer with it. He died in January 2001 and in December 2001 I took my usual rifle out the first day. NOTHIN not a daggone thing, took Dad's the second day and about half an hour into the hunt the biggest doe I have ever shot stopped at 20-30 yards broadside and just stood there. I was crying like a baby the whole time I was dressing her out. I haven't taken her hunting after that. Good job on your rifle and if you get a chance to shoot something with it you will know you are not alone that day. Bye the Bye my Dad stocked up on the Winchester silvertip 180s for this gun and it loves them, still have 5 or 6 boxes for his grandkids to use. Tom
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.