who has already smiplified their life?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
MacEntyre
Levergunner 3.0

who has already smiplified their life?

Post by MacEntyre »

I mean, by reducing their gun holdings to the minimum...

I wonder if I could do with only a semi-auto pistol, revolver, hunting levergun, shotgun, .22 rifle and .22 pistol.
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Re: who has already smiplified their life?

Post by Borregos »

Mine seems to get more complicated however hard I try to simplify it :D :D :D
I'm not sure there is a minimum :D :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

I did that for a long time , you can't make me go back ! :D

Before I was thirty all I had was my Win 94 , double barrel 12 ga and Ruger 10/22. I did all my hunting with those and that was every weekend in the fall, duck ,geese, squirrel,rabbit,deer. When I moved out of the city to rural area , where I could shoot out my back door. That is when the guns started accumulating. Then I started reloading and got even more guns. If I have to I could sell them all except the first ones I listed. But I am not there yet.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

With me its very simple........however many I have, that's the minimum. :lol:

Seriously though, I should probably thin them out but I can never decide what should go. There are only a few I use to any degree but sometimes I try something "new" and I'm glad I have it.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I have thought about trying simplifying but it's too complicated.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Les Staley »

I was pretty proud of myself last Sun. At the Potlatch Idaho gun show... Sold five rifles... Till I counted what I'd bought....six!!! Guess I'm my own worst enemy.. Still in "rotating my stock" mode.
This is plagiarized from someone else, but I love it!

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I didn't become one later in life.
I was born this way.
PaperPatch
Levergunner 3.0

Post by PaperPatch »

Lastmohecken wrote:I have thought about trying simplifying but it's too complicated.
Exactly!!!
:wink:
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I sure have - starting a few years before I retired, selling off many (many) premium firearms I had accummulated.

I put the profits to good use by the time I retired, paying off our home mortgage, all my (and my wife's) credit cards, both vehicle loans, and more - which allowed me to retire early (@ 62) debt-free, except for annual real estate taxes & monthly utility bills.

Nowadays, as I age, I find myself less active, being able to do with MUCH fewer firearms of various catagories.

I guess I took Clint @ his word(s): "A man HAS to come to terms with his limitations"............... :mrgreen:

Every once in a while, though - I sometimes run across a firearm that I JUST gotta have. ;)

After all, it IS a sickness.... (sigh) :roll: .

jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

"He who dies with the most toys wins". Reduce you firearms inventory and you loose. In other words, let your heirs worry about it.
Last edited by jeepnik on Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I have no hiers, been a problem for a while now; trying to come up with a reasonable solution for what to do with them when I go.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Two times I've thinned mine out by about half. A few I truly missed, most not. Now, as I have a little spare cash and see something I really like, I may buy it. As money is scarce, I sell a few things, and nice as they may be, I generally don't miss them too much. I havent had to, nor desire to minimize to an extreme degree so far.

Mescalero, One thing that I came up with, I knew an older guy with no heirs that had some truly nice guns. I thought of offering him a fair price to buy, but let him keep and enjoy them for the time being, then have clear paperwork on ownership when he passed. He ended up in a nursing home and passed before I approached him with the idea. Nobody that knew him had any idea what happened to his guns. I wouldn't try that with just anyone, but I felt OK that it would work out with this guy.
Last edited by Malamute on Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I have a Ruger MK1 I inherited, I want to put a 10" barrel on it and scope it.
I have those two Rossi .32 longs in build.
All the while trying to dream up ways to divest myself of guns responsibly.
I think we truly are afflicted.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

That is EXACTLY the type of thing I am trying to avoid.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Oh, he77 yes. I have just listed 2 more. If I didn't still shoot silhouette I would be down to fewer.

They are just "things" and I would rather sell them than use savings or retirement, to "help" fund my son's college education. I have never had any regrets when getting rid of one.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

My life is about as "simple" as $200/wk Net income will allow...

Got 2 more "trade guns" to sell though...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I have reduced to pretty close to minimum. I have a .20 cal pellet rifle, .22lr in a semi auto and a straight pull bolt rifle as well as a small pocket revolver. I have a 38 +p 640 ccw. I have a custom .44 woods walking gun. One lever gun in 45-70. One pump in 35 Rem. Two flintlocks, .54 and 16 bore smoothbore. One sharps in .54 percussion. Eventually I see me going to the pellet rifle, the straight pull 22lr, one center fire rifle, and the smooth bore flintlock. Probably a CCW and the woods walking gun and the NAA 22 will stay also.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

When faced with this dilemma it comes down to my motivation. For lack of a better word shooting is a hobby. When younger I was a focused hunter. As my income improved I started expanding my shooting hobby. However I found my hunting interests had me out as much as possible and carrying the same guns over and over. In my case a 444 Marlin and a 10-22. I always had a couple more but with limited attachment. In time my gun ownership shrunk because of this natural simplification described above.

Now it is the shooting and guns themselves that interests me. Now I find myself being pulled to collecting or maybe hoarding. My simplification is to not acquire guns that would be duplicated in my safe. It keeps my hobby within my means.
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

Guns? What guns?

I have become so upset with this needless and ever increasing gun violence, that I sold them all to the local scrap metal dealer. For those who are starting to feel the same, drop me PM and I'll send you my mailing address for you to ship your tools of violence to me for the proper and safe disposal. Put your mind at ease. Make our communities safer. Even if it saves only one life it is worth it. And most importantly:" Do it for the children" :lol:
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I get up in the morning and go to bed at night....SIMPLE! Everything else just is frosting on the cake. :wink:
MacEntyre
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MacEntyre »

I always liked the saying, "Beware the man who only owns one gun." I own only one bow... it's a long bow with wooden arrows that I shoot instinctively. I shoot it pretty well... perhaps that is why I don't care for another.

I will trade or sell firearms, but there are several that are my go-to weapons, never to be sold.

Like Colts... Once I sold a Colt, but I won't do it again. I don't sell Colts. ;)
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Simple people should live simple lives.

If a rubber-band pulled taught on your index finger serves your needs, more power to ya.

Me, I need hardware.

... and lots of it.

:wink:

:lol:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

I often contemplating just using frontstuffer smoothbores and keeping the winnie94 in 357....maybe an airgun.

The 9422 can go and a few suppository shotguns....my life has changed somewhat and it is getting less important to shoot something but I do like a good walk....with a gun!

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Mescalero wrote:I have no hiers, been a problem for a while now; trying to come up with a reasonable solution for what to do with them when I go.
I'll send you my address.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

[quote="MacEntyre"]I always liked the saying, "Beware the man who only owns one gun." I own only one bow... it's a long bow with wooden arrows that I shoot instinctively. I shoot it pretty well... perhaps that is why I don't care for another.

I like my two bows, a longbow and a recurve. Wooden hours, all instinctive. For years I didn't own a gun to hunt with, just a bow, then I got a flintlock. Could have stopped there.

Good on ya!
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

What are you going to do with two S&W 1917's?
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

After much thought and aggravation over this ammo situation, I decided to shift the main battery to 30-06 and 38/357 Mag.

I’ve got a Colt Lawman, an Armas de Garzantidas 38 a friend gave me, a new 16” Rossi 92 and Peggi just bought herself a new S&W 637. Other 38’s and 357’s will doubtless follow. I have ample brass, it reloads cheap (in fact cheaper than scalpers are asking for 500 rounds of 22LR!) and it stretches the lead if you cast for it. It is powerful enough for what I’ll need to do.

Still got a 1911, Glock 23 an LCP and a good 11-87 Remington. The old 54 Hawken and Revelation-branded Winchester 190 .22 S-L-LR auto remain. The right 22 pistol or two will be welcome as well; but I've decided at this stage of my life, I want guns I will use more than a couple of times a year.
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Oh... I thought maybe you meant something like, "trusting in the Lord, and stockin' up on ammo." Yep, I'm there... minimizin' gun inventory...? Not so much. :twisted: :lol: :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

NOPE....
aint gonna happen....

all the other unnecessary stuff and activities will go first!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

I dunno... having one in every caliber makes getting ammo really simple. No matter what it is, it's the right caliber. :D
Slow is just slow.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

cas wrote:I dunno... having one in every caliber makes getting ammo really simple. No matter what it is, it's the right caliber. :D
In this line of thought, it makes me scratch my head when people have gotten rid of guns "because of the ammo situation" (no offence to anyone in particular, I've seen it mentioned several places). Narrow down your caliber use, and potentially make it harder to get ammo or components. Who knows what the next shortage may entail. Totally changing your use or holdings because of a temporary situation doesn't make sense to me. If one loads their own, whats on the shelf hardly matters either. 348 hasn't ever been all that common on the shelf, but if I had to severely narrow down for some reason (and I haven't heard the realistic reason yet), it would be one I'd want simply because it covers so much useful ground for me. As a side note, most of the 348 bullets I have came from gun shows for less than retail.

The current shortage hasn't affected me much in any event though (haven't been shooting that much), I'd like to be able to keep up with replacing my use. If it all suddenly stopped completely, I'd be fine for years for hunting and some practice, just more conservative with practice and fun shooting.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
MacEntyre
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MacEntyre »

Malamute wrote:... it makes me scratch my head when people have gotten rid of guns "because of the ammo situation"
You are correct. Simplifying shouldn't be about the ammo situation... especially, as you say, if one reloads.

One of the biggest incentives for me to simplify is because of reloading. Instead of reloading 380, 9mm, 10mm, 45auto, 45Colt, 32 (S&W/H&R/7FedMag), 32-20, 30-30, 308 and 30-06, as I do now, I would end up with even more reloaded ammo for the guns I shoot, if I get rid of a few calibers.

In the case of 380, 9 and 45auto, I have all I need for the rest of my life. It's the rest that I need to cull.
wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Post by wolfdog »

Malamute wrote: The current shortage hasn't affected me much in any event though (haven't been shooting that much), I'd like to be able to keep up with replacing my use. If it all suddenly stopped completely, I'd be fine for years for hunting and some practice, just more conservative with practice and fun shooting.
+1 I have enough to last tell the end of my days for survival, just like to replace it as I use it for fun.
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

jeepnik wrote:"He who dies with the most toys wins". Reduce you firearms inventory and you loose. In other words, let your heirs worry about it.
+2
It is not the critic who counts
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Mescalero wrote:What are you going to do with two S&W 1917's?
Everyone needs a spare :mrgreen:
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Right answer :lol:
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Simplify by selling guns? What are you, a little nuts? Guns are better than money in the bank. If you want to simplify, get rid of your wife. ---6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

:shock: :lol:
Holy Carp!
Vodka and 7-up all over the keyboard!!!!!!!!!!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

MacEntyre wrote:I mean, by reducing their gun holdings to the minimum...
Blasphemy!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

I figure everything I acquire now is just one more item that my kids or grandkids will not have to acquire later - if they can - and/or if it is affordable at all.
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Sixgun wrote:Simplify by selling guns? What are you, a little nuts? Guns are better than money in the bank. If you want to simplify, get rid of your wife. ---6
My, my!!
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

"Simplify by selling guns? What are you, a little nuts? Guns are better than money in the bank. If you want to simplify, get rid of your wife."
--Six Gun

That would work, as long you are prepared to give her half of just about everything you own, etc.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
Indigo22
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Indigo22 »

I have thinned out my collection way too many times. Mostly this has occurred when my family has needed extra funding. Foolishly I traded off or sold some real treasures. Now with the kids grown and out of the house I have started yet again with a modest collection. I have a lot of gaps compared to what I've had in the past, but I'm being selective with the knowledge of what guns I had really used and enjoyed. I currently have two much older than me 22 rimfire rifles and my CCW pistol in .380.
Things I'd like to get are a pair of woods guns, a centerfire revolver and a lever gun in preferably the same caliber but not a must. I'd like to find a good 22lr bolt pistol. Also I would like to acquire a 1911 in 45acp or 38super. Beyond that there is very little I'd want let alone truthfully need.
John

No matter what he does, every person on earth plays a central role in the history of the world. And normally he doesn't know it.

Paulo Coelho
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Not me; I still got 3 calibers I dont have reloading dies for :o Or bullet molds for that matter either. :cry:
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Senior Levergunner

Post by 2571 »

I tried to thin the heard by bartering guns away for other stuff - I got a riding powermower and a generator. That didn't work too well. Neither party felt they got a good deal. The stuff I got was used & broke down soon.

I have no heirs that want guns. I told my wife to sell them all for their scrap metal value.
92&94
Senior Levergunner

Post by 92&94 »

Sixgun wrote:Simplify by selling guns? What are you, a little nuts? Guns are better than money in the bank. If you want to simplify, get rid of your wife. ---6
Well, my guns don't know that my wife exists....... why should she know about my guns? :lol:

I've solved the heirs problem by not having any particularly valuable guns. I like all of them, but they are all shooters and not at all rare or unusual. Should my nephew or whoever decide to turn them all in at a buyback, no collectors items will head to the smelter.

My dad had a couple valuable ones, but I suggested he cash those in and use the money on shooters that he liked. By the time I inherited his collection, he had done that. Since neither of us had the collector mentality, that worked great. One of those I did regret slightly, but I remember that the guy who has it now is a collector - every time I would take it out and look at it I would wonder "what's the point? I'm never going to shoot it"

I did simplify in getting rid of my Mosins. I never shot them much, and was trying to reduce calibers. Of course, I soon added a 44 magnum, and am now adding a 45-70, so I'm going backwards in the simplifying scheme :mrgreen:

I am reminded though, of a friend of my dad's who died in the 90's. He had no heirs and a fantastic collection. As he got older he fell in with some unscrupulous people who basically took it all in exchange for caring for him in his declining years. Once he was too senile to do anything about it, they shuffled him off to someone else, quite penniless. Infuriating.

I suppose if I was in that position, I would talk to a lawyer about it. One could presumably have their collection go to a reputable dealer for sale, either on death or earlier, and have the money used to fund either their care in old age or something they value after death.