Two Henry Rifles on GB

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Two Henry Rifles on GB

Post by jkbrea »

I sure would like to shoot these. But not at that price! :o :shock:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =399110477
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Re: Two Henry Rifles on GB

Post by Hagler »

jk,

They move up a few thousand, evry so often:

http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... =1&t=58585

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
BrentD

Post by BrentD »

That original sure would be nice to have. But for such a valuable rifle, they sure have very few and very poor pictures of it.

I'd love to take that one hunting one more time.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

As Shawn posted elsewhere here - Those 2 Henry Model 1860's were placed @ auction by henry repeating Arms, for the benefit of the NRA Foundation, othe largest American charity dedicated to the preservation of our American hunting/shooting heritagw.

Better pics of the original Henry M1860, that was disassembled & used to reverse-engineer the tooling for the modern henry M1860 (and the story behind both old/new M1860's), are in the April, 2014 issue of The American Rifleman.

Last edited by Pete44ru on Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

And to think I could not come up with $4,500 in 1983 for an original military Henry in better condition than that one. I wanted it bad but at the time I believe I was making about 10 g's a year and four mouths to feed.----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

Pete44ru wrote:.
Better pics of the original Henry M1860, that was disassembled & used to reverse-engineer the tooling for the modern henry M1860 (and the story behind both old/new M1860's), are in the April, 2014 issue of The American Rifleman.
It is interesting that a look at the photos shows that Henry did not copy the original 1860 exactly - their clone's stock is bulkier, the receiver is a bit bulkier and shaped a little differently in areas, some the the metal in the receiver looks like it is noticeably thicker.

I wonder if this is the case with the receivers in Italian clones too, or are they pretty close to the originals? Did Henry feel they needed to beef it up for modern smokeless loads, I wonder?
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

Look at all the bids on 'em :shock:
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

7.62 Precision wrote:
It is interesting that a look at the photos shows that Henry did not copy the original 1860 exactly - their clone's stock is bulkier, the receiver is a bit bulkier and shaped a little differently in areas, some the the metal in the receiver looks like it is noticeably thicker.

I wonder if this is the case with the receivers in Italian clones too, or are they pretty close to the originals?
Did Henry feel they needed to beef it up for modern smokeless loads, I wonder ?

I would think so, since the .44-40 is much more powerful than the original's .44RF chambering - and, the .44-40's reloadable, which leaves a wide door open, as to possible heavier loads that might be used. (Better safe, than sorry - right ?)

There's 82 bids so far, cranking those babies up to $77K - a VERY nice donation by Henry to the NRA Foundation, for sure !

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Pete44ru wrote:There's 82 bids so far, cranking those babies up to $77K - a VERY nice donation by Henry AND some avid buyer to the NRA Foundation, for sure !
Henry may (I doubt it), ultimately have more than the winning bid in these puppies, but their corporate taxes will reflect a donation of the greater of whatever those two numbers is! Other than the loss of their "history", so they won't be on the losing end of the deal.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!