Sharp eyed crow!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Sharp eyed crow!

Post by Nath »

Not so sharp any more!
Love makes fools of almost all of creation!
5.5grn Green dot under a copper coated 158grn .357".

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Sharp eyed crow!

Post by AJMD429 »

Nath wrote:Love makes fools of almost all of creation!
Ain't that the truth; the most amazing good things, and the stupidest bad things, both seem to result from "love"... :D

Nice demonstration of the flexibility of the 357 Mag from a levergun. 8)
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Crows are a smart bird, but yes, we all can act the fool for a member of the other sex.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

congrats - don't get to many close shots on crows
junkbug
Levergunner 2.0

Post by junkbug »

That is a big bird. Nevermore!
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

MMmmmmm...

Crow Breast kebobs...
Ingredients
16 pieces of crow breast meat (no bones) (8 crows)
16 pieces of green pepper
16 cherry tomatoes
8 button mushrooms
8 ears of sweet corn
1 1/2 cups of Teriyaki sauce
1/2 cup melted butter
8 kabob skewers

Preparation

Cut each piece of crow in half and place in a covered bowl with the Teriyaki sauce over night. Clean and cut each ear of corn into 3 pieces. Cook in boiling salt water for 10 minutes. Alternately put corn (3 pieces), green peppers (3 pieces) and cherry tomatoes (3) along with 4 pieces of crow meat on each skewer. Use 1 mushroom to top each skewer. Brush with melted butter and place on preheated grill for about 4 minutes. Flip, butter again and place back on grill for another 4 minutes. Repeat one last time for a total of 12 minutes or until they appear done. Serves four adults.
http://www.crowbusters.com/recipes.htm
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Really... ?

Ever tried those?

:?:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Yep. Though the crows that go after the Georgia Pecan Groves are probably the best.

Nothing wrong with crow breast at all. (The rest is trash, but the breasts are good.)
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Old Ironsights wrote:Yep. Though the crows that go after the Georgia Pecan Groves are probably the best.

Nothing wrong with crow breast at all. (The rest is trash, but the breasts are good.)
Oh...You've met my Exes.... :twisted:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

Nath, thank you so much for all your posts. All are interesting, well done and inspiring. This one makes me want to go ahead and spend the bucks on that Savage 93GL I've had my eye on. Ought to be the real deal for those 75-100 yard shots the wily crows present hereabouts.
Most all my crow shooting has been done with a shotgun. Made a ton of dead crows back in the day. My close bud and I use to take dozens during open season. There is a season here due to a treaty with Mexico regarding the hunting of them. Mexican National Bird or some such.
Use to (may still be) be an exception in that it's legal to take crows out of season if they are going to or coming from crop damage or other such mischief. Interestingly, we figured any crow seen was either coming from or going to crop damage or livestock feed theft. Ever seen a crow that wasn't? :wink:
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I have had Crows and Grackles drive a dog away from his food dish so they could eat it. SightHunter found out that a Crossman 760 will drive them off, and they stay away for a while. Grackles, they look like small, long tailed Crows are migratory and thus protected. 3-4 pumps on the Crossman and a lead pellet will smack them hard enough to cause them to leave as if they had somewhere to be and and wanted to get there yesterday. They really move out. That is such a low powered setting that I am not even sure it goes deeper than the feathers.
D. Brian Casady
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

GoatGuy wrote:Nath, thank you so much for all your posts. All are interesting, well done and inspiring. This one makes me want to go ahead and spend the bucks on that Savage 93GL I've had my eye on. Ought to be the real deal for those 75-100 yard shots the wily crows present hereabouts.
Most all my crow shooting has been done with a shotgun. Made a ton of dead crows back in the day. My close bud and I use to take dozens during open season. There is a season here due to a treaty with Mexico regarding the hunting of them. Mexican National Bird or some such.
Use to (may still be) be an exception in that it's legal to take crows out of season if they are going to or coming from crop damage or other such mischief. Interestingly, we figured any crow seen was either coming from or going to crop damage or livestock feed theft. Ever seen a crow that wasn't? :wink:
Lol..cool.

Pillar....I would lose count of the pumps in that airgun! Lol.
Them birds sound like our jackdaws! Millions of them...open season here.

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I wish it were open season on them, but it is not, and if you are found with a dead one, it could mean a big fine. We are careful to just cause them to want to leave.
D. Brian Casady
Steelbanger
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Steelbanger »

The next time I see a crow feeding on a road killed skunk I'll think of you adventurous eaters. Me? I'll pass on the crow dinner. I will be leaving it for the politicians.
"He who has gone, so we but cherish his memory, abides with us, more potent, nay, more present, than the living man."
Antoine de Saint-Expuéry

Steelbanger, N.R.A. Life
PRPA Member
Marlin - a hard habit to break.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Steelbanger wrote:The next time I see a crow feeding on a road killed skunk I'll think of you adventurous eaters. Me? I'll pass on the crow dinner. I will be leaving it for the politicians.
Ever eat carp? Hog? Lobster? Bear?

Just becaus it scavanges doesn't mean it's bad eating.

Remember your nursery rhymes: "Four and twenty blackbirds baked in a pie..." didn't mean red-wings...
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

Old Ironsights wrote:
Steelbanger wrote:The next time I see a crow feeding on a road killed skunk I'll think of you adventurous eaters. Me? I'll pass on the crow dinner. I will be leaving it for the politicians.

Remember your nursery rhymes: "Four and twenty blackbirds baked in a pie..." didn't mean red-wings...
You forgot chicken as well. A chicken will eat anything.....
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

JB wrote:
Old Ironsights wrote:

You forgot chicken as well. A chicken will eat anything.....
Per the Crowbusters website "Recipe" page
I'm sure you are wondering if this section is simply an elaborate practical joke to anyone visiting the page. On the contrary, we have received a great many requests asking for further information about the culinary delights to be experienced when dining on the "Black Bandit". In fact, we believe a natural prejudice has prevented most crow hunters from even considering this bird as wild game. Our experience is that the mere mention of dropping these birds on the menu brings a series of comments from other hunters as if we had just suggested stir frying up a batch of common sewer rats. And if you ever make the mistake of sharing these thoughts with a non-hunter, be prepared for the same reaction you might get if you invited them to dine with the Donner party. This is a shame since, properly prepared, the members of the Corvid family are as tasty as most other game birds and even tastier than some. Besides, with crow populations as high as they are, what an untapped resource we have at our disposal.

Historically, crows, as well as other non-songbird species have been common fare. Remember "four and twenty blackbirds baked in a pie"? Our revulsion seems to center around the fact that the crow and it's close relatives are scavengers and therefore unfit to eat. Well, as far as pigs and chickens are concerned, you just wouldn't believe what these supermarket critters will stick in their mouths. Seafood? You honestly don't want to know what goes into a Blue Crab before it ends up on that expensive crab cake platter. I suppose the same goes for lobsters. The list goes on.

In short, it's really just our cultural prejudice that limits our possibilities. You know, maybe crow meat just needs some clever marketing terminology. Look what they did for Sweet Breads and Escargot...
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

AJMD429 wrote:
Nath wrote:Love makes fools of almost all of creation!
Ain't that the truth; the most amazing good things, and the stupidest bad things, both seem to result from "love"... :D

Nice demonstration of the flexibility of the 357 Mag from a levergun. 8)
+1 on all counts! :D