An Old Lee Loader Question

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Blaine
Posting leader...

An Old Lee Loader Question

Post by Blaine »

This is the "Pound It With A Hammer" Lee Loader for .45acp/Auto Rim.....

Do you suppose that it will crimp hard enough for stout loads out of that 625 I just acquired? That would bite if the cyl jammed up at an inopportune time...
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
mergus
Levergunner 2.0

Re: An Old Lee Loader Question

Post by mergus »

Way back, like 30 years ago, when I was younger and broke'er, I used to load all my .45 ACP for my Colt 1917 with that exact loading tool. Never once did it jump crimp, and I wasn't bright enough to start out on the light loads...

Mergus
Colt pistols, Marlin rifles and old SxS's.....
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

mergus wrote:Way back, like 30 years ago, when I was younger and broke'er, I used to load all my .45 ACP for my Colt 1917 with that exact loading tool. Never once did it jump crimp, and I wasn't bright enough to start out on the light loads...

Mergus
I was hoping someone would say that.....for now, my reloads will be auto rim for the 625.....I have a couple thousand or so factory 230fmjs.....

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I loaded thousands of rounds as a teenager using 21 (I think) grains of 2400 behind 240 JSP's for a 44 Mag Super Blackhawk with one without a crimp failure. Whatever the load was, I know that in the recent (40 years since) load manuals, it is now beyond the 'maximum advised' load, when back then it was just 'stout'.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Blaine, I never loaded ACP rounds with my Lee Loader. But I never had any problems at all with revolver rounds. Those tools do make a good roll crimp when they are designed to.

Have you slugged the throats on the cylinder?

Just curious cos many eons ago I had a 25-2. With jacketed ammo accuracy was decent. With lead, super poor and it leaded badly. I found out at the end it had .454 ± throats. So any bullets that my dies could seat in ACP or AR cases were too small for the cylinder.

With what I know now I could have dealt with the throats. But back then I just got rid of the gun.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

AJMD429 wrote:I loaded thousands of rounds as a teenager using 21 (I think) grains of 2400 behind 240 JSP's for a 44 Mag Super Blackhawk with one without a crimp failure. Whatever the load was, I know that in the recent (40 years since) load manuals, it is now beyond the 'maximum advised' load, when back then it was just 'stout'.
The last Lee Loader I used was for 16ga in the late 60s.....made it possible to shoot a couple rounds of skeet a week.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

It should work just fine Blaine. I got my start with one in the 45 in the mid 70s.

I know exactly what you are talking about with the Smith. I did the same thing. Once I learned the fix I finally bought one. They are excellent guns, just with huge throats.

I bought an older Ideal 454424. It drops bullets at .457 that I size to .456 and they go through the .455 and then into the .452 bore and shoot very accurately.

Wish I'd know of that fix years ago, dang it.

Cat
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

I'm 67 and been loading with Lee equipment for mebbe 30 years. Does that make me an "old Lee Loader"?

BTW, my first 1,000 rounds reloaded were made with a Lee Loader in .38 Special in about 1969...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I use Lee dies for my .480 Ruger, and it has never jumped crimp. The .480 generates a lot more kick than the .45 ACP, and as such, the .45 should be just fine with the Lee crimp.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

mikld wrote:I'm 67 and been loading with Lee equipment for mebbe 30 years. Does that make me an "old Lee Loader"?

BTW, my first 1,000 rounds reloaded were made with a Lee Loader in .38 Special in about 1969...
time is fun when you are having flies.

1969 to 2014 = 45 yrs. :shock:
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"