model 94 made in 1952

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
cclark
Levergunner

model 94 made in 1952

Post by cclark »

Hello all. I have lurked here for a long time and have never posted. Love the site, and it is full of helpful friendly people. I recently picked up a Winchester 94 that was made in 1952. The left side is in great shape, the right side is pretty rough. It's flaws are all cosmetic. I wasn't planning on buying it, but the price was so low I could not pass it up. I plan on keeping this one and I am going to hunt with it. The cosmetic flaws really bug me and I am considering sending it to turnbull and getting it re blued and the wood refinished. What would you do? I will try and post some pictures tonight. Thanks. Chris
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: model 94 made in 1952

Post by Pete44ru »

Welcome - Go for it..... :mrgreen:

ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Hi & welcome it is a good place!
If you get your pix. up im sure you'll get a lot of advice
on 60+ year old guns I figure they earned there wrinkles, but it sounds like yours is kind
of lop sided, I have several like that myself but I don't let it bother me

ollogger
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I would engage in the heresy of having it hard chromed. Make it relatively impervious. They made some in French Gray tha I thought looked great.

Welcome.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

Welcome!

Re: your 1952 94 shoot it all summer and hunt with it in the fall. Then, if you decide to have it re-blued, send it to a quality shop over the winter.

Look forward to your pics.
DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Post by DPris »

I wouldn't have a problem re-finishing it, but you should be able to find a much cheaper source for bluing & wood work. It's not an art piece & if you want to keep it as a working gun a good smith could do the job for a whole lot less than what Turnbull would charge you.

I have a well-worn '51, if I ever had it re-done I wouldn't put that kinda money into it.
Denis
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Howdy....Since it's a hunter/shooter/truck gun?....why not spiff it up yourself? Mr. T is going to charge you a ton of money for that work.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I've been playing, no working at doing some rust bluing using Brownells stuff. I just finished a Colt SAA that was a commemorative with a lot of gold on it. I don't like bling so I managed to polish most of it off and blued the parts. With a set of one piece style ivory grips it looks pretty good. I'd think any one could do this with a 94. You just need a tank big enough to boil the barrel/action in. How about a 6 cylinder chevy tappet cover? Just weld up a few holes.

And welcome!
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

cclark wrote:Hello all. I have lurked here for a long time and have never posted. Love the site, and it is full of helpful friendly people. I recently picked up a Winchester 94 that was made in 1952. The left side is in great shape, the right side is pretty rough. It's flaws are all cosmetic. I wasn't planning on buying it, but the price was so low I could not pass it up. I plan on keeping this one and I am going to hunt with it. The cosmetic flaws really bug me and I am considering sending it to turnbull and getting it re blued and the wood refinished. What would you do? I will try and post some pictures tonight. Thanks. Chris
cclark,

Welcome to Leverguns.

Your 94 was made in the same year as I was. :D

Were it mind I'd clean it up and shoot the dickens out of it. I've had only one gun refinished in my life and the refinishers did not do it the way I wanted it.
Since then I've just used them as they are. Repair any damage and or replace any missing or buggered up parts and just use it.

However if you just can't stand it, then mod71alaska's idea is a good one.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
BrentD

Post by BrentD »

If it is not pitted, I would do the refinishing myself and I might not restore to "as new" condition but rather just bring the two sides of the rifle into balance and to a point where durability is not an issue. That would probably mean some stripping of old finish but not necessarily to bare wood, maybe some sanding but very little and then a few coats of finish - mix of boiled linseed, spar and turpentine or mineral spirits in equal proportions.

rebluing would be no big deal, rust bluing is easy for anyone to do and need not be "complete" in the sense that you end up with something that looks brand new and out of place with the wood. You can stop anywhere in the process to match what you think is appropriate for the wood.

If there is pitting, then there are a couple of options. Welding up a small number of pits is no big deal if you can find someone skilled and with the right material. But larger areas are more problematic. There is an outfit who does laser welding for just this purpose and what I have seen of it has been very very good. But I have not done it on a rifle myself. I don't have the name of the outfit but if you need it, just ask and I'll run it down.

Brent
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Image and Welcome to THE Forum.

It's YOUR gun. Do to it as you please. I did mine with a new octagon bbl and fancy wood. I had the recv'r CCH'd using the traditional leather & charcoal methodology. Finished in 1991, it's held up. Turnbull is one of the few who do this correctly so the frame won't warp.

A better view of the colors

A not so blurry one
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Welcome to the fire.. :D
I would shoot it as it is, if it shoots OK then I'd maybe have it smartened up, if the flaws still bothered me.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

mod71alaska wrote:Welcome!

Re: your 1952 94 shoot it all summer and hunt with it in the fall. Then, if you decide to have it re-blued, send it to a quality shop over the winter.

Look forward to your pics.
Excellent advise. Welcome aboard.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Old Savage wrote:I would engage in the heresy of having it hard chromed. Make it relatively impervious. They made some in French Gray tha I thought looked great.Welcome.
I prefer to differ with my good friend Old Savage. Hard chromed would be OK but beings that your rifle is of the seldom encountered 1952 vintage, it would make it very practical to have Doug Turnbull refinish the whole gun as he only charges 2g's for a fine rust blue and a quality oil finish on the wood. I would go the whole route and have it color case hardened also. For about 3 g's you would be the envy of everyone in the woods. For about $700 more he will upgrade the wood to XXX exibition grade.

Old Savage is a very knowledgable guy but he knows his women better than he knows his guns. Hard chroming will stand out in the woods like a fat girl on a California beach.

Sixgun. (Mr. Winchester)
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

:lol: Leave it to Six.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Mescalero wrote::lol: Leave it to Six.
+1! Tellin' us like he thinks it is, whether we wanna hear it or not!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well, my dear friend Six, have to wonder if that gun would be shot if it was Turnbulled. What do you suppose it might be worth as is?

Sometimes it is not easy to see a girl in the woods ... They hide. :)

In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Old Savage wrote:Well, my dear friend Six, have to wonder if that gun would be shot if it was Turnbulled. What do you suppose it might be worth as is?

Sometimes it is not easy to see a girl in the woods ..
Well OS, the reason she is not easy yo see in the woods is because she is not there. She is in the field, getting ready to take a walk to the cornfield, where there will games of "where's the blonde".---6

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Now to my question, how much as is and .... Corn fields stop at about Nebraska, not sure you will find them in Wyoming.

ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Sixgun wrote:
Old Savage wrote:Well, my dear friend Six, have to wonder if that gun would be shot if it was Turnbulled. What do you suppose it might be worth as is?

Well OS, the reason she is not easy yo see in the woods is because she is not there. She is in the field, getting ready to take a walk to the cornfield, where there will games of "where's the blonde".---6

Well OS thanks for the nice pix. of my wife, im sure you had no idea Sixgun would come along
and turn it into sport, dang Jack is there just no fix for imagination?????????

Brad
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

ollogger wrote:
Sixgun wrote:
Well OS, the reason she is not easy yo see in the woods is because she is not there. She is in the field, getting ready to take a walk to the cornfield, where there will games of "where's the blonde.---6
Well OS thanks for the nice pix. of my wife, im sure you had no idea Sixgun would come along and turn it into sport, dang Jack is there just no fix for imagination??????????
Brad
As I said, Six tells us as he THINKS it is... :P
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

Meanwhile back at the ranch; I would clean it up a little bit by hand or leave it as is, and save my money for another one, maybe nicer finish on the next one, or shoot it and enjoy it, then possibly trade it for a nicer one. For the cost Turnbill would charge, you could buy a couple of more really nice pre-64's original.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Logger, lovely picture of a lovely gal!

cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Awww! It's a math problem...
Cornfield + hot blonde =
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Whoops. My screw up------did not know it was Boots. :oops: --------6

92&94
Senior Levergunner

Post by 92&94 »

I sure wouldn't spend Turnbull kind of money on a 1950's 94, but that's just me. Not that he doesn't do the best job possible, and not that he isn't worth the results if that's what you want. The reason is that it would be a really hard sell to get that money back out of the gun if you ever want to sell it.
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

If I were to go to the likes of Turnbull's acclaimed shop I would start with a different rifle in my opinion. The 94 carbine is arguably the best example of a working man's hunting rifle. However, one of the rarer long barrel models or a Model 64 would be my choice. My dream model would be 95 in 303 Brit.

If you decide on a good gunsmith standard refinishing and inspection, go for it, if you want. My 56 94 is bone stock with a Lyman steel 66 in real good shooter condition. I'm not sure but I think it was drilled and tapped for the sight. It arrived at my door cheaper than a Remlin 336 by quite a bit. Your gun as described has limited collector value but a like new condition pre-64 94 is a real fine rifle and in my mind preferable to even the Miroku models, I own both. You get a nice finish and a hand tuned all steel forged mechanism in a remarkable Winchester rifle. Now that is value and style.

I should add I am a bit of a bubba, both in size and guncraft! If it needs drilling it gets drilled. If it needs refinishing it gets refinished. I buy used bubba specials and it suits my pocketbook and style. I wouldn't bubba an old 1894 but I also wouldn't own one unless it was stupid cheap by such standards.

I've seen pictures of Steve's work from Stevez Guns our own Nate Kiowa Jones. He once showed a remodelled Miroku Winchester he removed the tang safety from then refinished in a case hardened receiver. I'm not ashamed to admit I almost wet my pants!! Steve knows lever actions with a fondness for the 92 and 94 I believe. Us Canadians face a terrific hassle to get servicing in the US, you are very fortunate to have such services available.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

About the only way I would make a Turnbull sized investment in a post war 94 carbine is if it had huge sentimental value.

The first thing I would do if it was mine would be to shoot it and see if it shoots well. If it does and you intend to hunt with it I would leave it as is. If you're like me, you will find that the roughness won't bother you over time compared to the enjoyment you will get carrying a rifle you don't have to "worry" about.
I have several like that and carry them the most, either hunting or "woods loafing". I have a 38WCF 92SRC without a stitch of finish and a fair amount of pitting. When I got it I intended to re-sell it but it turned out to be a shooter. Now it sees more action than any other 92 I own and I don't even see the roughness. Just looks like a cool ole saddle gun.

The other option is to use it as the base for a project. Build a trapper etc. out of it........but again, shoot and evaluate it first.

Good luck.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

cclark wrote:Hello all. I have lurked here for a long time and have never posted. Love the site, and it is full of helpful friendly people. I recently picked up a Winchester 94 that was made in 1952. The left side is in great shape, the right side is pretty rough. It's flaws are all cosmetic. I wasn't planning on buying it, but the price was so low I could not pass it up. I plan on keeping this one and I am going to hunt with it. The cosmetic flaws really bug me and I am considering sending it to turnbull and getting it re blued and the wood refinished. What would you do? I will try and post some pictures tonight. Thanks. Chris
WELCOME!!! love pictures and seeing yours will be great! Those are great rifles!
I am the gal Fred posted by the fall tree in color........ Took a trip to Wisconsin a while back, I seem to pop up in the least expected places!!! LOL lets see that Rifle! :)

Ms Boots in Wheatland Wyoming!
Ms Boots
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ms Boots »

Hey Welcome! Will look forward to seeing your rifle! Yes post pictures for sure.
I am the girl by the fall tree in color that Fred posted. I was back in Wisconsin for a visit a while back.
I seem to pop up in the oddest places! LOL I think you will like it here :) great knowledge on this list!
Ms Boots
Psalms 83:18 Dan 2:44
Ms Boots
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ms Boots »

Not this gal Fred! Bring it on... LOL that was one humid hot day while visiting Augusta Wisconsin. Me and my friend Alice flew back there and drove a pick up truck back to Wyoming!
What a blast that was. The colors were awesome, hit it just right to see a beautiful fall!
8)
Ms Boots
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ms Boots »

Sixgun wrote:Whoops. My screw up------did not know it was Boots. :oops: --------6
Sixgun wrote:Whoops. My screw up------did not know it was Boots. :oops: --------6

Not this gal Fred! Bring it on... LOL that was one humid hot day while visiting Augusta Wisconsin. Me and my friend Alice flew back there and drove a pick up truck back to Wyoming!
What a blast that was. The colors were awesome, hit it just right to see a beautiful fall!
8)

My dear Six, I need to send you more pictures of me... you ought know by now, scroll down and see the boots? who the heck else would it be? Silly man! :wink:
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

You are right Boots, not much hiding with you. I sent him a logging picture so he would know what you look like in the woods. :)

cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Or sitting very classy on a horse...

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Ms Boots wrote:
8)

My dear Six, I need to send you more pictures of me... you ought know by now, scroll down and see the boots? who the heck else would it be? Silly man! :wink:
Ms. Boots,
I made a snide remark to which I apologize. I have seen very few close ups of you and the scenery in the picture did not match Wyoming. And no, I did not scroll down because most guys don't bother to scroll down and even if I did, there's more than one gal out there who wears boots. :D

Once again, I apologize but I sure ain't gonna feel bad or have any intentions of self hate because of an honest mistake.

Nice picture though! :D ------Six

Ms Boots
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ms Boots »

Sixgun wrote:
Ms Boots wrote:
8)

Ms. Boots,
I made a snide remark to which I apologize. I have seen very few close ups of you and the scenery in the picture did not match Wyoming. And no, I did not scroll down because most guys don't bother to scroll down and even if I did, there's more than one gal out there who wears boots. :D

Once again, I apologize but I sure ain't gonna feel bad or have any intentions of self hate because of an honest mistake.

Nice picture though! :D ------Six
all in fun guy, we are good! :wink:
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Sixgun wrote:
Old Savage wrote:I Hard chroming will stand out in the woods like a fat girl on a California beach.

Sixgun. (Mr. Winchester)
Hey now ---- some of us like to be kept warm at night :)
----- Doug
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Streetstar, that is somehow quoted incorrectly.

"Old Savage is a very knowledgable guy but he knows his women better than he knows his guns. Hard chroming will stand out in the woods like a fat girl on a California beach."

Sixgun. (Mr. Winchester)

Keep in mind, we do have .... The warm Calif. sun :)

cclark
Levergunner

Post by cclark »

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I think I am going to follow everyone's advice and shoot it this summer and hunt with it this fall. Then decide if I want to reblue/refinish it. I will have pictures up in the morning. Chris
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

cclark wrote:Thanks everyone for the feedback. I think I am going to follow everyone's advice and shoot it this summer and hunt with it this fall. Then decide if I want to reblue/refinish it. I will have pictures up in the morning. Chris
Good plan.

Keep in mind, that if you do the disassembly and polishing... Turnbull's is not really very expensive to have them CCH or blue stuff. Just be confident in your ability to reassemble without marring that beautiful finish! Woodwork... that's a different story. It's labor... not two ways about it... and they're going to charge what their labor is worth!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

Meet rip van winkle! You guys spit out 3G like I would $90s or so! Life has bypassed me! Luckly, I bought my 94 back in about 1956 when I was 15 years old. Seems it was $55 or $65 back then. I still have it, its in nice shape and shot most of my deer. While I am at it I also am showing a 64 made about in the early 1950s. I dont think it was fired when I bought it for about $200s back in the early/mid 70s. The 94 I added a pad for LOP and a williams peep.

cclark
Levergunner

Post by cclark »

Thanks again everyone. The promised pics will have to wait till I find my camera. Cleaning my gun room in the AM and it will turn up. I spent some time looking at 94's on gunbroker and in general my gun really isn't that bad. The other thing, on turnbull's website I must of misread it. To reblue the metal seemed to be 4 or 5 hundred bucks and around the same for the wood. I see several people mention 2 or 3 thousand and they obviously know more than I!! I am a 44 year old gun nut, I find it almost humorous that I developed an interest in leverguns now. My eyes are in a condition now I almost require a scope! This all started when a buddy pulled out a 1936 deluxe model 71 in mint condition. When I saw it my knees got weak and my mouth got dry. But that story is for another post. On a side note I will be the proud owner of a standard model 71 next week. Not as nice as my friend's, but also made in 1936. Thanks. Chris