G42 Range Report

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

G42 Range Report

Post by TedH »

I picked up the new G42 last night. Got it home and took it apart, and checked everything out as I usually do with any new or used gun I get. Not much to report there, it looks like a Glock. Frame weighs practically nothing, slide and barrel are identical to other Glocks only scaled down. The only hiccup I could find was that when inserting the magazines, if you had them canted hard to the rear of the gun when pushing them up into the frame the top front edge of the magazine will catch the edge of the magazine release and stop it in it's tracks. If pushed in straight up it's not a problem and they feed into the mag well just fine. Still, I don't like it, and I think a very slight radiusing of the bottom edge of the magazine release will take care of that.

Got out to the range this morning and set up the sandbags at the 25 yard bench. I know that's a little far for this type of gun, but I wanted to see where the sights were and have a good solid rest for accuracy. I put in 5 rounds of one of my carry loads, the 90 gr. Corbon JHP. I fired those 5 rounds at a 6" black circle using a 6 O'clock hold. What you see in this photo is the result of those first 5 rounds. Needless to say, I was thourghly impressed.

I went on to run two boxes of my handloads with 100 gr. jacketed round nose bullets. They all fed and ejected flawlessly. I found another partial box of factory ammo in my bag, that I couldn't remember where it came from so I figured this would be a good time as any to burn it up and get a few more break in rounds though the little Glock. The first round stovepiped. The second fired and ejected fine. The recoil and report was noticably less however. The next round fired, but didn't eject. Tried two more magazines and had problems with almost every round. I was getting worried at this point so I put in some more rounds of the Corbon ammo. Blasted through two mags with no problem. At this point I remembered where I got the mystery ammo. I had found it on the same bench I was shooting from, someone had left it behind and I found it there on a previous trip to the range. Now I see why they left it, it was JUNK! I didn't recognize the headstamp. PPU. Don't know where it's from, but they got the name right, PeePeeYewwww!!!

With the exception of the magazine insertion issue, which will be easily remedied, and the junk ammo, this little dude just made my day. It's going to be a joy to carry in the new Alien Gear holster when it arrives. In the mean time I'll keep shooting and making sure it's going to be reliable with my carry loads. Some here have reported others are having issues with these guns, but so far I say Glock has a winner with this one.
NRA Life Member
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: G42 Range Report

Post by Blaine »

I love these little pea shooters that can be carried so, so easily. If I didn't already have an LCP, I'd go with one of those (if it slid into my vest pocket like the 'P does...) How is it to shoot, comfort-wise? Most of those little 380s are viscous snappers.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I was very surprised at the lack of recoil. It's much more comfortable to shoot than the PPK was. I could dump a full mag in the black circle at 7 yards as fast about as I could pull the trigger. It doesn't shoot like a small gun. My wife thought the PPK had too much recoil, and she didn't like it. She's only 5'3" and a buck '20 soaking wet though, but I think she will find this Glock 380 much more to her liking.
Granted it's not the size of your LCP Blaine, but it's size is a tradeoff I'll take because it shoots like a much larger gun.
Last edited by TedH on Sat May 03, 2014 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Life Member
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

TedH wrote:I was very surprised at the lack of recoil. It's much more comfortable to shoot than the PPK was. I could dump a full mag in the black circle at 7 yards as fast about as I could pull the trigger. It doesn't shoot like a small gun. Granted it's not the size of your LCP, but it's size is a tradeoff I'll take because it shoots like a much larger gun.
The Local Toy Store let me unload my LCP, and do a side by side....not THAT much bigger....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Centennial
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Centennial »

Thanks for the report. I am glad you bench/sandbag tested it a 25 yards on paper.

Are these a single action trigger and safe to carry with one in the chamber?
milton
Levergunner 2.0

Post by milton »

Not to "steal the thunder" concerning your new Glock but I will say you are a more brave man than me.If I find loaded ammo at the range or anywhere I will not shoot it in my gun.I will break it down and use the components but I have already seen a damaged revolver from pick up rounds that were reloaded and loaded too hot!Be careful,don't break your nice new Glock!
"Knowledge without understanding is a dangerous thing. For a little knowledge entices us to walk its path, a bit more provides the foundation on which we take our stand, and a sufficient amount can erect a wall of knowledge around us, trapping us in our own ignorance."
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

milton wrote:Not to "steal the thunder" concerning your new Glock but I will say you are a more brave man than me.If I find loaded ammo at the range or anywhere I will not shoot it in my gun.I will break it down and use the components but I have already seen a damaged revolver from pick up rounds that were reloaded and loaded too hot!Be careful,don't break your nice new Glock!
If I had any doubt that it wasn't factory loaded ammo, I would have done just as you said. I'm too cheap to pitch it.
Centennial wrote:
Are these a single action trigger and safe to carry with one in the chamber?
Yep, same as any other Glock. I won't carry a round in the chamber if the gun isn't in a proper holster though. That goes for any of my carry guns with the exception of a 5 shot 38 revolver.
NRA Life Member
milton
Levergunner 2.0

Post by milton »

Sorry,I didn't understand it was factory stuff!
"Knowledge without understanding is a dangerous thing. For a little knowledge entices us to walk its path, a bit more provides the foundation on which we take our stand, and a sufficient amount can erect a wall of knowledge around us, trapping us in our own ignorance."
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

PPU should be Prvi Partizan, made in Slovenia or Slovakia I think.

Usually quite good ammo in fact (shot a lot of it) but if it was range 'leftovers' they might have even been reloads.
BobM
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BobM »

I handled one of those Glocks today and liked it. Rumor has it that Glock will also be making it in 9mm and I'd definitely buy one then.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

May I suggest the Armored Carry A.T.S. holster? This makes the gun virtually disappear, good retention and doesnt move around on the belt. It is a minimalist holster design that I use for full sized and medium sized pistols and I have nothing but praise for them. You can tuck you shirt in too if you want. www.armoredcarry.com
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

milton wrote:Not to "steal the thunder" concerning your new Glock but I will say you are a more brave man than me.If I find loaded ammo at the range or anywhere I will not shoot it in my gun.I will break it down and use the components but I have already seen a damaged revolver from pick up rounds that were reloaded and loaded too hot!Be careful,don't break your nice new Glock!
Had a guy taking a course and his Glock 21 was jamming quite often for a Glock. It jammed just barely out of battery and he could not get the slide back. Neither could I. We made everyone clear and took the pistol forward. to try to clear the jam. After some heavy hammering, and some disassembly, we got the slide back and he cartridge out. It was ugly, with the case bulged and folded near the mouth. He said, "Oh, that must be one of the ones I picked up at the range."

I said, "Which range? Is one of the ranges selling reloads?"

"No," he said, "I went to the range and found about a hundred rounds laying on the ground in front of the shooting bench, so I piked them up and cleaned them off."

I told him, "Give them all to me," and he did. They were really ugly; bulges, bullets seated crooked and at different OALs, cracks at the case mouth, cracks behind the case mouth, some of which you could see powder through. It was scary, especially in a Glock.

I won't shoot picked up ammo or someone's reloads. I have accumulated a quantity of reloads or ammo that came from unknown or dubious sources over the years that I have set aside to give to someone for components.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

BobM wrote:I handled one of those Glocks today and liked it. Rumor has it that Glock will also be making it in 9mm and I'd definitely buy one then.

They say 2 years before they release the 9mm version.
NRA Life Member
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Well done Ted :mrgreen:
Seems a springtime pistol kick virus hit the forum. :D