Rarest Of The Rare Colt .45 Auto

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Rarest Of The Rare Colt .45 Auto

Post by Sixgun »

How about this one guys, a Colt that John Browning himself had his hands on. An extremely rare Model 1909 in which only 23 were made. Serialization started with "0" and ended with 22, making this the last gun made. This serial number 22 is most likely the finest condition Model 1909 that exists. I've seen pictures of a few others and they are all pretty much beat. Most all of the high polish blue remains along with the smaller parts being nitre blued. There is a mess of hairline scratches on the gun from being handled by who knows how many engineers, workmen, and people employed by Colt over the years. This gun has only been in a private collection for 30 years, with the previous years hanging out in the Colt archives vault.

Just handling this gun brought shivers up my spine, just imagining and wondering that when John Browning handled it, if he knew that a famous guy from Leverguns.com (me) would one day handle his masterpiece. :D OK, go ahead and laugh.

I'm not at liberty to disclose what my buddy paid for this gun but its an easy guess, at auction, this gun would bring $75,000 or more. Along with this Model 1909, another gun was included in the private sale, a very scarce Model 1905, in which approx. 5,000 were made. This 3 digit serial numbered 1905 is also in beautiful condition.

Yes, I did ask my bud, "Can I have it?" He said, "Why sure, just wait until hell freezes over".---Sixgun

(first chance I get I'm gonna sneak that baby out and give it a workout with some Cor Bon +P loads)

Model 1909 serial number 22

Model 1905 Colt serial number 385

Me in dream land
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Griff
Posting leader...

Re: Rarest Of The Rare Colt .45 Auto

Post by Griff »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

I didn't know there had been a 1909. The 1905 I've long thought a handsome pistol.
Centennial
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Centennial »

My friend has one of those. He brought it over and I had it in my hands. I don't remember the serial number range.
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

The big difference between the 1909 and the 1911 is the angle of the grip..
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
pdentrem
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pdentrem »

Never seen one before. I don't see a thumb safety?
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Ok, Ok, come on out for a visit. You can shoot my five digit Spingfield Armory. Made in Brazil. It is imported. Ask that dammn cat if he is done yet with my 1950 4". This one is specially modified and the only one of it's kind and mentioned in one of Mike Dillon's early news rags.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Yep, rare it is. But consider, Randall had two production models of which few than 22 were made. Heck, they only made 297 of the most common left handed model.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Very Cool! I am surprised your buddy won't let you shoot it right away. He must know you all too well. :o
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

That's quite a historic pistol to get to hold in your hands. Like you'd said Six, to hold a pistol that ole JMB worked on and had in his hands......maybe even shot......is super cool.

Good for you bud!

Let alone that it's probably worth.......what?...........maybe six or even eight hundred bucks! :D :roll:
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

VERY NICE, a real piece of history there :D :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

I posted this as I really thought it would be cool to share the significance of such a fine historic gun that comes around once in a lifetime in the hands of regular people, and if they do, they rarely get shared with common folk like us on Leverguns.

Guns like this are always in the hands of the super rich, museums, or in headlines of auction sites like Rock Island Arsenal or Julia Inc. it's neat for us peons to get a piece of the action once in a while.

My buddy, who owns a gunshop , is just a regular guy like us, who goes to work everyday, trying to keep a business open to support himself and his 15 or so employees. Keeping a gunshop open in the liberal east is no easy task, with the constant bombardment from so called "peace activists", a liberal press, insurance companies that are owned by the liberal elite, other low life individuals always looking to sue him in a business that is easy to sue, a business with a low retail profit margin, an Obama ruled ATF, and a business that is demonized as being immoral or extreme right wing connected.----6

Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Sixgun wrote:I posted this as I really thought it would be cool to share the significance of such a fine historic gun that comes around once in a lifetime in the hands of regular people, and if they do, they rarely get shared with common folk like us on Leverguns.

Guns like this are always in the hands of the super rich, museums, or in headlines of auction sites like Rock Island Arsenal or Julia Inc. it's neat for us peons to get a piece of the action once in a while.

My buddy, who owns a gunshop , is just a regular guy like us, who goes to work everyday, trying to keep a business open to support himself and his 15 or so employees. Keeping a gunshop open in the liberal east is no easy task, with the constant bombardment from so called "peace activists", a liberal press, insurance companies that are owned by the liberal elite, other low life individuals always looking to sue him in a business that is easy to sue, a business with a low retail profit margin, an Obama ruled ATF, and a business that is demonized as being immoral or extreme right wing connected.----6
I get your point exactly, and thank you very much for posting :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Centennial
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Centennial »

Sixgun,
I understand and appreciate your point also.
BTW, my old friend really does have one of those 22 guns made. He was pretty excited when he bought it several years ago, and drove 100 miles to visit and show it to us. We sat at the kitchen table and admired it and the letter from COLT.
John Browning was quite a man and what he did affects us all one way or another for generations to come, maybe forever.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I certainly hope I didn't sound unappreciative Jack.
Thank you for posting all this stuff you get to see cause I definitely wouldn't get to see it any other way.
What you said is true though. All the good stuff is at Julia's and on a one way ticket out of this state. Its only fifteen miles down the road and until this spring I'd never set foot in there.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Sixgun wrote:Image
I really LOVE that shirt....!!!! :lol:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I wonder how much it would cost to get it drilled and tapped for a red dot and chrome plated???
:? :? :?
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

AJMD429 wrote:
Sixgun wrote:Image
I really LOVE that shirt....!!!! :lol:

I was going to comment on that too ! In the wake of the Don Sterling fiasco and the hyper sensitive nature of seemingly everybody out there nowadays, i would love to have a shirt like that to scare the straights -- :lol: :lol:
----- Doug
Bloodhound
Levergunner

Post by Bloodhound »

That is so cool! Thanks for the pics and history info
Scott

Do Justice
Love Mercy
Walk Humbly With Your GOD
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

Thanks, it is always good to learn something new. WOW !
"That'll Be The Day"
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Yowser! Touching the examples of history. Thanks for sharing the contact with this very rare piece. I apologize for anything that may have seemed disrespectful of moment.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

The dozen or so 45s that were found and brought up from the belly of the Battleship Arizona and soon afterward refurbished by a few Sailors during the war, too would be rare historic treasures, though they wouldn't be in as nice a condition or as rare as that personal :o JMB 45.
But good old Congress deemed they should be destroyed!
However, What do you guys think the likelihood would be that some crank in the thick of destroying those pistols might just have had to have snagged 8) :twisted: a couple Arizona's 1911s for posterity ?...
You never know, One could show up any day now...
WWII vets are dying off every hour nowadays...God bless them.
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Extremely cool 6 :mrgreen:
That for sure defines the phrase " something to behold"
Great post.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Ha! You guys got to pay attention here. Have WE become just as flaky and transparent as the liberals?
(This is all tongue in cheek :D )

Imagine, a $15 shirt getting more attention than an historic gun. Well, let me explain something to you, and I don't care about the repercussions. I want YOU to know that if I wore this shirt to work, I would be out of 41 years of seniority as every "brother" would be crying shame at the front office.

Every time they hear the word "black" they somehow try to make it work for them and their excuses for being taking more time to figure out how to get out of work than the work itself takes. Sorry, to those I may have offended......I have seen this everyday for the last 41 years. Like Bill O'Reilly, I speak the truth and present "facts".

Besides, what does a black gun have to do with "racism"? :D

OK, let's branch off from here..........we need to spice things up. Good 'ole Old Savage tried but his racy pics are banned.......How's 'bout a good joke?....... What do you call a barn full of Al Sharpton's ancestors?........................."antique farm tools" :D

Oh! The shirt. Yes, thank you very much. It's my favorite. I love to challenge the libs when I walk into a Home Depot, whatever, and one of them comes up to me with a vain bulging out of their neck.

I pulled the shirt out of the hamper, full of dog hairs and tobacco juice. YES, to you brothers down South and my Western compadres, I am your Eastern redneck connection. :D ----6

Centennial
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Centennial »

To be honest I didn't notice the shirt till others mentioned it. I was lookin at the Colt, if there had been a girl holding the Colt or a girl in the shirt holding the Colt, then I might of noticed it. They do make brown, tan, camo, pink, and honey chocolate ones now too. :)

Ben Rumson, that is a sad story deserving of it's own post. I didn't know about that travesty.
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

Six,

Very cool pistols. Thank you.

The number 22 looks just a little crooked: I bet it was hand stamped. What a beauty. Is that a little hole in the upper right corner of the left hand grip? What for?

Didn't even know that there was an '09. What an interesting step from an 'o5 to an '11.

Cat
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Big talk centenniel, can you see the corn

Btw full color pictures of sweet corn is banned here, verboten.

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

You know Six, did I mention that Springfield is PRE 1990s and...... Parkerized :-)

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Hey Six,

I noticed the shirt right off and kind of grinned to myself remebering our visit and some of our conversation. :roll:

Hey......just keeping free speech alive. :D
Centennial
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Centennial »

Old Savage wrote:Big talk centenniel, can you see the corn

Yup! I see it tOO
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

Old Savage wrote:... can you see the corn
When was that corn photographed? The hair style on the gal looks to be '40s, but I think that sort of suit wasn't popular until the '60s. I wonder how long she could keep her tummy sucked in like that.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

I wonder if the corn is still edible? Ya think its all shriveled up?------6 :D

cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

Tommy might want to have them deleted. A picture of you holding them may seriously detract from the value of those guns. :lol:
Slow is just slow.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

cas wrote:Tommy might want to have them deleted. A picture of you holding them may seriously detract from the value of those guns. :lol:

CAS,, THATS the plan......then I come in and buy em for .10 on the dollar.-----6

jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Old Savage wrote:Big talk centenniel, can you see the corn

Man why did you have to post a Betty picture? Now I'll be thinking about her for days.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
winSRC
Levergunner

Post by winSRC »

:mrgreen: Wow that is a RARE Colt you have there, I would love to have that in my collection!
You will pry my Winchester 95 in 405 WCF from my cold dead hands!
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

KWK wrote:
Old Savage wrote:... can you see the corn
When was that corn photographed? The hair style on the gal looks to be '40s, but I think that sort of suit wasn't popular until the '60s. I wonder how long she could keep her tummy sucked in like that.
Answer:
As long as the Dyson vacuum is attached & running. :P