If You Cast Bullets......

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

If You Cast Bullets......

Post by Sixgun »

You really need to snag one of these old manuals. Cast bullet shooting is a lost art and one that has only regained much interest in the last 15 years or so. If you shoot the old guns, you need to know more than what is printed in today's manuals.

The below pictured manual is from 1948 and contains more info than you can shake a stick at. I picked this up at a show for $15. It goes into detail about hardness, rifling twists, varying groove diameters and about anything a do it your selfer needs to know I order to throw a chunk of lead accurately down range. ------6

1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

J35
Levergunner 3.0

Re: If You Cast Bullets......

Post by J35 »

http://www.cornellpubs.com/

Abby has them all.

I have several from 1906 to 1950 I bought from her.

------J
Keep The Peace, Love and Harmony, These are the Gold Nuggets, All Else Is Sand !!
Centennial
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Centennial »

Thanks for the heads up on this.

I have my 1st manual a Lyman 45th Edition, which I consider as the standard.
I need to replace MODERN HAND LOADING by Maj. George Nonte, that I loaned out and it got lost. It has lots of data for old guns and categorizes them by strength rating. It's aged info but a lot of it is still solid info.
w30wcf
Senior Levergunner

Post by w30wcf »

Thank you .....6 :D
+1 +2 +3 +4 +5 ....... etc.

Yes, indeed! The older "Ideal" manuals are a treasure trove of information. :D

As j35nut indicated........
http://www.cornellpubs.com/old-guns/historic-ideal.php

Also, these manuals are very informative......
http://www.cornellpubs.com/old-guns/ite ... em_id=2949
http://www.cornellpubs.com/old-guns/ite ... em_id=2960

w30wcf
aka John Kort
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka w44wcf (black powder)
NRA Life member
.22 WCF, .30 WCF, .44 WCF Cartridge Historian
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

J35nut wrote:http://www.cornellpubs.com/
Abby has them all.
I have several from 1906 to 1950 I bought from her.
-----J
Oh man! I like that......especially their prices.---6

Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

Noticed the page in your book on the 44-40. Friend of mine loaded up a bunch of those hot 2400 loads and separated the head from every single case he fired. I have a lot of those books and they are a great read by the fireplace on a cold winter night but I think I will just call the loads "historically interesting" and use more modern data. I have one book that I won't even quote from as the loads are patently ridiculous and would now be considered +P+ and this is from guns that weren't good for much more than black powder.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Wow! Thanks for the source for the reprints! I have a few pages copied from a friends old Ideal manual, it has some great light loads, with both round balls and light cast bullets. There seems to be a fair amount of standard to heavy-ish hunting loads in the modern Lyman manuals, but not much in the very light loads which they called basement or cellar loads, and small game loads.

Anyone have suggestions for which particular Ideal manual numbers have the best variety of the extra-light loads and general information? The copied pages I have had pictures of the bullets they used on each caliber specific page along with cast and jacketed bullets listed in separate load tables. I like that format.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Malamute wrote:Wow! Thanks for the source for the reprints! I have a few pages copied from a friends old Ideal manual, it has some great light loads, with both round balls and light cast bullets. There seems to be a fair amount of standard to heavy-ish hunting loads in the modern Lyman manuals, but not much in the very light loads which they called basement or cellar loads, and small game loads.

Anyone have suggestions for which particular Ideal manual numbers have the best variety of the extra-light loads and general information? The copied pages I have had pictures of the bullets they used on each caliber specific page along with cast and jacketed bullets listed in separate load tables. I like that format.
Malamute,
For many years I considered the Lyman 45 edition to be the epitome of reloading manuals. It has the best mix of old and new. Even Terry Weiland of Rifle Magaizine says it's a must.

But........leafing through the earlier ones has more descriptive information on the cast bullet thingys. I really like this one I just picked up. It even has many loads for the discontinued powders like Lightning and DuPont #6 and SR 80 which I have managed to hoard all of these years.

My suggestion is to 1st......make sure you have the 45th, then go backwards. I have the 39, 40, 41,45, all of the ones since the seventies along with their "Cast Bullet Only" manuals.

I'm going to get a few of those reprints of the first few. For as cheap as they are, there is lots of "expensive" info in them that will last a lifetime. Even though I have been casting continuously and heavily since 1973, I'm still learning.----6