Anybody up for a little Squrriel hunting?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Anybody up for a little Squrriel hunting?

Post by Rusty »

If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Anybody up for a little Squrriel hunting?

Post by RIHMFIRE »

if the florida squirrels had a little more meat on them....maybe!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Marvin S
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marvin S »

Im a member there and have hunted with a couple guys on the forum.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

The squirrel woods are good schoolin for the deer woods.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I would freely, and gladly give up the deer season if Washington had a good squill season...That's one of the only things I miss in the midwest, those big fox squills...
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

The recognition and promotion of the Squirrel as one of Mankind's greatest gifts. I have been saying that for years.... 8)
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I love to hunt squirrels. It's just fun in the woods.

Problem locally is that the squirrel season is the few weeks right before before deer season.

Puts the deer in 'stealth' mode.

:?
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Our squirrel season is open nearly year round. They close it long enough for the mama's to have their young and open it back up again. This year the season opens May 24th, and will remain open until Feb 15th 2015. I spent many long hours of my youth stalking the hardwoods of Missouri in search of bushytails. Sadly, I've allowed adulthood to take that away. I think I might just have to dust off my old Marlin 22 that Dad bought me when I was knee high to a grasshopper and relive some of those days.
NRA Life Member
Centennial
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Centennial »

I got one the other day with my 22LR. Tang sights. Federal 500's ammo. I set to 100 yards , it took me 8 shots to finally hit him. he was on my trailer full of stock panels and when he moved to standing on the winch I could see him better and hit him in the paunch. So a bit low and it may have a bit over 100 yards.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

FWiedner wrote: I love to hunt squirrels. It's just fun in the woods.

Problem locally is that the squirrel season is the few weeks right before before deer season.

Puts the deer in 'stealth' mode.

:?

It's all in your mind - In the early -60's, myself and a fella I served with were Squill hunting in a huge grove on the Ft.Bragg military reservation one day, me parking my butt on the ground against a huge tree trunk and my partner backing himself into the hollow of a lightning-struck tree. (we could see each other, but had different fields of fire).

After we each had shot a Squill with our .22's, the woods got quiet for awhile, like it often does after the natural rythems are disturbed by shooting.

About 10mins into the quiet, I spotted a nice fat Whitetail Doe approaching my partner's stand from behind him. :o

He was clueless, but (fortunately) quiet/still. :)

The doe walked right in front of him, where he proceeded to put a .22LR slug into her ear - dropping her on the spot. :shock: (Deer season was also "open" at the time)

The moral of this story: When opportunity knocks - answer............ :mrgreen:

madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

More like squirrel watching at old Lar's place.
We are watching six of the little buggers at the very top of theses certain budded trees about 60ft up on the tiny very top branches with a gorge below. Incredible. Eating the buds and performing tricks.
Think I am turning soft. Feed this mother rabbit every night a big carrot,she comes up to deck.
An hour ago wife said " there is a gobbler next to the tractor, in the corner 10 ft away is my Turkey BPS and I said "yep, he's a big one". Deer hunting this fall---different deal, am obsessed with hunting whitetails.
Heart just ain't into killing one this year. They had it tough enough will the worst winter I have ever seen in my lifetime. This weekend, coal stoker will be shut down since Nov.
Actually, some days were 75 probably should have then like today just testing it out I guess. Sure ain't using much.