Is anybody still shooting a 16 Ga. ?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Is anybody still shooting a 16 Ga. ?

Post by Larkbill »

Lets just admit it, A5's have an "enhanced recoil" due to the action. I also have a Remington Sportsman 48 in 20 ga., a simplified version of the A5 and compared to my two brother's Browning gas operated 20's it's ridiculous. But it fits me and I hit with it so....

And I enjoy my 16 ga A5 just because it's so mechanical. Oh, and the compensator gives you a puff of air in the face, just in case the recoil didn't cause you to flinch.
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

6pt-sika wrote:Gamekeeper , the LC Field Grade with the sleaved barrels is one heck of a shooter it's choked light IC or skeet . I've shot some excellent rounds in skeet with it both with mounted gun and with low gun . The gun however was broken at the wrist long before we bought it and "The Farmer" appears to have used popsicle sticks and copper wire to repair the break and then shellacqued over the whole mess . It certainly isn't a thing of beauty from the wrist back but it somehow seems to shoot nicely when I've had it in my hands .
Shame it suffered a broken stock but at least it still shoots, if the gun has the word "sleeved" on the barrels rather than the flats it was before my time, also most of my work did not require engraving around the join.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Larkbill wrote:Lets just admit it, A5's have an "enhanced recoil" due to the action. I also have a Remington Sportsman 48 in 20 ga., a simplified version of the A5 and compared to my two brother's Browning gas operated 20's it's ridiculous. But it fits me and I hit with it so....

And I enjoy my 16 ga A5 just because it's so mechanical. Oh, and the compensator gives you a puff of air in the face, just in case the recoil didn't cause you to flinch.
Once again recoil is a relative or subjective thing !

After years of being pounded by alot of different things perhaps my perception of recoil is a bit skewed shall we say .

The only problem I have with ANY A=5 or my 16 gauge Rem Model 48 is the fact that you have to pick up the hulls after you shoot . I truely hate loosing 16 gauge hulls !!!!!!
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

A Sweet 16 kicked like a mule? :?: :?: :?:
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

Larkbill wrote:Lets just admit it, A5's have an "enhanced recoil" due to the action. I also have a Remington Sportsman 48 in 20 ga., a simplified version of the A5 and compared to my two brother's Browning gas operated 20's it's ridiculous. But it fits me and I hit with it so....

Sometimes it can be amazing how a good de-greasing of the break system (everything under the forearm) can tame recoil.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Actually, mine is a Stevens 5100. Probably was made 47/48.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Levergunner 1.0

Post by 457121 »

yes and yes. Guns: Winchester M37, M12, M24, Ithaca M37, Browning Auto 5 (STD), Westernfield M30. Load 2 3/4" and 2 1/2" shells.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Old Savage wrote:A Sweet 16 kicked like a mule? :?: :?: :?:
Yes, and Uncle Homer, the US Army Infantry Veteran from WWII, refused to shoot it. He would shoot his Model 12 in 12 gauge all day. I don't know why Uncle Jim's Sweet 16 was so bad, but it was.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Yep...an old Higgins bolt action believe it or not.
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Another Ithaca 37, ca '50s, love it.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Think I have about 5,000 of the Claybuster copy of the WIN AA16 wad and perhaps 2-3 thousand of the REM SP-16 wad .

Really don't need them but I'd like to get my hands on 2 or 3 thousand of the old no longer made REM R-16 wads . Someone sold about 1500 of them on Gunbroker back around Xmas time and I forgot to bid .
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

Yep. Early to mid 50's Winchester model 12 with a solid rib.
Quick to the shoulder and deadly on pheasants.
Bloodhound
Levergunner

Post by Bloodhound »

6pt-sika wrote:
Bloodhound wrote:I shoot a 1948 Winchester Model 12 in 16ga and a 1947 LC Smith Field in 16ga. The Winchester is in pieces right now for a total re-finish...I am sending the metal to Simmons for a solid rib and re-blue and I am refinishing the wood. This project has been a long time in the works and I am getting closer to the completed product a 16ga upland gun.

I do re-load for the 16 on a PW 375C single stage. I don't shoot the 16 at clays much, they are hunting guns so I have no problem keeping up for my needs with a single stage press.
About 25 years ago I picked up a rather nice Winchester Model 12 16 gauge circa 1938 . The gun was field grade with the tootsie roll forend had 28" full choke barrel with a solid rib . This was back when I shot ALOT of skeet and trap . It was great fun to go out on practice nights during the week with others and shoot a straight round on 16 yard trap and then shoot a straight round on skeet . With skeet it was pretty straight forward you either obliterated the bird or missed , there were ni chips and pieces with that gun .

Back then I was also a PW reloader person and had a 375 with two heads , one for 16 gauge and the other for 10 gauge . Wish I had that loader back now with set ups for 2 7/8" 10 gauge as well as 12 , 16 and 20 gauge dies .
I love my model 12...it is a go to gun for bunnies and blue grouse. Its also Full choked, so you have to let them get out there a bit.

The PW press is a great system...I have 12 20 and 16...had 410 but don't own a 410 so I solt the tooling.
Scott

Do Justice
Love Mercy
Walk Humbly With Your GOD
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by t.r. »

I hunt upland game with my Fox 16 gauge double that was inherited from my Grandad. It is exceptionally well balanced and shoots quite well, too. Nope, not for sale.

TR
Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

t.r. wrote:I hunt upland game with my Fox 16 gauge double that was inherited from my Grandad. It is exceptionally well balanced and shoots quite well, too. Nope, not for sale.

TR
How's about at least a picture TR...
Those old Foxy ladies are indeed some fine SxS's...
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

casastahle wrote: Those old Foxy ladies are indeed some fine SxS's...
While I have the Utica A grade 16 I think I'd still like to have a Philly Sterlingworth 16 . Same can be said for a fluid steel Parker preferably a GHE or DHE 8)

Although I certainly wouldn't turn my nose up at a nice VHE or PHE !

About 25 years ago I had a pair of Browning Citori 16 gauge guns . One was an Upland Special with english straight grip stock and 24" Invector choke barrels and the other was the then sandard Citori Lightning with 28" barrels and a round knob pistol grip stock . The Upland Special at the time was my grouse gun and the 28 incher was my dove/sporting clays gun . At the moment I kinda wish I had them BOTH back :roll:
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Bloodhound wrote:
6pt-sika wrote:
Bloodhound wrote:I shoot a 1948 Winchester Model 12 in 16ga and a 1947 LC Smith Field in 16ga. The Winchester is in pieces right now for a total re-finish...I am sending the metal to Simmons for a solid rib and re-blue and I am refinishing the wood. This project has been a long time in the works and I am getting closer to the completed product a 16ga upland gun.

I do re-load for the 16 on a PW 375C single stage. I don't shoot the 16 at clays much, they are hunting guns so I have no problem keeping up for my needs with a single stage press.
About 25 years ago I picked up a rather nice Winchester Model 12 16 gauge circa 1938 . The gun was field grade with the tootsie roll forend had 28" full choke barrel with a solid rib . This was back when I shot ALOT of skeet and trap . It was great fun to go out on practice nights during the week with others and shoot a straight round on 16 yard trap and then shoot a straight round on skeet . With skeet it was pretty straight forward you either obliterated the bird or missed , there were ni chips and pieces with that gun .

Back then I was also a PW reloader person and had a 375 with two heads , one for 16 gauge and the other for 10 gauge . Wish I had that loader back now with set ups for 2 7/8" 10 gauge as well as 12 , 16 and 20 gauge dies .
I love my model 12...it is a go to gun for bunnies and blue grouse. Its also Full choked, so you have to let them get out there a bit.

The PW press is a great system...I have 12 20 and 16...had 410 but don't own a 410 so I solt the tooling.
Back when I had that Model 12 I got all kinds of shall we say strange looks when I'd shoot skeet . Generally I'd go straight and it looked like 25 ink balls in the sky !

I truely love PW loaders . I used 800B's then 800C's for the 12 , 20 , 28 and 410 . And I had the 375 exclusively for the 16 and 10 gauge 3 1/2" . I would really like to get set back up that way , but the 800C's cost me about $2000 then I suspect now they'd be about $3000 to get all four .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

casastahle wrote:Image
I am 100% certain this gun would FEEL BETTER in my safe :lol:

And you can bet your backside that I'd shoot it and hunt it :wink:
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

I think she'll be hanging out with me for a few more years.
Those little 0 frames are hard to come by, and a perfect weight & size
for the 50+ crowd (me) :wink:
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

casastahle wrote:I think she'll be hanging out with me for a few more years.
Dude , you are not alone !

I'll be 53 in two months .

I learned just this AM that I'm getting older . It was about 94 behind the house today and I needed to cut down a rather large tree . I was soaking wet by the time it was down and had drank three bottles of water . Might even have gotten a touch of over heating myself . To be totally honest if I hadn't had a couple of 30 year old friends with me I don't think I would have gotten it down . Next week I'll cut it up (maybe) !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

casastahle wrote:I think she'll be hanging out with me for a few more years.

At some point I'd love to get matching graded Parkers in 10 , 16 and 28 gauge . Actually EH/GH guns in all three would be spectacular . VH would be fine as well but VH grade 10 gauge are kinda hard to come by I think . And since we're going back to EH damascus would be okay as well . I actually already have that little GH damascus 16 so I'm one third of the way there .
Merle
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Merle »

1. AH Fox sxs
2. drilling in16x16x9.3x72R
3. Stevens 510/5100 (?)
4. last remake of Browning sweet 16

I have a Lee loadall & a batch of wads, but have not yet loaded for them.
Merle from PA