The 444 Now Has A Baby Brother!!!!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Win94
Levergunner 2.0

The 444 Now Has A Baby Brother!!!!

Post by Win94 »

Picked up a Ranch Hand in .44 Magnum last week. While i like the idea of a nice handy little carbine, i wasn't to sure how my shooting ability would be with that cutoff buttstock. I picked up a full size buttstock, inletted where it had to be inletted and refinished the original forestock and finished the buttstock to match.... Now i have a Rossi 1892 Trapper style with a barrel that is 12" overall length that i am pretty happy with. :) I'm in Canada. Perfectly legal up here as the firearm is purchased as a Non Restricted rifle up here. Its legal for me to add a full length buttstock.
Will be shooting the 265 grain Hornady that my Marlin .444 shoots. So far it cycles my dummy rounds like snot on glass. :D

Last edited by Win94 on Fri May 23, 2014 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyways" - John Wayne -
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Re: The 444 Now Has A Baby Brother!!!!

Post by Mescalero »

Uh Oh
ethang
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ethang »

Hide your dog.... :o
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

Double uh oh.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I think the way you got that thing it was considered a pistol . When you put the full length buttstock on it , it became a short barreled rifle . Which kinda makes it ILLEGAL !

If I were you I'd take the full length butt back off until I found out for sure about the legal ramifacations .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Win94 wrote:
Picked up a Ranch Hand in .44 Magnum last week.

I picked up a full size buttstock, inletted where it had to be inletted and refinished the original forestock and finished the buttstock to match....

Now i have a Rossi 1892 Trapper style with a barrel that is 12" overall length that i am pretty happy with. :)

I'm sure you'll be happy - that is, until Federal Law Enforcement Officers arrest you, if some local LEO or game warden doesn't do it first.

The reason for the "uh-oh's" is that you are in direct violation of the US Gun Control Act of 1968, and will be subject to any/all of the penalties for doing so.

While you do not have a restricted SBR (short barreled rifle), you have installed a permanent/attached buttstock to a handgun - a big no-no.

From the horse's mouth (BATF): http://www.atf.gov/content/if-person-ha ... fa-firearm

I would strongly advise you take down any pics that you've posted here or elsewhere; restore the config to a handgun; then register/permit it ($200 fee, IIRC), before the rifle buttstock is re-attached, with BATF as an NFA weapon.

Once the BATF approval/permit is received, the buttstock can then be re-installed legally.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/nation ... earms.html

Keep in mind, though, that said registration will most likely make you a person of interest in the event of any Federal crackdowm/changes.

Last edited by Pete44ru on Fri May 23, 2014 9:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

And I thought our laws were dumb..... :roll:
I was thinking about the Henry Mares Leg in .22, if it didn't work out, I would have put a youth stock on it, no problem here.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

game keeper wrote:And I thought our laws were dumb..... :roll:
I was thinking about the Henry Mares Leg in .22, if it didn't work out, I would have put a youth stock on it, no problem here.
You guys can buy suppressor no questions asked where as we need the $200 6 month wait tax stamp !

In most states here we can buy a rifle , pistol or shotgun and get it the same day where as you guys need to jump through hoops and show and actual need/use which takes near as I can figure from some of the other Brits I've talked with anywhere from 3 months to a year .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Win94
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Win94 »

Pete44ru wrote:
Win94 wrote:
Picked up a Ranch Hand in .44 Magnum last week.

I picked up a full size buttstock, inletted where it had to be inletted and refinished the original forestock and finished the buttstock to match....

Now i have a Rossi 1892 Trapper style with a barrel that is 12" overall length that i am pretty happy with. :)

I'm sure you'll be happy - that is, until Federal Law Enforcement Officers arrest you, if some local LEO or game warden doesn't do it first.

The reason for the "uh-oh's" is that you are in direct violation of the US Gun Control Act of 1968, and will be subject to any/all of the penalties for doing so.

While you do not have a restricted SBR (short barreled rifle), you have installed a permanent/attached buttstock to a handgun - a big no-no.

From the horse's mouth (BATF): http://www.atf.gov/content/if-person-ha ... fa-firearm

I would strongly advise you take down any pics that you've posted here or elsewhere; restore the config to a handgun; then register/permit it ($200 fee, IIRC), before the rifle buttstock is re-attached, with BATF as an NFA weapon.

Once the BATF approval/permit is received, the buttstock can then be re-installed legally.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/nation ... earms.html

Keep in mind, though, that said registration will most likely make you a person of interest in the event of any Federal crackdowm/changes.

Ha ha sorry boys, I live in Canada. This firearm is purchased up here as a Non Restricted Rifle. Perfectly legal to put a full length buttstock on. :lol:
Last edited by Win94 on Fri May 23, 2014 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
missionary5155
Levergunner 3.0

Post by missionary5155 »

Good morning
Life sure can be an un-fun calamete ! This is the problem when laws are passed without consent. I wonder if you used a different type of "none screw" attacher... some type of pull pin with no screwdriver needed ? Peobably would invite a wobbly stock problem..
Mike in Peru
A sinner saved by FAITH in the Blood of Jesus Christ &teaching God´s Word in Peru. John 3:36
Tanker 71-74 NRA Life Ready to Defend the Constitution from enemies within and without.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

6pt-sika wrote:
game keeper wrote:And I thought our laws were dumb..... :roll:
You guys can buy suppressor no questions asked where as we need the $200 6 month wait tax stamp !

In most states here we can buy a rifle , pistol or shotgun and get it the same day where as you guys need to jump through hoops and show and actual need/use which takes near as I can figure from some of the other Brits I've talked with anywhere from 3 months to a year .
Everyone knows how dumb our gun laws are, I'm just surprised that you guys live with even dumber ones.
Win94 I'm glad you have the freedom to enjoy your new firearm..... 8)
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

Win94 that is a dandy rifle. I've dreamed of one so please keep us informed on its handling and accuracy in use. I've seen guy's pics of holsters

It was a surprise when that was classified a non-restrict rifle!!!

Why would anyone suggest our gunlaws are less than perfect :evil: ?

I bought a flintlock as they are not classified a firearm, flintlock pistols are!! The insanity is beyond understanding!

Sadly we cannot use suppressors at all.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Rarely do I get jealous of gun laws outside of the US, but here is one perfect case. That is beyond cool. You luck so-and-so!!!
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Very, very (did I say very?) cool. What a dandy little shooter :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Ysabel Kid wrote:Rarely do I get jealous of gun laws outside of the US, but here is one perfect case. That is beyond cool. You luck so-and-so!!!
Oh, we CAN do it allright, but we have to pay The Man $200 for permission to do it. . . :roll:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Win94 wrote:
Ha ha sorry boys, I live in Canada. This firearm is purchased up here as a Non Restricted Rifle. Perfectly legal to put a full length buttstock on. :lol:

Sorry - I didn't decode your "location". . :oops:

ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Looks great to me!! Good going for Canada on that law
so what's the receipt for the wood?

ollogger
Win94
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Win94 »

The buttstock was $104.00 with tax. I was able to buy it at a local gun parts store in Edmonton on my lunch break. Very happy with it. Goin on a road trip tomorrow to buy powder to reload for it. Unfortunately the dealer is only selling 1lb per buyer. We are in the midst of a shortage up here....
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

ollogger wrote:Looks great to me!! Good going for Canada on that law

ollogger
oh heck I spelled recipe wrong, I like the finish on the stock was wondering bout it
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

With the full length butt stock, that looks like a handy little gun. I don't like the looks of them with the mare's leg stock. With that short barrel, I think it would be great in thick woods.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

That looks great :D
I think I can feel my wallet opening :D :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Win94
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Win94 »

ollogger wrote:
ollogger wrote:Looks great to me!! Good going for Canada on that law

ollogger
oh heck I spelled recipe wrong, I like the finish on the stock was wondering bout it

It's a very simple and cheap finish. It's Min Wax walnut coloured stain. 4 coats hand rubbed. I hand rubbed with a rag. 150 grit sand job down to steel wool for the final sanding. The fit was off and I had to contour that as well....
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Well, now speaking of Canada and SBR's - viewtopic.php?f=1&t=59639
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

Ysabel Kid wrote:Rarely do I get jealous of gun laws outside of the US, but here is one perfect case. That is beyond cool. You luck so-and-so!!!
+1
It is not the critic who counts
plowboy 45
Senior Levergunner

Post by plowboy 45 »

YOU GO WIN94, THAT'S 2 COOL!!!
bigbore442001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bigbore442001 »

This may be a silly question but can you use that gun for bear protection in the back country? To me that would be an ideal canoe gun so to speak. One could paddle north on one of the great rivers for the entire summer. Oh here I go day dreaming again.
Win94
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Win94 »

bigbore442001 wrote:This may be a silly question but can you use that gun for bear protection in the back country? To me that would be an ideal canoe gun so to speak. One could paddle north on one of the great rivers for the entire summer. Oh here I go day dreaming again.

yes. Seeing as how its classified as a non restricted rifle, i will be carrying it with its cutoff buttstock in a holster while stream fishing this year. Here is a silvertip grizz that was within 50 yards of me across one of my streams. Carrying for protection isn't an option for me. Its just plain good sense....