Another old gun story

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Another old gun story

Post by jnyork »

Sixgun Jr's story below reminded me of the story of a gun in my possession.

In the early 1920's, my grandfather was the track maintenance foreman for the stretch of railroad track between Lander and Riverton Wyoming, a distance of 25 miles. Pretty tough job in those days as almost all work was by hand, he got up and down the track on one of those little carts with the handle you had to pump up and down to make it go, I dont know the proper name for it. Anyway, while replacing a few spike in the rail one day he happened upon a 1903 Colt Pocket Model, 38ACP, lying in the borrow ditch along the track where someone had tried to get rid of it. It was, and still is, in pretty good shape except for one side which has a few pits from exposure to the elements. It passed to my mother and then many years later to me. It is the reason I became a gun crank. On VJ day, 1945, I was 5 years old, my dad took the pistol out on the back porch and launched a mag full into the sky to celebrate. I thought that was the coolest thing I ever saw and from then on was a total gun nut!! I still take it out and shoot in once a year or so in honor of the previous owners, it is definitely not a target gun but plenty good enough for across the card table! :wink:
spurgon
Levergunner 2.0

Post by spurgon »

What a great story.
JoeArizona
Levergunner 1.0

Post by JoeArizona »

Good to have a story and memory to make the gun special...priceless!
Joe

---

Peter's Laws - Rule #7, "If you can't beat them, join them, then beat them."
neil mitchell
Levergunner 1.0

Post by neil mitchell »

Sixgun jr had pictures with his story .:roll:

Neil
NRA,Disabled Vietnam Veteran
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

neil mitchell wrote:Sixgun jr had pictures with his story .:roll:

Neil
Here it is, I had to white out some info like the serial number, etc, this from my photo inventory stored on my hard drive.

Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Neato! :D I love stories and I bet the 1903 has some to tell before your granddaddy got it. Your right as you say your granddaddy had it rough in the old days working for the RR. I hear those stories from my son who was told by the oldtimers.------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Very cool!!! 8)
airedaleman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by airedaleman »

Don't we all wish that Colt could talk! What a great story, and what a family treasure. Who will get it next?
Riamh Nar Dhruid O Spairn Lann
- motto on the Irish Regiments' flags
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

airedaleman wrote:Don't we all wish that Colt could talk! What a great story, and what a family treasure. Who will get it next?
My stepson. That is, if I still get to keep it after the coming election! :(