Army Wants A Harder Hitting Pistol

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Re: Army Wants A Harder Hitting Pistol

Post by 7.62 Precision »

Definite lack of harmony.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

:roll: :lol: :roll:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
muskeg13
Levergunner

Post by muskeg13 »

They are never going to go back to the 1911 on a large scale. The biggest reason being it would be admitting a mistake and would "look bad" for the "political" side of the military. It would bring embarrassing questions on the 6:00 news.
The Marines have already solved the problem. From now on, call it the M45: http://www.gunworld.com/buyers-guides/g ... bp-part-1/
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

According to my anti-virus, that link above contains a TROJAN. If your anti-virus has expired you might want to pass it by.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

horsesoldier03 wrote:According to my anti-virus, that link above contains a TROJAN. If your anti-virus has expired you might want to pass it by.
This is often the case with gun websites. Google especially will warn people to stay away from gun-related sites for fear of getting a virus or malware. It has happened with sites I was responsible for.
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

I am on GUNSITES all the time, this was the first time it has happened. I use Kaspersky for my anti-virus. Not sure if I clicked on an advertisement on the page by accident, but I did get a couple popups and had to restart my computer before the internet started acting right again. If you don't get a virus, NO WORRIES! :wink:
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
muskeg13
Levergunner

Post by muskeg13 »

Back to the Future. When it comes to combat pistols, the Army should confirm what the Marines already know.

"The RFP stated that the pistol should function with a seven-round .45-caliber magazine the Marine Corps already had in the supply chain (NSN 1005-01-373-2774). This language in the RFP made it clear what pistol Marines were hoping for."

Read more: http://www.gunsandammo.com/reviews/semp ... z37OmtHW6h

http://www.americanrifleman.org/article ... sub=21&q=1

http://www.colt.com/Catalog/Pistols/CQB ... istol.aspx
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

7.62 Precision wrote:
horsesoldier03 wrote:According to my anti-virus, that link above contains a TROJAN. If your anti-virus has expired you might want to pass it by.
This is often the case with gun websites. Google especially will warn people to stay away from gun-related sites for fear of getting a virus or malware. It has happened with sites I was responsible for.
Never forget that the CDC considers Firearms to be a Vector for Disease... so (obviously) your Anti-Virus does as well.

(Not to mention that Anti-Gun Liberal Hackers are fond of (trying to) infect Gun Sites just to attack gunners/steer fence-sitters away...)
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
1894c

Post by 1894c »

Two simple choices--
Gen4 Glock 17 (9mm) the British Army recently chose this to replace their Browning Hi-Power's, and my personal choice
Gen4 Glock 21 (.45ACP), very popular among some LEO's that I know, Glock also made this model with an external safety for the last military pistol trials a few years back... :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

Y'all that think the 1911 platform is a 'simple' pistol should count the parts. Roughly 65. John Browning designed very few simple firearms. Take some apart sometime. And I mean apart. There are about 116 parts in a 97 Winchester. John was not afraid of small and/or intricate parts.

Now take apart a Glock. Any Glock. You're looking at about 35 parts.

Glock 27/23/22 is what I'd pick to take into a fight for a pistol. I cut my teeth on a 1911 (second year production) but the Glock is just a better pistol.

Cat
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Catshooter wrote:Y'all that think the 1911 platform is a 'simple' pistol should count the parts. Roughly 65. John Browning designed very few simple firearms. Take some apart sometime. And I mean apart. There are about 116 parts in a 97 Winchester. John was not afraid of small and/or intricate parts.

Glock 27/23/22 is what I'd pick to take into a fight for a pistol. I cut my teeth on a 1911 (second year production) but the Glock is just a better pistol.

Cat
One thing that cannot be denied (And, I love Glocks) loading that double stack mag is near impossible without that loading tool....That single stack G36 is easy with bare hands, but it too has the same number of rounds as a 1911....

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

BlaineG wrote:

One thing that cannot be denied (And, I love Glocks) loading that double stack mag is near impossible without that loading tool....That single stack G36 is easy with bare hands, but it too has the same number of rounds as a 1911....
They make 'em kinda frail in Washington state... :? :D
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I haver had much trouble loading glock mags without the tool. A couple mags were stiff at first, but after the first couple times loading weren't a problem. Had a 21 for a while which I regret selling, and a 19.

Maybe I'm doing it wrong, I load the glock mags with one thumb on the edge to help guide the rounds, load with the other, they seem to load fairly easily til the last couple, then still go ok with a little extra effort.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

vancelw wrote:
BlaineG wrote:

It's like they say: No Brain, No Pain :P

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Maybe you can buy some pre-loaded magazine at the Wimp Armory :!: :idea:
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

vancelw wrote:Maybe you can buy some pre-loaded magazine at the Wimp Armory :!: :idea:
Pretty bold talk for a one eyed fat man that still has mommy cut the crust off his sammichs.... :lol:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

Catshooter wrote:Y'all that think the 1911 platform is a 'simple' pistol should count the parts. Roughly 65 . . .

Now take apart an M9.

AHHHHHHH! An explosion in a spring factory! Shrapnel and springs scattered everywhere! Every one is a different size! What are these minuscule little steel balls? This part is held in place by the end of a SPRING?!

Someone should have stuck to building shotguns.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

vancelw wrote:
BlaineG wrote:

I agree, to the point that if i am just shooting at the range, i only load 10 rounds in a 15 round magazine

The old Brady bill 10 round magazines were never a problem to top off either

I guess it depends on how thick your thumb calluses are
----- Doug
Mike Hunter
Member Emeritus

Post by Mike Hunter »

65 parts for a 1911 seems a bit high.

I just partially stripped my 1915 vintage military 1911; (so it’s not an A1 or series 80). I came up with 51 parts; and that is including parts of major assemblies which are not normally disassembled by the average soldier: magazine assembly (4) considered expendable by the military, grip screw bushings (4) which are staked in place at the factory or armory, barrel link and pin assy which again are normally staked in place by the factory/armory, as well as the pin in the hammer /hammer strut assy, and sights which are generally not removed in the field.

If you keep the sub-assemblies together as designed you end up with roughly 38 parts, and the mainspring assembly is generally not field stripped (it can be, but not normally), keeping that as a complete assembly you are now down to 34.
So in reality numbers only show part of the picture.

Another cool piece is that you can completely field strip the 1911 with the parts of the gun itself and an empty .45 cal case.
Most of us that had the 1911 in basic were taught how to strip a 1911 in less than 2 minutes, and reassemble the 1911 in less than 2 min, using only the parts of the pistol. Then as privates are known to do, we started doing it blindfolded, which I can still do today (30 years later).

Another cool piece is that in the mid-1980s my BN arms room still had a dozen or so 1911s mixed in with the 1911A1s, so 1911s were still in service, this pistol could very well have seen action in WWI, WWII, Korea or Vietnam, or all of them; every few months I will put a magazine of hardball thru it, just to remind the old girl that she’s still on duty.

I suspect the Colt 1911/A1 is the second most copied pistol (after the Colt SAA), I believe every major pistol manufacturer (except Glock) is making a version of the 1911: Colt, S&W, SIG, Dan Wesson, Ruger, Remington, Kimber, Para etc., that in itself says something.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

BlaineG wrote:
vancelw wrote:Maybe you can buy some pre-loaded magazines at the Wimp Armory :!: :idea:
Pretty bold talk for a one eyed fat man that still has mommy cut the crust off his sammichs.... :lol:
Who told ya? :?

Seriously, I have never had an issue loading Glock Mags.

Ruger MK II automatic .22 magazines are a different story.... A long range session will definitely leave me with a sore thumb. I bought a little loading assistant once, not sure where it is. (been to long since I shot my Ruger auto I guess :oops: )
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Heck, by the end of a day shooting a SASS Wild Bunch match, my thumb is sore from loading 1911 mags! At 4-6 mags per stage, and 6 stages, it usually means you've loaded about 30 mags during the day. I just wish they weren't such sticklers about plain floor plates. If I could use my bump pad equipped mags, I'd have enough for both my boy & myself to shoot all 6 stages without refillin' a single mag! As it is, I can only shoot about ½ a match! But if you like shootin' a 1911, you'll get plenty of that!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

vancelw wrote:
BlaineG wrote:
vancelw wrote:Maybe you can buy some pre-loaded magazines at the Wimp Armory :!: :idea:
Who told ya? :?

Seriously, I have never had an issue loading Glock Mags.

Ruger MK II automatic .22 magazines are a different story.... A long range session will definitely leave me with a sore thumb. I bought a little loading assistant once, not sure where it is. (been to long since I shot my Ruger auto I guess :oops: )
:lol: Ok..seriously...I load my Ruger MKII with ease (I use thumbnail to push the thingy down). I'll match grip with about anyone, but I can't load those double stacks with out a tool, but can load the 1911s all day...go figger...there must be tricks involved...

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

Mike,

The fact that you can strip a 1911 with just an empty case shows Johns true genius. I'm serious. That's not an easy thing to do and I love it. You need minimal tools to strip a Glock, but you still need 'em.

Blaine,

I use mostly the older non-drop free mags in my Glocks. They load easy. The mags for my 45 GAP at first are very tough to load but they get better with use.

Cat