How would you trim hundreds of .243 and .308 to 1.2" Length?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
zzr7ky
Levergunner 1.0

How would you trim hundreds of .243 and .308 to 1.2" Length?

Post by zzr7ky »

Hi -

Being a muzzle loading and single action type I haven't trimmed cases to length before.

I need to trim a few hundred .243 and .308 to 1.2" Length. Making up some M15 .45ACP shotshells.

I have no case trimming gear but do have Lathe, drill press and asociated implements of destruction.

What would you do? I'll likely need to trim rifle brass in the future.

Thanks,
Mike P
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Re: How would you trim hundreds of .243 and .308 to 1.2" Len

Post by Thunder50 »

Lots of people that make 300 blackout brass from 5.56 brass, use one of the little harbor freight chop saws to cut the brass
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Just spit balling here...
Lee used to make custom things for customers, I don't know if they do any more BUT if they do you could have them make up a custom case length gauge to use with these goodies http://leeprecision.com/3-jaw-chuck.html & http://leeprecision.com/case-spinner-stud.html
And if you have a Jacobs chuck to use in your tailstock maybe you could use a 3/16" - 1/2" step drill for roughing out then go to the custom tool Lee will hopefully make for you... Let us know what you come up with & Good luck
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Thunder50 wrote:Lots of people that make 300 blackout brass from 5.56 brass, use one of the little harbor freight chop saws to cut the brass

+1 - It's burdensome to trim cases back more than a few thousandths, nevermind several dozen to a MUCH more shorter length.

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Do you have access to a metal cutting band saw? If yes, then can you cobble together a way to hold several cases and cut them in a single pass? If you cut them to almost the length you need, then a Lee trimmer or some sort of case trimmer could then trim them to the right length. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/352653 ... ase-holder
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Use your lathe.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Mescalero wrote:Use your lathe.
+1. Or use a small copper pipe cutter. Just don't try to cut 'em with one pass you'll crush 'em. Use the lathe to ream the inside of the case mouths and do a final trim.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by walks with gun »

Sometimes just plunging things in cold water will shorten them.-
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Sell them and use the money to buy something that is closer to the spec you require.

... Unless you just want to do the cut and trim work for the experience of doing it.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I was looking for information on making .300 Blackout brass on youtube. One video showed loading a string of brass in a wood block with holes drilled in it then running the edge of the block past a bandsaw.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
J35
Levergunner 3.0

Post by J35 »

zzr7ky wrote:Hi -

Being a muzzle loading and single action type I haven't trimmed cases to length before.

I need to trim a few hundred .243 and .308 to 1.2" Length. Making up some M15 .45ACP shotshells.

I have no case trimming gear but do have Lathe, drill press and asociated implements of destruction.

What would you do? I'll likely need to trim rifle brass in the future.

Thanks,
Mike P
I have done a couple hundred with a hacksaw and the form and trim die that came with 45 acp shotshell die set i have.

I also used a small tubing cutter and a cordless drill with the Lee power lock stud and shell holder that are used with their shell trim kits to do another couple hundred.

I also have a Forster original case trimmer kit that i am very happy with for general case trimming.

I have had my 45 acp shotshell dies for 12 -15 years and the only time I have really lost any cases to speak of is when shooting off the tractor while bush-hogging.

Remington 308 brass is the best for shot shell's in my experience due to the thinner case walls, after the necks are formed a Rem. .410 wad will slide thru the neck with out deforming the gas seal.

------J
Last edited by J35 on Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keep The Peace, Love and Harmony, These are the Gold Nuggets, All Else Is Sand !!
J35
Levergunner 3.0

Post by J35 »

FWiedner wrote:Sell them and use the money to buy something that is closer to the spec you require.

... Unless you just want to do the cut and trim work for the experience of doing it.

:)
About the only thing out there closer to spec that I am aware of is the 44 auto mag or the 45 Win mag.

In my case all the brass I consume for shotshells are range pick-ups = free.

Once you work out a system, cutting the brass is the easy part.

-------J
Keep The Peace, Love and Harmony, These are the Gold Nuggets, All Else Is Sand !!
zzr7ky
Levergunner 1.0

Post by zzr7ky »

Thanks so much for the detailed information.

I'm using a tubing cutter to get a handful for load development.

I'm planning to use a carbide .41 Mag die as I can't locate a custom or factory die. I do have a 45ACP case gauge so I'll know where to set the die for height.

Mike :D
H_Talon
Levergunner 2.0

Post by H_Talon »

maybe this would help you ...

http://avr-developers.com/45shotshell/
perry owens
Levergunner 3.0

Post by perry owens »

I use the harbor Freight mini chop saw to cut 50-70 brass down to 56-50 Spencer.

I made the holding jig from scrap aluminium. The Spencer is very particular about COL so I finish them all in a Forster trimmer.

Perry Owens
"Always carry a firearm east of Aldgate Watson."
Mike Hunter
Member Emeritus

Post by Mike Hunter »

You have a lathe, use it.

If I were doing it, I would use the tailstock as a stop, use a cut-off tool in the lathe. It might take a trial run on one or two cases, but once you have the exact measurement down, lock the carrage and use the cross slide to cut... too easy.

Once set up it should take you no time to trim them all down with some precision.

V/R

Mike