OT - Glenfield Mdl 60

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

OT - Glenfield Mdl 60

Post by J Miller »

Many, many, many, summers ago I owned a Marlin Glenfield Mdl 60 .22 semi auto rifle. It was an older version with the pot metal feed unit and since I bought it used it soon quit ejecting. I found the ejector which was cast into the feed throats battered to death.
I called Marlin and they told me there was an update and which parts I needed to correct that problem. I ordered the parts, cleaned the action really good when I installed them, then proceeded to shoot the living bejeebers out of it. That is till it was stolen in 1977. It was later recovered by the Phoenix PD and I got it back. It was stolen again in 1978 and I never saw it again. At that point it went on my "Guns to replace" list.

A couple days ago I found one at a local gun store. It's filthy, has some surface rust on the barrel, and it has a humongous 3x9 power 1" scope mounted on it. I didn't get the brand.
The stock is the same as my old one; hardwood with the squirrel on the pistol grip, and it's in decent to good shape.
The action is the later one with the last round bolt hold open in it.

The price is $90.00. Now I couldn't care less about the scope. I might keep it, I could sell it, or I can use it. It doesn't matter.

I'm just considering grabbing this Marlin while it's hot. I know the price is pretty close to what Wal-Mart is selling the new ones for, but ........ this one is not a Marlin, it's a Glenfield like my old one. To me, for some silly reason, it makes a difference.

I am crazy for contemplating this? I've got the money in my pocket, but like always, it's got a dozen hands reaching for it.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Dirty Dan
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Dirty Dan »

I wouldn't give a nickel for it, but that is just me. I don't have a back porch to shoot off of and I already have 3, 22s that don't get much use.

Growing up was a different story. I had the time, the place and the desire. Plus I had a grandmother that owned a "little country store" who provided my 22 and 410 ammo for a Savage O/U. I still think I killed more with that gun than all the others I have owned, combined.

Too bad I traded it.
Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you. - John Steinbeck
runfiverun
Levergunner 2.0

Post by runfiverun »

i like those glenfields
if they work they shoot everything.
when they dont they dont.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Nostalgia is a powerful influence, isn't it? I wouldn't think ill of you for buying that gun. :wink:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
morgan in nm
Levergunner 3.0

Post by morgan in nm »

If you like it, buy it. After all, its your money. I personaly like the glenfield. I wish I had one now but unfortunately, there aint many around here. Had to settle for a Marlin. You may not believe this but I have seen them sell locally for as high as $175 :shock:
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

I think I would head over to the nearest WALMART and buy me a brand new one. Every OLD gun was NEW at one time! I wont support gun shops that want new prices for older firearms!
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I've had one of those since the late 70's when my Father bought it for me at an Estate Auction. I remember that he paid $60.00 for it back then. It was more that he wanted to pay, but he knew it was exactly what I wanted. That is one of very few firearms that I know will certainly never leave me, for that little rifle that holds so many memories of growing up with my Dad.

Buy it Joe. You might even be able to haggle them down a little.
meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by meanc »

Buy it Joe,

You won't regret it. Keep the scope on it and get you some cheap Federal 22s and shoot the heck out of it. :D

I've got a Winchester 190 semi and my friend has a Glenfield. Both shoot amazingly well, and with scopes we easily have killed squirrels out to 75-80yds.
...and I don't think he even knows it...Walks around with a half-assed grin...If he feels fear, he don't show it. Just rides into hell and back again.
TCB in TN
Levergunner 2.0

Re: OT - Glenfield Mdl 60

Post by TCB in TN »

J Miller wrote:Many, many, many, summers ago I owned a Marlin Glenfield Mdl 60 .22 semi auto rifle. It was an older version with the pot metal feed unit and since I bought it used it soon quit ejecting. I found the ejector which was cast into the feed throats battered to death.
I called Marlin and they told me there was an update and which parts I needed to correct that problem. I ordered the parts, cleaned the action really good when I installed them, then proceeded to shoot the living bejeebers out of it. That is till it was stolen in 1977. It was later recovered by the Phoenix PD and I got it back. It was stolen again in 1978 and I never saw it again. At that point it went on my "Guns to replace" list.

A couple days ago I found one at a local gun store. It's filthy, has some surface rust on the barrel, and it has a humongous 3x9 power 1" scope mounted on it. I didn't get the brand.
The stock is the same as my old one; hardwood with the squirrel on the pistol grip, and it's in decent to good shape.
The action is the later one with the last round bolt hold open in it.

The price is $90.00. Now I couldn't care less about the scope. I might keep it, I could sell it, or I can use it. It doesn't matter.

I'm just considering grabbing this Marlin while it's hot. I know the price is pretty close to what Wal-Mart is selling the new ones for, but ........ this one is not a Marlin, it's a Glenfield like my old one. To me, for some silly reason, it makes a difference.

I am crazy for contemplating this? I've got the money in my pocket, but like always, it's got a dozen hands reaching for it.

Joe
Now personally I like the old Glenfields, they are great old guns and I like the history much better than a "new" one. Not that the new Marlins are not good. An ok used scope is worth $15 to $50 depending and if it was in good shape I would certainly give $75 or less for the mdl 60 so I would get it.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Junior has a page about the Marlins on his website on how to disasemble them. There's also quite a following of them over on rimfirecentral.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Go ahead and get it J Miller.

I much prefer used firearms to new ones because many of the things I like aren't made anymore. And if they are still made, they aren't made like they used to be. Plus, I like the memories they hold and the new ones I can add to it.
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Post by deerwhacker444 »

"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

deerwhacker444,

Thanks for the links. Both of those are about the same as the one I looked at.
But they are not here. And I won't buy guns from an out of state auction. Just goes against my grain to buy something based on pictures and text.

I sorta gotta take a look see first.

Besides, by the time I tack on shipping and transfer charges I'm right up to where I am with the one I posted about.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
ernest haycox
Levergunner

Post by ernest haycox »

I would if it was me.You can spend 90 bucks on a gun or just blow it on bills!then when the bill is paid the missing gun will haunt you.It's funny,when i was a kid every 22 i ever had was a Marlin or Glenfield Mdl.60.I wanted a Winchester leveraction like the Rifleman had,naturally.But all my guns were reliable and very accurate.Marlin is the workingman's gun and i sure like them.
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

Joe,

If I were you I would grab it! 90 Bucks is 90 Bucks, but it sounds to me like there may be some "memories gone by" to be had in this 90 dollar rifle. You can replace the 90 bucks by staying at home doing yard work for 1 weekend instead of going somewhere.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

You can replace the 90 bucks by staying at home doing yard work for 1 weekend instead of going somewhere.
Me ...... do yard work???? HAH!, not while there's poison ivy growing in it. If you remember August of of '06 I got a very severe case of it. STILL got the scars on my arms.

So, until we can KILL all this hideous stuff, the neighbor kid who is immune to it does the yard work.

As for getting that rifle, I'm fighting with myself. I want it, but .................

Joe
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

J Miller,your story reminds me that it is never too late..GET THE GUN. :wink:(unless the gun is already sold :cry: !)
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
Dyerbill
Levergunner

Post by Dyerbill »

A couple of Sundays ago me and two buddies went plinkin' on a neat little spot on the Kankakee river. ALL three of us had an older Glenfield.

JUMP on it! 8)
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Dyerbill wrote:A couple of Sundays ago me and two buddies went plinkin' on a neat little spot on the Kankakee river. ALL three of us had an older Glenfield.

JUMP on it! 8)
Where on earth did you find a place to go plinking in IL? I've been here since 99 and still haven't found anyplace but gun ranges.

Joe
Dyerbill
Levergunner

Post by Dyerbill »

It's in Indiana you know the free state. lol :wink:
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Dyerbill wrote:It's in Indiana you know the free state. lol :wink:
Yeah, I kinda thought that, but I just had to ask. Where abouts in IN?

Joe
Dyerbill
Levergunner

Post by Dyerbill »

Kankakee Marsh I65 and Rte.10

Sorry I had to go to work this morning
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

J Miller wrote:

As for getting that rifle, I'm fighting with myself. I want it, but .................

Joe
I know the feeling well Joe, same feeling was with me strong today as a matter of fact. Couldn't fight the feeling, the rifle came home with me. Hope I don't get poison Ivy out of it.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

To be honest, I have never been fond of the Model 60's. I've had them and shot with friends who've had them for many years, and they seemed finicky and prone to jamb. To a kid that's not a problem really as it worked much more than it jammed. As I get older though my standards have been raised....need a gun that will go bang every time. That said, my beloved Ruger 10/22 which has fired countless thousands of round jammed on me recently to where I had to disassemble it to get the bolt unstuck.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

C. Cash wrote:To be honest, I have never been fond of the Model 60's. I've had them and shot with friends who've had them for many years, and they seemed finicky and prone to jamb. To a kid that's not a problem really as it worked much more than it jammed. As I get older though my standards have been raised....need a gun that will go bang every time. That said, my beloved Ruger 10/22 which has fired countless thousands of round jammed on me recently to where I had to disassemble it to get the bolt unstuck.
Mine, had problems with jamming too. At first. These problems were traced to the feed throat. The early ones were made of some kind of pot metal and the ejector was a prong cast into the top of it. As you shot the gun the cartridges would wear the inside of the feed throat and at the same time they would batter the ejector prong to a nubbin. At that point the feeding became fickle and the gun wouldn't eject.
I found out that Marlin had reengineered that part to a two piece feed throat with a spring steel ejector, and the new parts were sold to retro fit the older rifles. That is what I did with mine.

After that it ceased jamming and failing to eject. I never did get it dirty enough to jam after that. And boy did I get it dirty a bunch of times.

Each gun is a rule unto itself, so I suppose some of them can be problematic, but it's not enough to for me to worry about.
If I want a gun that is pretty much jam proof, I'll use my 9422. Semi autos are called jam-a-matics for a reason.

Joe
H_Talon
Levergunner 2.0

Post by H_Talon »

the first gun I ever owned was a mod 60 ... and I still have it and the second
gun I ever owned .. a ruger MK1

and I'll never give them up .. I even shoot it once in a while,

yes I have lots of other 22's but none give me the feeling I get when
I have the mod 60 in hand ... and it probably has 10,000 + rounds through
it .. btw I got it in 1971 new ...

if you want it get it ...

Talon
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Well, Joe, my local slobbershop is selling one for $125 cash price but they want a full $150 if you use plastic! Makes yours look pretty inexpensive. :wink:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
jazman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jazman »

Heck, sounds like a good deal to me, if you want it go get that baby Joe! Anything that brings back good memories is a good thing in my book.
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly"