I'm a Wicked Good Shooter!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rbertalotto
Senior Levergunner

I'm a Wicked Good Shooter!

Post by rbertalotto »

Here's my story......

NO...I've not been out shooting cowboys!

I've always been a "Gun Nut". When I was a kid I had a Daisy Model 1892 Winchester BB gun. My parents wallpapered my bedroom with paper that had Deer, Bears, Elk, Wolves, Coyotes and other North American game animals on it. They thought it was cute and "boyish". I thought it was targets of opportunity! I would spend hours dry firing that BB gun on great imaginary hunting trips. My good friend at the time, Mike, convinced me that we could remove the various hanging pictures and actually shoot the BB gun at the animals behind! Hang the pictures back up and no one would be the wiser. Brilliant!.......Until I became a teenager and my mom decided to re-paper the room....Yeooo...Did I catch hell from her for that...(My Dad thought it was brilliant! Laughed his a## off, he did!)

Anyhow, 55 or so years later, and after shooting just about every shooting sport you can name, I fall into a deal for a Marlin 1894 in 45LC and the seller said "It was ready for Cowboy Action Shooting".....Ready for WHAT!....I did some research and realized that it might be fun at the age of 60+ to dress up like a cowboy and shoot guns! I attended my first match two years ago. Just to scope it out. Not going to join or anything like that.................Yea, Right!

Now I own over 20 Lever action rifles, six sets of leather....four sets of pistols.......three hats....and four funny looking shirts! Oh, and a goofy cart to haul all this stuff around in. My family and neighbors think I've lost it. They keep asking me if I'd like to take a ride out into the country........

I'm a pretty good shot with a gun. I was extremely competitive in IHMSA, IDPS, Egg Shoots, High Power, etc. CAS would be a snap. Cripe!..The targets are only 6 feet away. Who could miss that!....My first few shoots were quite humbling to say the least!

I went from rifle to rifle and pistol to pistol trying to find the Holy Grail..1873-1858-1875-1860 Pistols....1892-1873-1860-1866 Rifles.....Pump-Side By Side shotguns.....

I finally settled on a pair of 1860 converted Colts shooting Cowboy 45 Special brass with both Smokeless and Black Powder.

For a rifle the 1866 in 38-40 was the ticket. Great accuracy with both smokeless and black powder. And that thin brass really seals the chamber and keeps the action clean.

Shotgun is either a 1897 or a SKB SXS, depending on the target situation.

My scores were always right about the middle of the pack. Lots of misses and a "P" here and there. Friends that I've met at the various shoots would watch me shoot and said I had the basics down, but I needed to practice my transitions and slow down just a bit and my scores would go up (or down....if we are talking time here)

So this year that is exactly what I did.....

A couple weeks ago I shot at the Ledyard CT monthly match on Saturday and had a clean match.....But I earned a "P" by going the wrong way with the rifle.......The next day I shot a match at the Harvard MA club and missed the first target on the first stage with a pistol.....The rest of the day I shot clean...So far, 12 stages with one miss. And pretty good times for a Senior shooter.

The following weekend was the three day Great Nor'Easter up in New Hampshire. I've never had a good three day match. Something always goes wrong with my equipment, my loads, or my brain (Last year I forgot to put powder in 50 rounds I had with me!)

This year was to be different..........equipment was checked, guns in perfect working order, brain functioning as good as I could expect. Large bowl of Wheaties for breakfast!

12 stages.....CLEAN! ...and reasonable good times (But I "P"ed on one stage at the end of the second day. Stupid mistake!....

I came in Second in the Senior class........Man I was one proud camper......although with so many fine shooters at a big event like this I didn't think anyone noticed. I drove the two hours home with a big smile on my face. I told my family.....Yawwwn....:confused:

24 stages in two weekends with 1 miss was an all time high for me. Those two darn "P"s keep me out of the money......

But wait!....someone did notice. Look what I received in the mail today:

I couldn't believe it................An AWARD!

And a belt buckle......A real honest to goodness Cowboy Action Belt Buckle!!!!

Right there is says I'm a "Wicked Good Shooter".........Who could ask for more!

Yup, I really like this CAS stuff.............Great folks, great fun, great guns!
Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
www.rvbprecision.com
BrentD

Post by BrentD »

Hey Congratulations! I know exactly what you are talking about and I know exactly how you felt. it is a great feeling and all the better because you planned and worked hard to get it. Good shooting is no accident, especially in multi-day matches. These days don't come along all that often - which means they feel all that much better - and also that you must really enjoy them when they do.

Congrats again.

Brent
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Re: I'm a Wicked Good Shooter!

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Yup, been there, doing that. I am not as good at as you but having as much fun,I bet!!
8) 8) 8)
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Congrats,
From a guy who survived a 3 day National Championship.
plowboy 45
Senior Levergunner

Post by plowboy 45 »

Congratulations
Good shootin
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Congratulations.... :D
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

We're proud of ya.... 8)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Sounds like a lot of fun & a award to boot!!!
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

That really is something to be proud of, congratulations.

Now for the belt buckle... Frame it or wear it?

It sure is pretty.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Gascozark
Levergunner

Post by Gascozark »

Good job and CONGRATS! :D

Also, I like your revolvers. The 1860 grip frame feels better to me than the SAA. I never could figure out why the Colt grip frame got smaller after the 1860...
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Man that's great shootin'. Ain't nothing more fun than a good 3 day match. I used to always shoot Land Run at OK City and the Show Me Shootout in Branson MO. Like you said, great fun with great people.
Gotta get me a pair of converted armies.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

:evil: Suppository Shooters! :twisted: The bane of good Cap-n-Ball designs! I mean really... have some balls... shoot 'em the way Samuel & Eliphalet originally designed 'em! :twisted: Tirade off.

Good shootin Roy. (Golly, that could have been a line from a movie....)!! :P :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

yee-haw
congrats and thanks for the photos.
rbertalotto
Senior Levergunner

Post by rbertalotto »

shoot 'em the way Samuel & Eliphalet originally designed 'em!
I like it! Gonna have this printed and made into bumper stickers!
Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
www.rvbprecision.com
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Congratulations. Sounds like it was a lot of fun.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

Tough to decide: frame the buckle or wear it nonstop ;)
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
w30wcf
Senior Levergunner

Post by w30wcf »

Roy,
Great guns!
Great shooting, you "Wicked Good Shooter!!

W30wcf
aka John Kort
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka w44wcf (black powder)
NRA Life member
.22 WCF, .30 WCF, .44 WCF Cartridge Historian
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

Well Done
It is not the critic who counts
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

rbertalotto wrote: Image
I like that SKB !

I remember when Ithaca was importing them back in the mid to late 70's and called them the model 280 I believe . With the English stock they could be had in 12 gauge or 20 gauge .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !