new wheelgun !(found a bargain too-scroll down)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

new wheelgun !(found a bargain too-scroll down)

Post by Streetstar »

Just aquired a Smith 19-5 2 1/2"

It is definitely in "shooter" condition finish wise ----- The seller was asking $550 for it (the price of any pre-lock full size short barrel revolver is stupid high if they are in great condition )

--- I didnt have 550, but i had a Glock .40 cal that i despised (its a fine gun, and i have other Glocks, - but my hands dont fit this one and the finger grooves are always in the wrong spot )
---- I actually wanted a 2.5" K frame more than common sense dictated, so i offered him my Glock plus a c-note
--- yes, i could have realized more by selling the Glock outright elsewhere, but by then , this snubbie would have been gone

I can't say the gun looks abused -- but definitely neglected ---- the flip side is there is absolutely no flame cutting on the top strap and the timing and lockup are like a new one ! turnline is even minimal --- it must have just spent a great deal of time bouncing around someone's glovebox or something like that

Any idea on how to minimize the appearance of the freckling on this one?

The grips are not that great , so a set of round butt Magnas will be in order as soon as i can

Some folks may say i got "hosed" on trading a gen 4 Glock plus money for this --- but hey, i am the one smiling (and hopefully the other guy is too) --- because i will actually use this rascal --- i may have valued a -5 a bit high, but i just dont come across the short barrel guns that often

--gone and soon to be long forgotten ! --

Smith 19-5 1982 or 83 era , not pinned

As i mentioned --- its not the prettiest, but i suspect the round count is low --- i may have been shaving it pretty close on the nitty gritty financial details of my trade, but this morning, i am still smiling :)
Last edited by Streetstar on Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
----- Doug
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Re: No new levers, but a new wheelgun !

Post by Mescalero »

It is going to be LOUD.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

A close shave is usually desirable... so long as you didn't get nicked enough to bleed I thing it was a heck of a deal.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Nice; I like the real Pachmayr's.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Big 45 Frontier Metal Cleaner ( http://www.frontiermetalcleaner.com/ ) should clean the freckling up nice, w/o effecting the remaining blue.

TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Some very fine steel wool and a little light oil, and I'd bet most of that freckling will disappear. I bought a S&W 18 a while back that had some similar freckling, and cleaned it up to where I had forgot it was even like that till I saw your photos. Far as the trade? Your new revolver will gain value as time goes by, I don't see the same thing happening with the Glock. As long as you are the one smiling, that's all that matters anyway.
NRA Life Member
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

That sounds like a good trade, and like Ted said some 4-0000 steel wool and light oil will make it look new.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

I had Glocks & I've had 19s you did good for sure, what Ted said on the freckles
try a small spot on the cyl. first if your nervous

ollogger
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Have it hard chromed.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

1894c

Post by 1894c »

aaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh...a S&W Model 19/66 with a 2.5" barrel is my all-time favorite revolver (I remember qualifying with that baby)...let my last M-66 go when I transitioned to Glock in 1996... Streetstar--that old boy can be easily restored...I'd say you did a good trade... :)
Last edited by 1894c on Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1894c

Post by 1894c »

Mescalero wrote:It is going to be LOUD.
LOUD is good...a great wake-up call for the rest of the "great un-washed"... :)
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

A 2.5" 19-5 is my town CCW gun. I really prefer magnas to any other grip. I'd make the same trade as you did any day of the week.

Eric
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

Great deal, I always did like the feel of those. You might consider CERAKOTE I have had a couple done and they are holding up very well.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It is not the critic who counts
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

As long as you're happy with the trade don't worry about what anyone says. They aren't making any more 19's. Yours also seems to have a combat trigger and hammer, that's an upgrade.

You will do better with .38+Ps than with .357s though. The 2.5" barrel doesn't have enough length on the extractor rod to fully punch out a .357 case. The cases will try to hang up. I love those K frame snubs.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Rusty wrote:As long as you're happy with the trade don't worry about what anyone says. They aren't making any more 19's. Yours also seems to have a combat trigger and hammer, that's an upgrade.

You will do better with .38+Ps than with .357s though. The 2.5" barrel doesn't have enough length on the extractor rod to fully punch out a .357 case. The cases will try to hang up. I love those K frame snubs.
That's reason #2 why I like my 2.5" Ruger more than the (admittedly nicer) Smiths.

Reason #1 is 1200fps 190gr Solids (that's 1200 out of the 2.5"... it's 1800+ from the rifle.) won't batter a Ruger to death.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Thanks for the positive comments guys ----- as levergun fans , i know a lot of us are also wheelgun fans too

but whereas a Schofield or a Colt SAA or clone reminds me of ridin' the range ---- a mean little 2.5" K Frame or anything similar reminds me of 70's cop movies ---- Frank Serpico , or Bud White from LA Confidential with his holdout piece --- I like 'em :)

That said --- i also stumbled upon a deal on some K frames at bargain basement prices on police trade ins - 200 bucks plus shipping Smith Model 64 -5 and -6's

Duty gun trade ins from Brinks Armored security ---- they are good revolvers for 200 bucks no doubt , they are all likely made in the early to mid 90's
Grips are worn, and some have some sideplate scratching and things, but they are stainless and will buff out with some Flitz --- but the ones i saw looked as good as some i have seen guys on Armslist and Gunbroker trying to get $350 for

--- what hurts is she also had some 2" snubs she sold for $275 --- [%|] ouch --- missed out on those by about a week she said

Sporting Arms in Lewisville, tx Ph: (972) 315-9086 | Fax: (972) 315-9081
The ladies name is Becky and she is super cool to deal with

I did partake a bit --- and am on brady delay :x :oops: --- but i am at the point where i cannot buy anymore unless i sell or trade --- so i couldnt clean them out --- even if i could though , at a certain point , it seems more like hoarding since they are basic DAO .38 Specials

They all look about like this one and are round butt models --- make a cool project gun or for me - a safe room gun i dont have to worry too much about

She only had about ten left today , and she said some guys have been buying them in multiples ---- so call quick if interested :)

----- Doug
BobM
Levergunner 2.0

Re: new wheelgun !(found a bargain too-scroll down)

Post by BobM »

Looks like a good trade to me, 2 1/2 19s and 66s don't seem all that available.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Being a " nearly" unarmed Limey, I'm very envious... :mrgreen: I'd be over the moon if I could even have a rusty Iver Johnson Cadet.... :roll:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Nice 19 Smith.

You gotta love S&W revolvers. I'da traded too. Way more soul than a Glock and you can always get another one of those.

I have an old pinned and recessed model 66 that I really enjoy to carry and shoot. I'd love to have another in a 3" round butt but the prices are scary. :shock:
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

I would take a S&W 19 over a .40 cal Glock anyday! $550 might seem high, but that is typically what a 4" goes for, most 2.5" are closer to $650 that I have seen.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

OldWin wrote:I have an old pinned and recessed model 66 that I really enjoy to carry and shoot. I'd love to have another in a 3" round butt but the prices are scary. :shock:
I have one also. Best SA trigger of any handgun I own. I made meat with it but don't consider it a great deer gun. Made one of the best shots I ever have made with that gun. It's a keeper.

Grizz
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

If you want to ensure the gun stays rustfree in the future, get a Sentry Solutions Tuf-Cloth.

Wipe down the whole gun with it about every six months. It bonds with the metal. Been using them for going on 12 years, both civilian, military, home and deployed. Even in extremely high humidity enviroments, no rust.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Love that version of the model 19.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

If it's in my safe, got a cylinder, and is double action it says S&W on it somewhere. If I only had all the wonderful old models I've traded off or sold over the years......

IMHO:

The best patrol revolver ever made: 4" S&W Model(s) 13, 19, 65, and 66

The best under a coat concealment revolver: 3" S&W Models 13 and 65. If you can find one of the scarce "Secret Service" model 3" 66's grab it. I like the 3" guns over the 2.5" because they have a full-length ejector rod.

The best IWB or ankle concealment revolver: S&W Model 640 stretch-frame .357. A very compact hand cannon that's still manageable as long as you keep the bullet weight at 125grs or lighter.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.