.44 Mag 250 GR. PTHP

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Iron_Marshal
Levergunner 2.0

.44 Mag 250 GR. PTHP

Post by Iron_Marshal »

I just bought a box of Winchester 250 GR. Platinum Tip Hollow Points for my .44 Mag.

Has anyone used these for hunting? The bullet has striations along the tip which weaken the casing to aid in expansion. I use duty ammo at work that is made the same way. Over the years I have been issued Black Talon, Gold Dot and now Gold Saber ammo. The round is shown on the box to be used for deer but it seems like a nice defensive round as well. I am concerned about over penetration and wonder if the hollow point will even expand fast enough in a human target. I don't know the stats on this round. Any thoughts?
Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter.
Ernest Hemingway, "On the Blue Water," Esquire, April 1936
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Sounds like a good bullet design. I use the Federal HSTs and they have the same stridations on the bullet to assist in expansion. IMHO, the term .44 mag means more to me as far as power goes than the term platinum. Copper and lead have always proved to be lethal in my opinion. However, I do like nickel brass.
95fan
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 95fan »

Before those came out, I was pleased to take part in some of the demonstrations that winchester was doing for the shooting industry. We shot 44mag, 45lc, and 454 into ballistic gelatin at a distance of 25 and 50yards. IIRC at 25 all opened up within 8" of impact. The 44 and the 45lc both stayed within the 16" gel block. the 454 was a passthrough on all shots fired. The bullet is one of a fantastic design for hollow-points as it has a bunch of razor sharp petals that unfold and create massive damage.
A perfect day can only be achieved while hunting