Who is it that makes pistol grips?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

I have a small quantity of wood with some historical significance that really should become revolver grips.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Who is it that makes pistol grips?

Post by TedH »

I'm probably wrong, but Pete44ru comes to mind.
NRA Life Member
JHarold
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JHarold »

how about Chuck 100 yd. ?
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I make grips for Ruger single actions, the only patterns I have right now.
Last year I made a set for a fellow who had an old Herters .41 Power Mag. He sent me his old cracked plastic grips to copy and I roughed out a pair for him to finish.
What kind of wood do you have?
Here is a picture of the duplicator I made to rough them out on. There is still lots of hand work to do on them after they come off the duplicator but it does save a lot of work.
A finished pair.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

TedH wrote:I'm probably wrong, but Pete44ru comes to mind.

Thanks for the reference, Ted - You're correct, but I only make them for myself. :oops:

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Chuck 100 yd wrote: Image
That's pretty cool. Where do you get the stuff (like axles and mounts and bearings, etc.) to make stuff like that...?
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

Chuck 100 yd wrote: What kind of wood do you have?
Well, it is probably not the best wood for grips, but has a history that makes all the difference.

I also have a bunch of the most beautiful maple.

I will send a PM.

Also, would you consider building and selling a similar duplicator? I would like send one out to a guy to use for making ivory grips. I can't touch the raw ivory myself, due to restrictions - it must be worked before being sold.This way, he would be doing the work and making the profit himself. One of the problems with the ivory is that the middlemen make all of the profit now.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

AJMD429 , The base is 3/4" oak plywood. The shafting is 3/4" drill rod and the pillow block bearings and shafting mounts I bought through Amazon. The rest came from my scrap box. The 1/4" trim router came from Harbor Freight and is clamped to aluminum angle iron using IIRC 3" muffler clamps.
What you cant see in the picture is a plastic wheel (behind the router) that supports the end of the cross carriage. The router moves forward and back,right and left and up and down pivoting on the pillow blocks. The follower follows the pattern and the 1/4" carbide end mill (either ball or flat tip depending on the need) carves out the grip. A blind dowel in the back of the grip locates the wood block and pattern as well as the screw through a 1/8" hole that ends up being the hole for the final attaching grip screw set. If you want to make one,I will be glad to answer any questions you have. Since I designed it around what I could find in my scrap box,you are free to redesign it to fit whatever parts you can find. Have fun!! :D
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

7.62 Precision , PM sent friend.
Mike Hunter
Member Emeritus

Post by Mike Hunter »

I recommend Paul Persinger, he' s about the best there is, esp with ivory. Heck he's they guy that does them for Colt.
92&94
Senior Levergunner

Post by 92&94 »

AJMD429 wrote:
Chuck 100 yd wrote: Image
That's pretty cool. Where do you get the stuff (like axles and mounts and bearings, etc.) to make stuff like that...?
VXB is a good supplier. I think they sell on Amazon as well as through their own site, so that may well be where they came from. IIRC, the metric sizes tend to be cheaper, probably due to volume use.

You can also get them from McMaster Carr, but they tend to be more expensive. They do have more options on types of bearings - delrin bushings for extremely dirty environments and bearings that can accommodate up to a degree or so of mis-alignment.