35 Whelen AI

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Dusty Texian
Levergunner 2.0

35 Whelen AI

Post by Dusty Texian »

After reading the recent threads on the 35 caliber rifles. I started thinking about a 35 Whelen AI custom 98 Mauser I had purchased some years back . The 98 custom is in like new condition and was assembled by Paul Jeager ,so the workmanship on this rifle is first class. I do not think the rifle has ever been fired. I pulled the old rifle from the back corner of the safe and gave it a once over ,and then began to wonder why I had never shot it. So I ordered a set of dies and bullets & brass . All that stuff should be in soon ,so while waiting on components I am looking over loading data for the 35 Whelen AI. From what I am reading this is going to be a powerhouse of a hunting rifle. Looks like the old Mauser may go on a hunt very soon. Anyone that has any advise on the loads for the 35 Whelen AI ,I would be very glad to hear from. I have ordered bullets in the 250 gr. range . Hope you like the pic. DT. Image
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 35 Whelen AI

Post by TedH »

Beautiful rifle, and very interesting chambering. Look forward to your range report.
NRA Life Member
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

TedH wrote:Beautiful rifle, and very interesting chambering. Look forward to your range report.
Ditto.... :)
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Dusty, that's a mighty big and beautiful stick to keep in the closet.
Not 35 Whelen AI, but I used Re15 in my 9,3X62 for a plains game hunt in Africa.
Dusty Texian
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dusty Texian »

Bill in Oregon wrote:Dusty, that's a mighty big and beautiful stick to keep in the closet.
Not 35 Whelen AI, but I used Re15 in my 9,3X62 for a plains game hunt in Africa.
Bill , Re 15 is one of the powders I will start with. It did not take long to notice that many were using Re15 in the Whelen cartridges, Std. and the AI , and getting good results. My first loads will use the Speer 250 gr. SP over Re 15 powder. Many report good accurate performance from this combination. I have read nothing but good about the 9.3x62. It has quite the reputation for a very good hunting round. How did you like it on the plains game hunt? Thanks for the input Fellows.,,,,,DT
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

What a beautiful rifle.
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

very nice indeed!
ive shot them but never owned one

ollogger
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Drool. I do love my 35s
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Don't know anything about loading for it but that is old school pretty!
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Dusty, I and my brother found the 9,3X62 to be a very big hammer in a small package. Your .35 Whelen AI will be every bit as effective and maybe more so with a bit flatter trajectory. Can't think of a better choice for elk- and moose size critters.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Just based on the 35 Whelen case size from when I looked at them in a Gander Mountain store, that 35 Whelen AI should have plenty of power. How did a rifle that beautiful get overlooked for any length of time?
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Dusty Texian
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dusty Texian »

ollogger wrote:very nice indeed!

ollogger
Hey OLLOGER, did you use it on game? Thanks for the input Bill, looks like the 35 whelen and the AI and the 9.3x62 are all about the same . Looking at the books ,I think it should be the kind of rifle cartridge that can do about anything ask of it in the 250 gr. range. And the good part is the brass can be made from 3006 ,and Lord knows I have saved a pile of it over the yrs. I have cast a bunch of .357 lead bullets with wheel weights to use in the fire-forming steps. I may as well shoot the rifle a bit while doing that. Who knows may even find a good light cast load for dispatching varmints and hog around the place. That .357 cast bullet @ 158 gr. traveling around 1500 fps. or so should bust their chops pretty good! I never did forget or ignore the old Mauser ,its just the last few years I have been shooting, loading and hunting with the old antique Winchesters only. Long before that It was the Mauser's that held my interest. Mainly the .300 Wby., .270 Win. the .250-3000 Imp. ,and the .22 centerfires. I knew one day I would get around to the .35 Whelen AI. The last few yrs. we have started seeing free range Elk on the West Texas place so there is a chance I may get to try it out on one, or an Aoudad and Desert Mule deer for sure.,,,,DT
Dusty Texian
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dusty Texian »

ollogger wrote:very nice indeed!

ollogger
Hey OLLOGER, did you use it on game? Thanks for the input Bill, looks like the 35 whelen and the AI and the 9.3x62 are all about the same . Looking at the books ,I think it should be the kind of rifle cartridge that can do about anything ask of it in the 250 gr. range. And the good part is the brass can be made from 3006 ,and Lord knows I have saved a pile of it over the yrs. I have cast a bunch of .357 lead bullets with wheel weights to use in the fire-forming steps. I may as well shoot the rifle a bit while doing that. Who knows may even find a good light cast load for dispatching varmints and hog around the place. That .357 cast bullet @ 158 gr. traveling around 1500 fps. or so should bust their chops pretty good! I never did forget or ignore the old Mauser ,its just the last few years I have been shooting, loading and hunting with the old antique Winchesters only. Long before that It was the Mauser's that held my interest. Mainly the .300 Wby., .270 Win. the .250-3000 Imp. ,and the .22 centerfires. I knew one day I would get around to the .35 Whelen AI. The last few yrs. we have started seeing free range Elk on the West Texas place so there is a chance I may get to try it out on one, or an Aoudad and Desert Mule deer for sure.,,,,DT
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

I have a .35 Whelen 40 degree Improved in my own safe! I had it rebarreled with a Shilen and there it sits. I have the dies, but just never got around to doing anything with it and it just sits in the back of the safe...somewhere...

I have a PILE of 250's and a few thousand 30-06 brass. I ran about 300 over the expander ball, only lost about a half dozen. But then I was side tracked and there she stays.

I need to get to work on it as soon as hunting season is over!
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

I would suggest you check the rifling twist as bullet selection might be easier. My 35 Whale does it's best with
the 225 Noslers and with 250s not so much. Talking to Nosler and Sierra about production timing for their 225s
to resume, they assured me end of October. Varget powder has been a stellar performer for me. I suspect the
Hornady 200 FTX might be a great deer bullet though maybe a bit soft for elk. The 200 Rem factory has been
noteworthy also. 86r might have some imput on the 200 FTXs.
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
Dusty Texian
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dusty Texian »

Bullard4075 wrote:I would suggest you check the rifling twist as bullet selection might be easier. My 35 Whale does it's best with
the 225 Noslers and with 250s not so much. Talking to Nosler and Sierra about production timing for their 225s
to resume, they assured me end of October. Varget powder has been a stellar performer for me. I suspect the
Hornady 200 FTX might be a great deer bullet though maybe a bit soft for elk. The 200 Rem factory has been
Thanks for the input 2x22 and Bullard4075, As close as I can tell the ROT on this 35 Whelen AI ,is 1x10.5" or 1x11" . Does this sound about right ? I have been an avid handloader for over 40 yrs. but have no past with the 35 Whelen AI. As of right now I only have the 250gr. bullets to try. I am on the hunt for some 225gr. bullets to try also. Bullard what is the ROT in your 35 and is this the reason you say that the 250gr. does not do so well? Has anyone tried the 200 TSX BT bullet? I have had very good results with the Barnes .308 150gr. TSX BT solid copper bullet. A decent Bc. and deadly on game .,,,,DT
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

I think .35 Whelen (not AI) is usually 1:16
My 1895 was rebored to .35 Whelen with a 1:14 for better handling of the larger cast bullets.

If yours is faster than that it ought to handle 250 bullets just fine.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

Dusty Texian wrote:
Bullard4075 wrote:I would suggest you check the rifling twist as bullet selection might be easier. My 35 Whale does it's best with
Thanks for the input 2x22 and Bullard4075, As close as I can tell the ROT on this 35 Whelen AI ,is 1x10.5" or 1x11" . Does this sound about right ? I have been an avid handloader for over 40 yrs. but have no past with the 35 Whelen AI. As of right now I only have the 250gr. bullets to try. I am on the hunt for some 225gr. bullets to try also. Bullard what is the ROT in your 35 and is this the reason you say that the 250gr. does not do so well? Has anyone tried the 200 TSX BT bullet? I have had very good results with the Barnes .308 150gr. TSX BT solid copper bullet. A decent Bc. and deadly on game .,,,,DT
My Whelen is the Remington 700 Classic (the same rifle used by Ken Waters in his 35 Whelen UPDATE) with a 1 in 16 twist. My results do not track
exactly with his as my rifle seems to prefer 225 and lighter bullets. My best powder (Varget) was not out I believe when his update came out, at
least he doesn't mention it.
I recommend you read his 35 Whelen Pet loads and update, if you can't get them message me.
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
Dusty Texian
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dusty Texian »

Thanks for the info,Bullard4075. I will dig-up the Pet Loads . Ken Waters has been a big help in the past on other cartridges. I have always enjoyed his writings. I ran another ROT test on the barrel today ,used a better plug and rod and came -up with 1 turn in. 11.5 . Should have some test loads ready in a day or so. Will report back on how it does.,,,,DT.