How to PROPERLY bait Hogs...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

How to PROPERLY bait Hogs...

Post by Old Ironsights »

C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Re: How to PROPERLY bait Hogs...bodies

Post by Sixgun »

OI,
That was cheating. As much as I like to see vermin eliminated, a blast like that was sure to wound many as there's no shrapnel involved.

I was hoping to see a few ISIS ragheads tied up (alive) and hot pork grease poured over their miserable subhuman bodies and watch them being eaten alive.

The hogs deserve better than ragheads. :D -------6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

1894c

Re: How to PROPERLY bait Hogs...

Post by 1894c »

ouch... :O
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Not probably the most humane way to get the job done; wasted some meat, too... :(
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

I'm not against killing, and I am especially in favor of wiping out the hogs. I know ugly methods are used sometimes to control invasive species.

I have always thought that killing and death should at least be handled in a respectful way, if possible. I have a hard time watching pigs get blown apart without feeling a little bit of revulsion, especially if people are laughing about it. Maybe just because I have seen humans blown apart just like that, but I think it is more about the lack of respect and dignity to me.
BrentD

Post by BrentD »

+1
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

From the title of the thread, I thought maybe we were going to the honky-tonk with some 100 dollar bills. :roll: :lol:
BrentD

Post by BrentD »

In honky tonks, "hogs" don't rate Benjamins ;)
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

I try not to judge others methods of killing. Killing is a personal thing, we must draw our own lines that we don't cross, so we can get to sleep at night. I try to just kill what I'm going to eat, but there are exceptions: rabid coons, rattlesnakes.

I've had a few holes in my south fence from pigs, but not so many as to justify such an ugly demise, and huge waste of meat. If you blow an animals guts all over the meat, it is ruined for me, and therefore an unacceptable method...for me. If I was over run with pigs, I might feel different. The laughing is telling, makes it more ugly in my opinion.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Did you see the one limping at the left before the explosion? It was probably already in one of those kaboom`s and leary (sp?) of getting in on the pick nick.
I don`t think that is a humane way to get rid of them at all.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I can honestly say that I've never seen that done to hogs.

Just kinda looks like there's a potential for some maimed and wounded animals that might need "cleaning up."

Not sure that part would generate much of a chuckle from me, personally.

I like a good explosion as much as the next guy, and if the hogs end up dead, well... well-done, I suppose.

:?
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I agree with the general concensus here. The hogs need to be controlled, but that's not the way to do it. Wasteful, and inhumane to the hogs that aren't killed instantly. That, in my opinion, will shed a very bad light on us real hunters, to those riding the fence. The laughter after the explosion makes it clear what kind of numbskulls were taking part. :roll:
NRA Life Member
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

I seriously doubt that we want to be seen to promote cruel, inhumane, barbaric stunts like that.
It's that sort of stuff that the anti-hunting lobby judge all of us by.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

7.62 Precision wrote:I'm not against killing, and I am especially in favor of wiping out the hogs. I know ugly methods are used sometimes to control invasive species.

I have always thought that killing and death should at least be handled in a respectful way, if possible. I have a hard time watching pigs get blown apart without feeling a little bit of revulsion, especially if people are laughing about it. Maybe just because I have seen humans blown apart just like that, but I think it is more about the lack of respect and dignity to me.
+2
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

gundownunder wrote:It's that sort of stuff that the anti-hunting lobby judge all of us by.
...and the 'anti-Tannerite' lobby, too.... :(
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Funny how some people let their personal sense of "ethics" mutate into "there ought to be a law"...

I think it's a waste of tannerite, but it wasn't my tannerite, it was theirs to expend in any otherwise non-harmful way they chose. But if the movie had been of a bunch of Rags gathering around a Goat everyone would be cheering rather than saying how it's going to make the Antis whine...
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Kind of the opposite effect as this post:

http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... =1&t=61152

"Neutral" people see the tannerite video, even if they understand just how destructive hogs are, and then vote for more restrictions on hunting. Doesn't help our cause...
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

"Neutral" people see the tannerite video, even if they understand just how destructive hogs are, and then vote for more restrictions on hunting
Are you seriously classifying blowing up a mob of pigs with explosive as hunting?

Not me, but those on the fence might.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Old Ironsights wrote:Funny how some people let their personal sense of "ethics" mutate into "there ought to be a law"...
True; even though I would never intentionally make an animal suffer, even a cockroach or horsefly or rat or feral dog, I am skeptical of "laws" that would regulate such things - because nearly every law against a 'moral' issue winds up backfiring. There are things I despise, yet making them illegal is more of a danger to society than the action itself.

This is a lesson more of us should endeavor to understand.

I would use that tactic against malicious humans (terrorists, murderers, etc.) without remorse, but not against hogs. That doesn't mean I'd want those who do so to be arrested.

The OTHER component to all this is that "public relations" issue - the typical 'voter' seeing such video will side with the cute little piggies (en route to a pork barbeque, no doubt :roll: ), and say "there ought to be a LAW..."... :evil: :roll:

We ALL have to be careful about the image we portray to the uninitiated, uninformed, disengaged 'voters' out there... :| ...even if we ARE in the right, legally, and/or morally.

Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

gundownunder wrote:
"Neutral" people see the tannerite video, even if they understand just how destructive hogs are, and then vote for more restrictions on hunting
Are you seriously classifying blowing up a mob of pigs with explosive as hunting?

Not me, but those on the fence might.
No, I call it "Vermin elimination", not all that different (or more wasteful) than Poison (ruins meat, death by poison ain't fun) or fumigation/propane detonation of burrowers, etc.

Also, if you MUST eliminate a whole mob - right now - shooting them one at a time is not productive. Hogs are too smart.

So you have to come up with a way to trap &/or kill them en-masse.

Not saying that that is why these guys eliminated that mob that way, but not all cringe-worthy actions are illegitimate or should be forbidden.
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Just guessing here. I saw a kangaroo hopping around so I assume this was shot in Australia. I think they have experience and memories with new/invasive species like the rabbits that are a plague, so they prolly don't want another invasion taking place in their country. So, all "humanity" toward pigs is called off...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

mikld wrote:Just guessing here. I saw a kangaroo hopping around so I assume this was shot in Australia. I think they have experience and memories with new/invasive species like the rabbits that are a plague, so they prolly don't want another invasion taking place in their country. So, all "humanity" toward pigs is called off...
Good point...

cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

More humaine than getting shot.
Slow is just slow.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Old Ironsights wrote:Funny how some people let their personal sense of "ethics" mutate into "there ought to be a law"...

I think it's a waste of tannerite, but it wasn't my tannerite, it was theirs to expend in any otherwise non-harmful way they chose. But if the movie had been of a bunch of Rags gathering around a Goat everyone would be cheering rather than saying how it's going to make the Antis whine...
I would never disrespect a goat like that...especially one with a sore bum.... :twisted:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I don't think anyone, including myself, are saying "there ought to be a law", but I disapprove of some legal hunting methods, as well....I won't enumerate them lest I offend.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

Those clowns looked like they were old enough to know better and not act like 13-14 year old's. It sounded like there were 3-4 of em, and they could have easily just shot the porkers.
But the really stupid thing was to put it on u-tube; more anti gunner sentiment for sure. :x
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Jes wondering, is anybody offended by the helicopter pig hunts/shoots? High capacity, semi-auto rifles fired from a helicopter hovering/chasing a herd of pigs?
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I'm not offended by any of it, I just think there's more efficient ways to kill hogs and use Tannerite.

The "hunters" in the vid got the hogs to bait, so there's good evidence that they could easily have been trapped.

Explosions are always fun and this application was creative, but IMO really amounts to not much more than cruelty to animals.

I don't think I'd go so far as to 'pass a law', but I don't think I'd waste my energy patting those guys on the back for their accomplishment.

I'm really torn. Playing with the Tannerite looks like fun, but blowing up dumb animals for amusement is kinda sad.

:(
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

FWiedner wrote:I'm not offended by any of it, I just think there's more efficient ways to kill hogs and use Tannerite.

The "hunters" in the vid got the hogs to bait, so there's good evidence that they could easily have been trapped.

Explosions are always fun and this application was creative, but IMO really amounts to not much more than cruelty to animals.

I don't think I'd go so far as to 'pass a law', but I don't think I'd waste my energy patting those guys on the back for their accomplishment.

I'm really torn. Playing with the Tannerite looks like fun, but blowing up dumb animals for amusement is kinda sad.

:twisted: Yer still thinking about the goat.....

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

BlaineG wrote::twisted: Yer still thinking about the goat.....
I don't know that I'd be concerned if it were a goat. I don't particularly care for the creatures.

But I got a 'relationship' with feral hogs.

:lol:

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

FWiedner wrote:I'm not offended by any of it, I just think there's more efficient ways to kill hogs and use Tannerite.

+1.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Mike Rintoul
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Mike Rintoul »

Mike Rintoul
Owner
Grizzly Cartridge Ammunition Company
www.grizzlycartridge.com
Cast Performance Bullet Company
Rainier, Oregon
(503) 556-3006
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Yeah, now see...

86er did not recommend the use of explosive charges, of any size, as a sure fire method of taking hogs.

:lol:

Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Frankly, when it comes to feral hogs, I'm not adverse to using an AC-130.

Kills hogs and tills the field at the same time...
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

FWiedner wrote:I don't know that I'd be concerned if it were a goat. I don't particularly care for the creatures.

...er, would that 'relationship' be genetic, or romantic... :shock: :lol:

FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

AJMD429 wrote:
FWiedner wrote:I don't know that I'd be concerned if it were a goat. I don't particularly care for the creatures.

...er, would that 'relationship' be genetic, or romantic... :shock: :lol:
More like the non-consensual stalking kind of thing.

:mrgreen:

Tristan
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Tristan »

7.62 Precision wrote:I'm not against killing, and I am especially in favor of wiping out the hogs. I know ugly methods are used sometimes to control invasive species.

Well said!