Wax bullets in a lever action rifle

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JohnnyReb
Levergunner 2.0

Wax bullets in a lever action rifle

Post by JohnnyReb »

I have been thinking about shooting some wax bullets in the Ruger Vaquero 44mag. by tapping out the shell casing to accept a shotgun primer. Mainly for fast draw practice.

Will the wax bullet backed by a shotgun primer exit my Win 94 44 mag with 16 in. barrel? Thought it might be fun to play cowboy...

Anyone have any experience?
Thanks
JR
Redneck suicide note: Here, hold my beer and watch this!!
bj94
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bj94 »

I don't think shotgun primers are required for handgun use, but I've heard that you should drill out the flash holes a little bit to keep the primers from backing out and jamming the cylinder. But if you drill out the flash holes, mark those cases and don't use them with full reloads again.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

What bj84 said. But I will add I have never fired wax bullets from a rifle but they will shoot quite hard from a 7 1/2" barrel with mag pistol primers.
:wink:
John Y Cannuck
Levergunner 1.0

Post by John Y Cannuck »

I've fired wax bullets from an 1886 Winchester in 45-70. I used standard cases, and just the primer for ignition. I simply pushed the case through the wax tablet to make the bullet. My barrel is 26" Handgun should be no trouble.
xxclaro
Levergunner 1.0

Post by xxclaro »

I can verify that it works very well out of a .375 Winchester. I can also assure that under no circumstances should you let someone try to shoot a cowboy hat off your head. You will find that the wax slug can actually penetrate the felt and smack your noggin, leaving a nice welt.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

xxclaro wrote:I can verify that it works very well out of a .375 Winchester. I can also assure that under no circumstances should you let someone try to shoot a cowboy hat off your head. You will find that the wax slug can actually penetrate the felt and smack your noggin, leaving a nice welt.
I'm not even going to ask... :shock:

Scratch that - I have to ask. Was alcohol involved in this "experiment"?
JohnnyReb
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JohnnyReb »

xxclaro wrote:I can verify that it works very well out of a .375 Winchester. I can also assure that under no circumstances should you let someone try to shoot a cowboy hat off your head. You will find that the wax slug can actually penetrate the felt and smack your noggin, leaving a nice welt.
I am going to take that "sound" advice :roll:
I have heard of some folks using wax bullets in trying to replicate the old catch a bullet trick. Think I will stick to target practice.

Thanks fellas
JR
Redneck suicide note: Here, hold my beer and watch this!!
Ysabel Kid

Re: Wax bullets in a lever action rifle

Post by Ysabel Kid »

JohnnyReb wrote:I have been thinking about shooting some wax bullets in the Ruger Vaquero 44mag. by tapping out the shell casing to accept a shotgun primer. Mainly for fast draw practice.

Will the wax bullet backed by a shotgun primer exit my Win 94 44 mag with 16 in. barrel? Thought it might be fun to play cowboy...

Anyone have any experience?
Thanks
JR
Sounds like a future "range report" in the making - complete with pictures! (hint, hint! :wink: )
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

I wanna see the welt!!!
ED
Yer never too old
don Tomás
Levergunner 3.0

Post by don Tomás »

Modoc ED wrote:
I wanna see the welt!!!
I'm with Ed, I wanna see the welt!

Tom

'A Man's got to have a code...
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."

-John Bernard Books. Jan. 22, 1901
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Post by deerwhacker444 »

Have you tried these, they're re-usable?

http://meisterbullets.com/asccustompage ... avParent=0

I've shot them out of my rifle and they shoot very well for 50 ft or so. Only problem with a pistol is the primers sometimes back out of the case and lock up the revolver. The only fix I've found is to drill out the flash holes.
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
xxclaro
Levergunner 1.0

Post by xxclaro »

Well, I guess I may as well tell you the whole story. No alcohol was involved, just stupididty. Yu see, I had been using a sheet of about 1/2 inch thick hard wax to make bullets for my .375 BB. I was having some fun shooting at things in the basement, seeing what kind of powr they had. A couple of my buddies showed up, and one let me shoot him wearing a thick insulated jean jacket. I also tried it, and it was fine, could hardly feel it. Then another friend of mine showed up. This fellow is known for doing really dumb things that no one else would consider. Just as a joke, I suggested he let me shoot a cowboy hat of his head, jut like the movies. No sooner had I said it than he was putting on the had and setting up his camera for video. I didn't really want to do it, but he thought it would look cool and wanted to video it. I told him to at least turn around so he wasn't facing me. He set the hat lightly on his head, so as to aid in it's abrupt and dramatic removal. I aimed high on the hat, just in case. I squeezed off the shot, and the hat remained motionlesss. His head did snap forward rather dramatically though. For a second all was quiet, followed by a long, drawn out "oooowwwwww!" Removing the hat, a fine little goose egg was immediatly visible on his nicely shaven noggin. Viewing the video, it's easy to see the little hole appear in the hat. This was a hard, straw type cowboy hat, and I had happen to hit that little decorative band near the top, where all the little holes are, thus hardly slowing the wax slug at all. Not the brightest thing either of us ever did, but many have laughed at his expense after viewing the video. That evience has since been deleted.