Price for a decent Marlin 336 in 35Rem?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Price for a decent Marlin 336 in 35Rem?

Post by SteveR »

I found one today, it was made in 1967, 98% condition I would rate it, for 450.00. Does 450.00 sound like a good price?

Thanks,
Steve
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Price for a decent Marlin 336 in 35Rem?

Post by ollogger »

I would say at 450.00 asking price that's a fair deal
did you check Gun Broker?

ollogger
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

Yeah, I have been looking at GB for a while, seems to be the going price. I would have to get it for cheap on GB to cover shipping and dealer transfer, which with both can add up to $80.00.

I know a couple of places that have some good prices, but I think I like this one I found the best so far.

Steve
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

If you want it and are willing to give $450 it's worth every penny.
I had a chance to buy a 1963 model the other day for $300, but it had been D&T'd for a scope and had some light rust on the muzzle from being muzzle down in a pickup or whatever. I would have bought it anyway if I hadn't just bought a 32 Special.

I see guys here locally asking 550 and not getting it. But, I have seen them offered 500 and not take it for guns that are not in such great condition as to command that price. If you think you want it, go get it or it will be gone.

You may have to buy ammo to get brass right now as it seems to be scarce.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

vancelw wrote:If you want it and are willing to give $450 it's worth every penny.
I had a chance to buy a 1963 model the other day for $300, but it had been D&T'd for a scope and had some light rust on the muzzle from being muzzle down in a pickup or whatever. I would have bought it anyway if I hadn't just bought a 32 Special.

I see guys here locally asking 550 and not getting it. But, I have seen them offered 500 and not take it for guns that are not in such great condition as to command that price. If you think you want it, go get it or it will be gone.

I just might have to go back monday and buy it. That is my next is brass and dies, I haven't looked much yet, but I will be reloading for sure.

Steve
Dan 444
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dan 444 »

$450 is a fair asking price.
Dan
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

SteveR wrote: I just might have to go back monday and buy it. That is my next is brass and dies, I haven't looked much yet, but I will be reloading for sure.

Steve
Steve, if you need it there is some brass over on "Gunbroker". One fellow there is selling 35 Rems made from 308 military cases (not a simple forming job!) for $50/100 http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =461908500. Decent looking brass and if I needed brass I'd probably give it a try. But I'm sure the case capacity has to be somewhat reduced as the 308 brass has to be considerably beefier in the base/web area so you'd have to reduce powder charges somewhat for full-power loads. They would, however, be great for my cast bullet loads I would guess.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I agree with Vance.

In some areas of the country, you can pick and choose. If it was 5 or even 6 hundred and you really want it and there's not much in your area, go ahead and get it.

I way I see it is that the grossly inflated prices we all pay for car insurance, real estate taxes, and income taxes.......and.........what do you get for them???........is a drop in the bucket when your personal happiness is involved. Get what you want........within reason.--------6

The $450 price is about right. As opposed to buying on the Internet, buying local also saves lots of aggravation like waiting for the gun, whether or not it was described properly, the check getting lost, damaged during shipping, and even possibly that the gun was stolen.......which happened to one of my buddies.........that almost cost him $1200. After paying for the gun and receiving it, he got a call from the ATF telling him to send it back.........the dealer was an honest guy but did not want to take the hit. Took several months and a million phone calls to get his bucks back.-----me
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Wouldn't get mine for anything like that price.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

That would be a good deal around these parts.
NRA Life Member
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Ted, not a bad Leroy Brown.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

:lol:
NRA Life Member
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Old Savage wrote:Ted, not a bad Leroy Brown.

Be carefull OS......Leroy Brown will get you with his "32 Gun".----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Mossyoak1957
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Mossyoak1957 »

vancelw wrote:If you want it and are willing to give $450 it's worth every penny.

Just some info for ya when your lookin at Marlins,Marlin 336's were D&T'd from 1956 on up
Mossyoak1957
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Mossyoak1957 »

SteveR wrote:I found one today, it was made in 1967, 98% condition I would rate it, for 450.00. Does 450.00 sound like a good price?

Thanks,
Steve
Sounds about right to me,I sold a 1969 336 35 Rem.in 98% cond. a few months back for $500, if you get it and need some brass let me know.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Mossyoak1957 wrote:

Just some info for ya when your lookin at Marlins,Marlin 336's were D&T'd from 1956 on up
I've never seen a waffletop D&T'd, but I couldn't remember if that 1963 was waffletop or flat top when I looked at it. It had "vintage" see-through scope ring/mounts on it. I shoulda bought it and sold the Weaver scope off of it. I did make an offer, but they had it on consigment and didn't agree to sell until I was in Montana for 3 weeks hunting. I told them I would take it or they could sell it if they wanted to before I got back. I NEED yet another caliber to load for :roll: So I bought a 32 Special on the way home :| Reloading is the most expensive hobby EVER! (except girlfriends....so some people say)
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Mossyoak1957
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Mossyoak1957 »

vancelw wrote:
Mossyoak1957 wrote:

I've never seen a waffletop D&T'd, but I couldn't remember if that 1963 was waffletop or flat top when I looked at it. It had "vintage" see-through scope ring/mounts on it. I shoulda bought it and sold the Weaver scope off of it. I did make an offer, but they had it on consigment and didn't agree to sell until I was in Montana for 3 weeks hunting. I told them I would take it or they could sell it if they wanted to before I got back. I NEED yet another caliber to load for :roll: So I bought a 32 Special on the way home :| Reloading is the most expensive hobby EVER! (except girlfriends....so some people say)
1963 would have been D&T for sure,I forget when Marlin went from the waffletop to just the smooth top before D&T'ing in 1956

Your better off with the 32 Spl. anyway! 32 Spl. is my favorite.

My 1960 336 SC 32 Win. Spl.
Been killin deer with it since 1971

vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Well, if you're gonna use a carrying handle at least you have a good one :D
I figured that 35 I mentioned was rusty as heck under those scope mounts. Was debating on whether I wanted a 35 bad enough to get one in that condition (and trying to get the $75-$80 of yore out of my head) or if I wanted it for a Cerakote project.
Mossyoak1957
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Mossyoak1957 »

vancelw wrote:Well, if you're gonna use a carrying handle at least you have a good one :D
I figured that 35 I mentioned was rusty as heck under those scope mounts. Was debating on whether I wanted a 35 bad enough to get one in that condition (and trying to get the $75-$80 of yore out of my head) or if I wanted it for a Cerakote project.
Yeah,need the carry handle for hunting at age 57+ the old iron sights are a bit blurry,I never wounded a deer "EVER" and don't want to start now because I was to proud to face the fact that my sights were blurry.....lol
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

Where did the time go? I still picture my favorite gun shop in the 90's to mid 2000's with about 10 feet of used Marlins, all about $150, unless they were in poor shape and less. It was funny to me when I got online, reading about people excited to find a used Marlin 35 Rem somewhere. In these parts and just north, it was the most common gun you could find.
Slow is just slow.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 1894 »

SteveR wrote: I just might have to go back monday and buy it. That is my next is brass and dies, I haven't looked much yet, but I will be reloading for sure.

Steve
So being Monday ...... Pics of your new .35 are in order ? I hope :D
Phil
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by t.r. »

They've gone UP about $125. per rifle since about three years ago. I feel that Remington's take over of Marlin is a contributing factor to this inflation. Political climate is another factor.

$450. is about right for a pristine 336 in 35. But ammo supply for this cartridge has diminished greatly in past two years.

Good hunting to you.
TR
Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

For certain, though it's laughable. There's the same amount of pre Remington Marlins now as they always were. But somehow now that there's even more Marlins, all be they kind of crappy, the others are somehow worth hundreds of dollars more. (Some "doubled" in price) :roll:
Slow is just slow.
S.B.
Levergunner 2.0

Post by S.B. »

I think you're darn lucky to find one for that price, today, a real Marlin in a proven caliber!
Steve
"The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."
Life member of NRA, USPSA, ISRA, AF&AM Pontiac #294
LIUNA #996 for the last 32 years, retired after 34 years.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Mossyoak1957 wrote: Yeah,need the carry handle for hunting at age 57+ the old iron sights are a bit blurry,I never wounded a deer "EVER" and don't want to start now because I was to proud to face the fact that my sights were blurry.....lol
I just turned 51 and my very close and very far vision is not crisp anymore. So I used scopes when I was young and could see and now use iron sight. Might as well while I can. I was fondling my Browning 1886 SRC the other day...haven't shot it since I got in a while back...and was noticing just how tiny that notch was in that rear sight. I may have to put a peep sight of some sort on it. Decisions, decisions. With peeps I can at least focus on the front sight.
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

Sorry, I was stuck at work the last few days, tomorrow I will get to to funstore and take care of business.

Thanks for head's up on GB for brass. I found some loaded and a good selection on components at Graf and Sons.

I am happy with the decision to go with the 35rem, it fill the spot in my collection that was needed. I have my Rossi Puma 92 action in 357, that work for me on deer size stuff out to 125 yards, then the 35rem will fit the 125 to 250 yard role, then if I need anything else that is bigger or out to 300 yards my 9.3x62 in the 98 action will take care of that role.
The best is I'm not beating myself up with extra recoil. And I really love to 35 caliber, well the 9.3 is .366 cal, but close enough. Both the 35rem and 9.3x62 are both in the same 40,000 cup area, so easy breezy on the shoulder.

Thanks for all the great replies and pics will come as soon as I get it released back out in to the wild. I might have to put it on layaway for a while, I kind of planned ahead of the finances.

Steve