What do you call a deer blind?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Senior Levergunner

What do you call a deer blind?

Post by 2571 »

'Deer blind" is the only name I use for a structure to provide shelter from weather and observation by game. I think I have read that some folk call these structures a 'hide". Once heard a client from LA call it a 'fish house". Tonight, on TV, I heard a guy in Maine refer it to a shooting shed.

What do you call structure from which to ambush deer and other large game?
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: What do you call a deer blind?

Post by Blaine »

Blind or stand. .....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Mah Truck... :wink:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

2571 wrote:...Tonight, on TV, I heard a guy in Maine refer it to a shooting shed.

What do you call structure from which to ambush deer and other large game?
Well, I'm from Maine...

So my guess would have been...

A PICKUP TRUCK!

On a dirt road.

At night.

Out of season.

With no license.

And smelling of beer, or pot.

That's not the way I hunt, mind you, guess I've been watching the Maine Game Wardens on "North Woods Law" too much. :roll:

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

In Germany, they call them a Shoot House. In the US, a shoot house is where military/police train to simulate conducting a raid.

Wheather I am in TX or KS, I just call it a deer stand.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Blind, hide, or stand have subtle differences.

A stand is usually elevated, (like in a tree) and sometimes includes a blind or house
To me, a hide is usually what I throw together on the spot, and usually on the ground. Brush, camo cloth, etc thrown over branches, poles, or wire. Sometime simply draped across my shooting sticks.

I personally hate shooting houses. They take me away from the sounds of nature and add the smell of rat pee and owl puke.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
mohavesam
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mohavesam »

Call it what you will but there's one thing I hate: those nylon pop-up blinds that come in camo patterns. I believe anyone hunting on the ground (in public lands) should required to have orange ribbons or patterns on those things!

I'm as careful as can be, but I hate seeing them at the last moment holding on a running or moving deer!

Call those a death tent!
I'm positive God created the universe... I'm just not convinced He had any choice in the matter.
-A. Einstein
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

I think they call it Darwinism. If you're hunting on public land you need to be elevated...and that doesn't guarantee your safety.
I could be blaze orange an the deer wouldn't care. But some jerks would shoot at it on purpose
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

My state requires the same amount of Hunter Orange displayed on camo blinds as on hunters - 500 sq.in. - visible from all sides.

JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

To me a deer blind is cover to some extent and a stand is where you are hunting, sitting on a rock, a stump or what ever.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
7.62 Precision
Senior Levergunner

Post by 7.62 Precision »

We don't call them anything up here because we don't use them. The exception is the guys who hunt black bear over bait. They often use tree stands, usually just a platform built from wood.

When I was in NY, a guy shot his boy out of a tree with a 12 gauge. He left him in a stand and went to another stand to hunt. That evening, he came walking back to find his kid, heard a noise in a tree, so he "thought it was a deer in the tree" and killed his kid.

When I was in TN, a friend's cousin was killed in daylight at 20 yards by a guy with a muzzle loader. He was standing in a lake fishing and the guy shot him from the shore. Thought he was a deer.

So I guess that you can't be safe from everyone . . .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

mohavesam wrote:Call it what you will but there's one thing I hate: those nylon pop-up blinds that come in camo patterns. I believe anyone hunting on the ground (in public lands) should required to have orange ribbons or patterns on those things!

I'm as careful as can be, but I hate seeing them at the last moment holding on a running or moving deer!

Call those a death tent!
In Virginia the written game laws say you are supposed to have blaze orange visible from all sides when you're in one of those things . And all of them I've seen in use in this state when occupied had no visible orange outside !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

We call them condos. :')
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

I grew up calling them blinds and usually a duck or goose blind. The terminology was used for hunting but as 7.62 mentioned they were rare in my youth for big game. Bass Pro sells the little tent bubbles by the truckload now. Lots of guys use tree stands as I usually hear them called for bear baiting. Seems locals differentiate between blinds on the ground and stands in a tree.

I've never seen the elaborate stands like little sheds on a water tower base like I see on the net in some locations down south. We call those ice fishing shacks!!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Blind, hide or stands for me are on the deck. A stand for me is somewhere I stand.
Usually calling.

Over here usually an elevated arrangement is called a high seat.

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Nath wrote:Blind, hide or stands for me are on the deck. A stand for me is somewhere I stand.
Usually calling.

Over here usually an elevated arrangement is called a high seat.

N.
What Nath said.
Dangerous game I prefer shooting from a Howdah... :lol:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

Number one.....I don't hunt public lands anymore. The last time I did I heard the bullet before the discharge, and way to close, to the point I tried to bury myself all the time yelling disparaging comments about the shooter's intelligence, his ancestors, probably his sexual preferences and practices, and what I was going to do to him when I got up. I'm not sure...I was so scared and mad I don't remember everything I said. It must have worked tho...all I heard after that was the shooter crashing thru the woods going away from me.

On my two leases we have several "permanent" blinds built out of scrap 2x's and sheet metal we've salvaged from some destruction sites. The walls are about 30" or so high, then about 24" opening for as much of 360* that we can get, rain-proof roof and you're done. About the first of Sept we go and clean them out, do any necessary repairs and put new camo netting over the view slots. We also use several of the pop-up blinds we position according to our scouting and trail cam reports. We "pick our palaces" every morning and every one knows where everyone else is. If someone's going to move they let everyone know via radio.

This works for us and we're pretty safe for the above and one other reason: We have an agreement with the landowners that anyone not in our group caught on the property goes to jail. We've enforced this more than a couple of times and word has gotten around to the "drive-thru and check it out" hunters. Having the local deputy's and game ranger's cel phone numbers helps with that a lot, that and them knowing there's always a pretty good supper waiting at our camp if they are in the area and want to stop in.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

south and central Texas (Texas counts as 5 states) - blind.
Senior Levergunner

Post by 2571 »

Old No 7 is correct about Maine Game Warden show. Not a show I favor but they had a special about the 66 year old woman lost of the Appalachian Trail. Boston Globe had a long piece about her recently as she's still missing.

We hunt from blinds, especially in -0 weather.

Some few guys here hunt from fox holes, but those are always wet. They're called blinds here as well. I forgot about them when I said a blind is a structure.

Here, the exact same kinda structure is called a 'shanty' when it's on the ice for fishing. Folk would laugh if you called it a fishing blind.

thx
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

never used a blind or climbed a tree. shot a lot from the boat, which is like a blind 'cause the younger deer don't know that boats kill. the mature ones, yeah, they run.

called deer, they come running. stalked deer and got very close sometimes. it's not hard to walk up on them. if you are quiet. I can't sit still in the woods long enough to wait and see what's going to happen. don't like being the bear bait I guess. :lol:
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

As Firefuzz sez - "Number one.....I don't hunt public lands anymore"

Twice in my life and I tried it and do not like it!

Texas has little public land and so most hunting is on private land.
In my experience, many small plots of private land are almost as bad as public lands; the small properties = lots of people = lots of trespassing and poaching = increased risk to all.

The DWWC just held a youth doe hunt on a large MLD ranch near Albany, TX and the youngsters had a blast ( 5 doe for 8 hunters). New hunters had a guide + parent with kid and more experienced ones had a parent with them in an elevated box blind. The hardest part of the hunt was NOT shooting any of the huge bucks that often outnumbered the does. A game warden and a TPWD wildlife biologist spoke to the group Friday night after dinner and some parents learned a lot as well as the youth.

Safety first always!
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

BlaineG wrote:Blind or stand. .....
Yep. Whether ground or tree.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I HAVE a climber "Tree stand/seat", but I have only used it IN TOWN for licensed Depredation by Archery.

Otherwise I prefer Spot & Stalk - or, as it was originally taught to me, "Walking Point"....
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Tree stands are very seldom used in these parts although all the local stores display them. I prefer to slow hunt or still hunt as it is called here. Walk slow and make many stops for a few minutes.

In 40+ years of Deer hunting,I have seen exactly 1 (one) tree stand and it was void of hunter or gear at the time and made of wood like a platform nailed to two close trees.
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

Sounds like the guy from a Maine is being honest. :D
Slow is just slow.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Tree stands are difficult to use in Texas mesquite country, ergo the tower stands that can see over the mesquite. 8)
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Lived here all my life.

A "stand", or "tree stand", is either built in place, a climber, or a hang-on. I can't remember anybody using any of them before the early eighties. I'm sure some did, but I think the numbers were small compared to today.

A "blind" is either constructed of branches and boughs in the area or one of those pop-up thingy's they have now. I do remember running into a couple of the self constructed ones here and there over the years. I've heard of guy's using the pop-up ones to keep out of the wind when it's really cold.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

My stand. Not much for deer, but works great on prairie dogs and pronghorns. :lol:

crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Jnyork
I would call that a rest and I agree with you on using it for prairie dogs and antelope. I took a nice pronghorn in New Mexico that way with my 1886 .45-90 at 110 yards and with the engine off, it makes a very stable rest.

Another reason for the elevated box blinds is long shot shooting in winter wheat fields like this one where my grandson took his doe at 200+ yards. The field was at least 400 yards wide and much longer than that; estimating distance on such terrain can be problematic. :shock:

And here is one of my "box blinds" after hauling it in from the deer lease with my new "farm truck/hunting truck". :D .
Dan 444
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dan 444 »

Tycer wrote:
BlaineG wrote:Blind or stand. .....
Yep. Whether ground or tree.
Yep. Same here in Northern NY.
Dan
carbluesnake
Levergunner 2.0

Post by carbluesnake »

Mostly called stands and sometimes blinds in east Texas. They are used a lot in this area. They are for hunting from a warm place out of the weather, or to hide movement, or for newlyweds who share the stand and can't make up their mind whether they are hunting or making love. I know that for a fact, and it wasn't me!
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

A duck blind during a drought :)
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Deer blind? That guy huntin' that can't see a deer even if it pooped on him! :o :lol:
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...